just because we're young... OT rant

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Shayanna, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Shayanna

Shayanna Well-Known Member

apparently we are irresponsible and neglect our animals. for the second time since we've had our goats, i guess animal control is being called. this time because out goats apparently dont have shelter. just cause you cant see it from the road... the first time was before we had fencing and we were tethering (we were home). from the road you couldnt see each goat's water bucket. animal control showed up that time and was very impressed with how happy our herd was, no problems. i'm sure they'll say the same again. i mean, we have 4 goats on 10 acres, with fresh spring-fed creeks, and their choice between 2 sheds. i'm pretty sure they are content. not to forget, two weeks ago, as fern lay dying, the mentally retarded neighbor asks us " well, who hasn't been taking care of her?" people assume because we're young that we are just terrible people..

what do we need to do? offer tours of our farm? post signs at the road? "btw, our goats have food, water, shelter, and love." i am so ticked off right now its not funny... sorry about all the bad grammar, my hands are shaking.

2. CJBegins

CJBegins Well-Known Member Supporter

I am so sorry that you are surrounded by idiots that think they know better than you do how to care for your goats. Nosey people are the worst.

Hugs to you. This too shall pass.

Carla

3. Jyllie63

Jyllie63 Well-Known Member Supporter

So sorry Shayanna! I can tell you are a wonderful goat owner :). I'm sure animal control will see that too!

4. CaliannG

CaliannG She who waits.... Supporter

I don't get people like that.

I'm a grandmother...so I have my share of thinking things like, "Those young whippersnappers!" However, across the road from me is a young, 10 year old Hispanic girl....and I would be HAPPY for her to take care of my goats. She is sweet, utterly responsible for anything in her care, whether that be a younger child or a critter, and takes time to learn.

Youth only denotes a lack of time to gather up experience.... but ANYONE, if they so desire, can learn how to treat an animal properly with a minimum amount of effort.

And I know some 50-somethings that don't know squat about animals BECAUSE they won't expend the effort to learn. Willful ignorance and irresponsibility knows no age restrictions.

5. Shayanna

we had our share of nosey, bossy neighbors back when we were living in a suburb. i though by moving out into the country, just outside a tiny little town, people might mind there own business. guess not. my husband and i are some pretty good people in my opinion. hes 20, i'm 21, we have an 8 week old daughter (planned), a house of our own, steady income, and the beginning of a farm. i think that just screams responsible, but everybody is just looking for something to nit-pick about. oh well, when animal control comes by, i will just give them my number for the next time.

6. bruceki

bruceki Well-Known Member

Shayanna, I wrote an entry on my blog inspired by your post. You'll find it here. I've included examples of two other farmer/bloggers who have had similar problems. You're not alone, and have my sympathies. Please ignore the haters and continue caring for your animals.

how to [censored] a farmer off: Animal control

Bruce / blog.bigpig.net

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  7. mrs.H

mrs.H Romans 8:28

You and your family are not the sort of youth we hear about on the news. The folks around you probably just cant rap their mind around the fact that there are twenty somethings in the world who do more than drink and party and whatever. (as a matter of fact that would have been me in my late teens. Sorry I helped mess up the image!) 50 years ago you would have been the norm. They would have been bringing you cookies and inviting you to the church social.

8. Ford Zoo

Ford Zoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Chin up! There are too few young people anymore as willing as you 2 to work hard and achieve your dreams! We have some wonderful friends in their 50's who raise a menagerie of farm animals that are most of their livelihood. Their animals are well cared for, but since the place is not 'prestine' they have had mutliple complaints over the years. Anymore, it has gotten to the point that local animal control doesn't even go to their place anymore. They just call to tell my friends they got another complaint.

If this continues, hopefully your animal control people will also realize there's no validity in the complaints and not bother you with them.

9. aart

aart HOW do they DO that?

There's an -----hole around every corner, sometimes they line the block. . . you just have to learn to ignore them cause they'll always be some around. Sounds like AC is reasonable, thank goodness, so at least you've got that going for you. Hang in there!

10. HOTW

HOTW Well-Known Member

The problem now is we have non country people living in the country; they think they know better than everyone because they have watched a TV show on how neglectful farmers are! So they think they are doing the animals a favour by calling AC. It is one of the reasons why as much asI want to raise rabbits for food in my urban neighbourhoood I do not dare. If anyone got wind of me killing and eating the baby bunnies(and that is how they will think of it) I will end up losing not just my bunnies but my purebred dogs too!

It is why I am itching to get back to the cpuntry where I was raised and start enjoying the freedom of listening to bird song, not having kids run onto my property after their balls that htye hit ONTo my property and just be able to relax.

Oat Bucket Farm and DamnearaFarm like this.
  11. wintrrwolf

wintrrwolf Well-Known Member Supporter

(pondering) If it is the same people wonder after so many times can it be considered harassment ...whereas one could file a suit against such behavior??
    Its funny in one area someone calls AC and bam they are knocking on your door ...in another area someone calls in abuse or neglect and AC is like "whatever"

Pony, mrs.H and Oat Bucket Farm like this.
  12. Shayanna

we know who did it the first time. our township supervisor let it "slip" cause he was getting sick of complaints. the person who tipped us off this time won't tell us who it is because they don't want to start any trouble with their friend. you would think the person who tipped us off could have defended us, but thats a whole different story.
    the unemployment rate, and the sheer amount oc retirees are through the roof up here. i think they have too much time on their hands and are way too concerned about other people's business.

13. Ford Zoo

Ford Zoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Small town? When we go to breakfast the cafe is filled with old boys all having a good time talking with everyone. Everytime one leaves, someone makes a comment about him. Wonder what they say about us when we leave??

14. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I am so sorry that these people, rather than welcoming you with open arms, are doing their best to drive you off.

Don't you let them get to you.

Wintrrwolf makes a good point. After a certain number of bogus accusations, it becomes harassment, and there are laws against that.

Praying that you and your little family will continue to do well, and that at least one of your neighbors will do the right thing by showing up at your door with a plate of cookies and warm welcome.

15. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I love to shut down gossips by asking them that same question: "What do you say about us when we leave?"

Yeah, I'm kind of snarky that way. :rolleyes:

Ardie/WI, TJN66, CaliannG and 5 others like this.
  16. where I want to

where I want to Well-Known Member

Hmmm- so you think that old people are picking on you because you are young? As an old person, I have a thought that you may be putting too much emphasis on that. I can remember thinking about someone who was really young that time might change their thoughts about something but never assumed they were incompetent just for being young.
    How do you get an old fool? You start with a young one. It's a life long process for some people.
    There are quite a few people, young and old, who think of themselves as defenders of animals everywhere. Even though they are clueless. It's just part of the culture at the moment.
    It is irritating to think that anyone would consider you cruel to your animals. It is like someone looking over your shoulder and judging everything you do.
    Is there anyway you can defuse this, just to be left alone?

DamnearaFarm likes this.
  17. mekasmom

mekasmom Well-Known Member Supporter

AR people are nuts. Perhaps you have a person around you who sees every animal as abused or neglected.
    I'm sorry you are going through this. I would assume it is just one nasty, hateful person who is causing all the issues.

18. Goat Servant

Goat Servant Well-Known Member Supporter

^This

19. Tallabred

Tallabred Cathy Supporter

Isn't animal control a government financed department? In Florida all government records are public - you just have to request them.

I like your idea of a sign - put animal controls name and number on it - or the name and number of the first accuser. File a case of harassment!

20. Shayanna

people around here (my town) assume too much and are very close minded. the people across the street (are also kind of new around here) have occasionally had people over and played the stereo loud. because of that, there is a rumor that they are drug dealers. we happen to know one of them is a 20 something year old who works 60-70 hrs a week in a factory. i'm not picking on the older generation. alot of the people around here have been living here for their entire lives, and when someone new comes to the neighborhood, or something changes, they gossip at the local breakfast joint and people become "slobs", "drug dealers", or "animal abusers/neglecters".

Oat Bucket Farm likes this.