Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shrug: Was outside yesterday watching my girls and Sugar my lamancha started to scratch at the ground and then rub her head on the ground right around where she had scratched. I have only had them since the 8th and they really have been scared and not doing much. ( been real hot here too). But she really was interesting to watch yesterday. She also got running and bucking :hobbyhors ( sorta like a horse) all over the place. Looked like she was playing. Hubby thought that her scratching the ground and rubbing her horns in the dirt might be her putting down her scent like a male deer does. Is that what she might have been doing? Do females do that? I thought she just had an itch. :rolleyes: She was born in early Feb. of this year, so she is right around 5 months old.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
What kind of ground is she on? Ours rub in the coal dust, especially in buggy weather. It looks like they find it soothing and possibly a bit of a bug deterrent.

They also really love to rub in fire ashes. Buster likes it the most and has earned himself the nickname "Duster" when he gets kicking and rubbing in the dust.

The whole herd also enjoys steep dry areas (either poor soil or coal dust areas) and they have put in a series of slides for themselves. They scoot themselves down hill toboggan style. (Which is called "Clyde style" here after the goat that was first to perfect the technique.) :)

We also have a couple of concrete mushrooms in the back yard. Those used to be favorite "tuffets" for our goats to perch on. Then we got Bindy and she showed everyone how to use them for belly rubbers - so now they are another favorite scratch/rub area.

Lynda

·
Registered
362 Posts
Petsneggs: Check her for bot eggs as well. They are pesky little buggers that can do alot of harm if they get on broken skin. It will cause alot of pain and discomfort if they do, which can cause beahvior. Most likely you're dealing with buggy weather, who isn't. All of ours guys, horses, dogs, cats, goat, sheep, donekys, chickens, pigs, are constatly in the dirt and dust to keep all the flies and gnats and creepy crawlies off, it's a bad year especially for those of us in a dry spell. Just keep and eye on her, and spray her down with some fly spray see if that helps, Eucalytpus oil works great. I think she's probably just being exuberant, but just check the areas she was scratching just in case! I would love to see what a bucking goat looks like...get a pic if you can!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Mine rub their heads on the ground. Especially my alpine doe who uses me as her personal itching post... she always seems to find the area behind her eyes and where her horns were burned really itchy. She'll rub her entire face on the ground. I've caught the others doing it occasionally too. Mine only do it in the area where compacted sand meets loosened sand.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try to get a pic of her and I appreciate the help. They have a mixed area of grass, brush and loose sandy dirt on top of hard packed dirt. She really won't let me get to close to her yet but, she gets close enough that I can see she has no cuts or abrasions. Lynda, a slide? way to cool... we don't have any hilly area here but, I noticed that they love the palletts that I put out back for them to climb on.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Heck, mine get down and roll in the dust like a horse does. It's natural, no biggie. Like humans putting bath powder on. Plus they get scratched where they can't reach that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts