Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Shazbot!
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a dog

From time to time, people tell me, “lighten up, it’s just a dog,” or “that’s a lot of money for just a dog.”

They don’t understand the distance travelled, the time spent, or the costs involved for “just a dog.”

Some of my proudest moments have come about with “just a dog.”

Many hours have passed and my only company was “just a dog,” but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by “just a dog,” and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of “just a dog” gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it’s “just a dog,” then you probably understand phrases like “just a friend,” “just a sunrise,” or “just a promise.”

“Just a dog” brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.

“Just a dog” brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of “just a dog” I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it’s not “just a dog” but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

“Just a dog” brings out what’s good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that its’ not “just a dog” but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being “just a man” or “just a woman.”

So the next time you hear the phrase “just a dog,” just smile, because they “just don’t understand.”

Author unknown!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I put my lab to sleep last fall, I had a thread going about it. Anyway I love to hike in the cooler weather and especially the dead of winter. I always took my lab with, ALWAYS. This past winter I didn’t go hiking once. Without my partner around, I just didn’t see the point in it. I guess I did it for him as much as for me, because I know how he loved to explore and run. It almost seemed pointless going by myself. Bird hunting season with no lab is obviously disappointing, but the taking the hike thing I never realized till he was gone, I thought I was doing it for me all those years, turns out it was for “us”.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
It's true, every word. Three years ago I had to say goodbye to yet another "just a dog." I made the decision, no more the pain was too big. The year before I had lost my husband so the house was now empty. The companions that went outside with me were gone.

Fast forward two years and there she was. I stumbled across another that has me laughing before I leave my bed in the morning and makes me laugh before sleep at night.

@67drake , I hope you don't stop there. There is another out there. It won't take over the space your good boy filled but it will help fill the void. I know from first hand experience.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Just a dog

From time to time, people tell me, “lighten up, it’s just a dog,” or “that’s a lot of money for just a dog.”

They don’t understand the distance travelled, the time spent, or the costs involved for “just a dog.”

Some of my proudest moments have come about with “just a dog.”

Many hours have passed and my only company was “just a dog,” but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by “just a dog,” and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of “just a dog” gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it’s “just a dog,” then you probably understand phrases like “just a friend,” “just a sunrise,” or “just a promise.”

“Just a dog” brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.

“Just a dog” brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of “just a dog” I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it’s not “just a dog” but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

“Just a dog” brings out what’s good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that its’ not “just a dog” but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being “just a man” or “just a woman.”

So the next time you hear the phrase “just a dog,” just smile, because they “just don’t understand.”

Author unknown!
This is a wonderful tribute to all dogs and the humans who love them! There is never "just a dog". They are all special and the death of one cannot be replaced by having another doggie companion. However, the next doggie brings its own special qualities to a relationship with its humans.

My first dog was a stray Beagle who showed up at our house scared and starving. I was twelve and enticed her into the house with a trail of bread crumbs. My Dad advertised in lost and found. Remaining unclaimed she became mine and "she, just a dog" became "Cleo". Cleo filled a void in my life as I had no childhood companions. We were inseparable. Cleo died unexpectedly way too soon but not before gifting us with her puppies; Herman, Patty, and Tippy. The pups all had their own unique personality and place in my heart.

Just as each of a couple's own children is unique and brings new life to a family so it is with our canine companions. We lost our last dog, Molly, to old age. It was devastating and we said, "never again". Now four and a half years have passed. Molly lives in our hearts. But with me; I am ready to risk again being vulnerable and opening my heart to a new doggie.
Thankyou nchobbyfarm for sharing the beautiful post and reminding us there is never "just a dog".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts