Just A reminder.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by james dilley, Oct 21, 2005.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Now is the time of year the nasty little vermin come in I Am talking about RATS &MICE now is the time to seal up any little holes and to close off there tunnels. Don't forget to also clean up around the buildings and keep you wood up and off the ground so them nasties can't get under and nest...This is the time to practice preventive measures ,

2. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

I already had a chipmunk run in while the door was open--and it got stuck behind the kitchen stove. Had to move the darn stove out without crushing the poor thing and then chased it out the back door.lol Mice are easier to deal with.

3. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

There is a rodent poison called HawkBait that has been very effective for us. Last fall we had quite a rat problem. Between the goat barn, chicken coop, root cellar and black walnut tree, we were offering a vermin buffet. :eek:

Hawk Bait is about a 2" square cube that they will take back to their nest. In fact, we set one down in the root cellar and it disappeared within 10 minutes! I checked with our vet and if a cat were to get a mouse ingested with this, it would not be enough poison to hurt the cat.

Trick is to continually put it out in the rodent's pathway. It will disappear at first, but keep putting it out until, one day, it won't disappear.

We even had a cat walking around with a mouse still in the trap.

4. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I hate those meeces to pieces !! We have had too many in the house lately, been catching them in a mouse trap. Maybe Santa Claus will bring me one of those new fangled electric ones that zaps the little buggers.