Just because the sun goes down doesn't mean the yard chores have to end

Discussion in 'Country Singletree' started by Shrek, May 8, 2018.

1. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

While resting after some daylight chores I noticed how tall some scrub brush trees were growing beside the shed, so after bringing the dogs in I went out and cut down five feet of them to trim down and chip up on the porch tonight before turning in.

If I keep cutting back 5 feet a night, in two weeks or so I will have the brush row eliminated or close to while doing the more important food crop related chores.

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  2. Kiamichi Kid

Kiamichi Kid The Renegade...

When you get that finished you can come on over to my place and get stared.

Terri and DKWunlimited like this.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........Were they hackberry tree's ? They grow fast , get infections and tree rot around the area where the main trunk(s) usually divide over time ! Eventually , the Big Wind blows through , splits the trunks apart and sometimes does damage to a home or vehicle . , fordy

5. CajunSunshine

CajunSunshine Joie de vivre!

ha ha! Sometimes I don't know when to quit either, so I turn on my truck's headlights and keep on going. Small jobs, I just strap on my headlamps.

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  6. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Well I got the 9 forearm sized brush timbers stripped, stacked the larger ones on the wire drying rack in the shed to use to make a log cabin dog house to sell and the smaller straight limbs on the old bread rack to make bird houses and the twig and leaf shoots cut down to put on the hardwood compost pile tomorrow.

Kid,
    I think I will pass on doing yours and let you use it as post op strengthening after your stitches are out. The mess in areas here is growing so fast this season, a friend who did his basic and AIT at Fort Polk said watching me last week in snake leg guards and holstered revolver with snake shot as I machete and hand saw cut some of the brush areas reminded him of his time training in the Tigerland training area before he shipped out to Vietnam. :)

One thing I have figured out is clearing the brush and cane areas is a no win situation because even though it clears out potential snake areas, it keeps adding to the mowing time to keep the brush in check LOL.

Now to get 8 or 9 hours sleep before prepping and planting another raised bed, mulch mowing the dogs round track run pen and over a brush pile before going to the edge of the jungle again.

Then I plan to rest for a day or two before doing some of the proper lawn mowing around the house and between the house and the "Talladogga" round track.

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  7. Allen W

Allen W Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem to be any end to brush control. I have some older drought stressed honey locust shooting sprouts up every where as one of their last acts.

8. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

What I thought we beautiful sweet smelling shrubs popping up in our timber many years ago have turned out to be Japanese Honeysuckle, an invasive and hard to kill plant that spreads in short order. Despite yearly efforts both spring and fall, they are now a mainstay.

9. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Yeah......

I cut mine after I get the garden seeded-first things first- and by then they have usually bloomed. Glorious, aren't they?

This year I have stump killer to hit them with after I cut 'em.

GTX63 likes this.
  10. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

I poisoned my honey locust as per the forestry instruction. They are now in glorious full leaf. "Sometimes it takes them a season to die." Well, I'm waiting.

Terri likes this.
  11. Allen W

Allen W Well-Known Member

I sprayed some trees late last fall, didn't seem to phase the honey locust. I honestly was just to late, they aren't hard to kill if you don't want to kill them.