Just a funny...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MrsFarmerWilly, May 15, 2006.

1. MrsFarmerWilly

MrsFarmerWilly Well-Known Member

Last week I posted a thread regarding a recipe for making homemade laundry detergent. I found the recipe and spent the day Saturday dragging my grown daughter with me trying to find Fels Naptha Soap and Washing Soda. Finally curosity got the better of her and the look on her face when I told her what I was going to do was priceless. THEN I guess to add fuel to the fire, when asked what my sweetie bought me for Mothers Day I gushed about the TWO bars of soap he had found me and the BOX of washing soda. This morning she landed on the doorstep with two huge bottles of Tide for me. That was before I sat her down and did the math with her. For less than 5.00 and a little elbow grease to grate the soap, my container would out last both of her bottles of Tide that she had spent 40.00 on. The proof was in watching as I pulled loads of laundry out of the washer that were almost blindingly clean. But then I lost her as I threw my clothespins over my shoulder and headed out to the line in 50 degree weather, for after all the sun WAS out!

Forever a fan...long live Fels Naptha!

2. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

:rock: I always pick up an extra bar or two when I'm at the store...I'm always worried that I won't be able to find it someday.... :)

3. debd0712

debd0712 Well-Known Member

I make my laundry detergent with Ivory soap. It works great, and the Ivory is always easy to find. I also use white vinegar in one of those Downy balls as fabric softner. It works much better than any of the fabric softeners from the store and is much less expensive.

Debbie

4. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

what's the recipe pls?

5. Niki

Niki mini-steader

That's too cute! I have also been enjoying the looks on people's faces when I tell them what I am doing. The looks I got when I told people I made butter this weekend was just awesome! I love coming out of the closet :D

6. Niki

Niki mini-steader

btw, do you really only use a couple of tablespoonfuls? That floors me! I found the washing soda and the borax this weekend, but no fels naptha. It was unreal! I will have to do some more window shopping first ;) I didn't end up buying the ingredients because they were at a store that is known to be overpriced, so I am waiting till I find a better deal :D

7. Niki

Niki mini-steader

8. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

1/2 cup borax
    1/2 cup washing soda
    1 cup grated fels naptha soap

I sat and grated while watching a movie last night, and now have 4 months worth of laundry soap.

9. Northumberland

Northumberland Well-Known Member

I had such a hard time finding Fels Naptha - doesn't seem to be available in my part of the world that when I found it while on vacation I bought 12 bars.

10. Niki

Niki mini-steader

I think I can find it at Walmart...*shudder* I bet the hardware store might have it. Hmmmm

11. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

I once had a batch of homemade lye soap that siezed while making it. The EO I was using caused it - not uncommon. It was worthless as bar soap (and I was too lazy to re-batch it). So I just grated it up, chucked in some borax, and called it laundry soap. Worked just fine. Just a thought if anyone was into making their own bath soap - it doubles as laundry soap.

12. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

$40!!! Oh wow,I didn't realize Tide was that expensive. Good grief,that's unbelieveable. I never buy it...when I do buy soap,I buy that cheaper stuff. I make soap sometimes...and sometimes,I'll use ivory. Just depends on what I have around.

13. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

hey , they have Naptha soap on EBAY!!!

14. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

15. Niki

Niki mini-steader

I am going to take a look at the local dollar stores first, but it is nice to know I can run on over to Lehman's and pick some up :D Thanks for checking their site!

16. Niki

Niki mini-steader

Making my own bath soap is going to be my next project ;) It would be awesome to make laundry soap out of homemade soap :D

17. MrsFarmerWilly

I wasn't able to find either the Washing Soda or the Fels Naptha at Walmart or anyother local store for that matter. My sweetie found it at a Meijers store that he passes to an from work. I did find the Fels Naptha soap online at: www.soapgonebuy.com
    By the bar it sold for 1.25 but you could buy a box for 1.00 a bar. Not sure what shipping or handling would be. My husband makes fun of me for using a bath towel one time and then washing it..after all you are drying a clean body with a clean towel. So the first load of laundry I did was a load of towels. I peeked in as it was washing to make sure the soap was dissolving.....the water was BLACK! I would have been mortified if anyone else had seen that, but then again I was too busy going, "OH WOW, how neat!" After relaying the story to my sweetie, I noticed his once used towel was in the laundry hamper this morning! :)

18. MrsFarmerWilly

btw, do you really only use a couple of tablespoonfuls?

Yes ma'am, the most I used yesterday was 2 tablespoons and that was on Bill's farm jeans! I also wondered just how well the Fels Naptha would grate? I used an old cheese grater and it is powder fine. Now the soap I did find was one called Octagon. I'm not familiar with that one, but I wasn't familiar with Fels Naptha either. So next go around I'm trying it in my soap. Sure was easier to find.