jursey for meat

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by myheaven, Apr 24, 2006.

1. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

I can get a couple jursey steer to raise for meat but I wonder if it is worth it. Cost of feed and all. Have any of you raised the steers for meat. Was it worth it how was the meat?

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

The meat from a jersey is excellent. They're not quite as efficient as some, and may take a little longer to finish out to weight, but it's definitely worth doing. I'm feeding a couple of jerseys right now just because I could get them so much cheaper than holsteins.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

That's all I rear for the freezer and I do it deliberately.
    As Ty has said, they take a little longer to grow out and will never reach the size and weight of a Friesian or a beef breed but will still provide all the meat you can eat - and it's excellent eating.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Ditto!!

5. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Jersey meat is wonderful, & well worth the extra wait. It has a slightly different taste than a beef breed, & some people are put off by the yellow fat, but I prefer it to any other kind of beef, myself.

6. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

Ditto, Ditto and Ditto

Blessings, Jim

7. george darby

george darby Well-Known Member

i agree it has a reputation of winning the blind taste test on flavor and tenderness .just butchered a large gurnsey steer for myself exelent meat the cuts from a jersey are a little different shape than a angus but it usualy has a better flavor as for the smaller size if you need that much meat butcher 2,i realy dont think the conversion rate is that much different just a time frame factor

8. Philip

Philip Philip

We produce a Jersey/Lowline cross and its excellent. Because of the blockiness of the Lowline we slaughter from about 10 months anyway, depending on the amount of feed available (and after the dry weather here this summer we've already booked in the butcher for one with the others off to the saleyards)

9. seanmn

seanmn Well-Known Member

I dont know anything about how economical it would be but my neighboor raised up a Jersey heifer for his own supply and said it was the best beef he's had and now he's looking for another one...

10. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I don't quite see the logic in taking a heifer that would bring a couple o' thousand bucks and putting her in the freezer.

11. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless she was a freemartin....?? They make great eatin'! Otherwise it sounds like an expensive steak to me! :)