just a reminder to wear your gloves when trimming

Discussion in 'Goats' started by full sun, Nov 19, 2006.

1. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

I thought about wearing them on the first goat, but just wanted to get it done. :nono: On the 3rd hoof of the 4th goat, I sliced the tip of my thumb. Ugh, my filthy hands and those filthy trimmers. I can't remember my last tetanus shot, so I should go get that shot. I'm not badly hurt, but it's so hard to get anything done with a slice on the thumb! SHould have grabbed those gloves!

Just a friendly reminder...
    Jennifer

2. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

Ugh. Just did mine yesterday. Didn't wear gloves though. Thanks for the reminder of how stupid I was.
    Glad yours wasn't a bad cut.
    HF

3. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

I looked up on my shot record and my last tetanus booster was 9 1/2 years ago. Phew! I will have to remember to get the shot in the spring.

My brother works construction and just got his booster at his annual check-up just as a preventative. What a concept!! As little kids, we always went to the ER for the shot after the accident already happened. But working around and taking care of the animals, I think it's prudent to just get the shot every ten years as a maintenance.

So friendly reminder to stay current on your tetanus shot...
    Jennifer

4. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

I seem to remember a thread recommending a tetnus every 5 years-especially when working around animals (horses in particular). It makes sense-farmers seem to have a higher risk.
    lol we tend to get it only when hurt, too.
    HF

5. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Ouch! I've had that happen. I feel your pain.

NeHi

6. lyceum

lyceum Well-Known Member

Ouch! My mom does that on at least one goat every time we do hooves. She also gets huge blisters that make it great fun to trim hooves and hand milk. Another reason to wear gloves.

Lyceum

7. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Wowee! That must have smarted, and as you say - a dirty wound to boot.

When my DH immigrated over here from GB, he got a tetanus shot and they told him it was a lifetime shot and he'd never need another. I was there when they said it. Anyone else heard of such a thing?

8. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

And it always seems like those cuts made by hoof trimmers take FOREVER to heal. Too many germs maybe?

Niki

9. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I've never cut myself doing hooves in 5 years, maybe I'm just lucky... The only time I wear my gloves is when doing the bucks' feet, because I just don't want to touch thier legs, hehe.

10. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

11. Woodroe

Woodroe Well-Known Member

I have had a couple accidents too. I use a xacto knife/box cutter to trim and have slipped a time or two. I now use my leather gloves when the deed must be done.

12. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Everytime I struggle with my trimmers I remind myself to get Ross to sharpen them for me....then they'll slice through my thumb easy...thanks for the heads up on the gloves.