Jung's Seed Deal

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Rita, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

On the last page of the new Jung's catalogue there is an heirloom seed deal that I am going to order. It is 31 full size pkgs of heirloom seeds for $20. I plan to seal them with my Food Saver and put them in the freezer for future use and continue to plant my regular selections.. There are some items I have never planted but that might be interesting. A friend said with all the fiddling around with seeds that companies are doing we might just have to go back to heirlooms and harvest our own seed!

2. bgraham

bgraham Well-Known Member

Rita,

I just placed an order with Jung's yesterday. :) I seriously considered ordering the heirloom package but I ordered SO MANY heirloom seeds from Baker Creek last year that I decided not to (and I'm getting ready to order some more :baby04: lol).

I think it is important to save open pollinated seeds. That is all I am going to plant in the garden. Baker Creek (rareseeds.com) has a great selection.

Anyway, from Jung's I ordered Strawberries, Sweet Potatoes, Russett seed potatoes, foxgloves and the iris special. :sing: I am so excited!! Can't wait to start planting again!

Beth

3. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Beth, I would love to order the two apple trees that they say are "no spray" as we don't have much luck. The blueberry bush (Chandler I think) that has blueberries the size of cherries looked super. I have some plants coming up using the winter sowing that I tried last year so I still have my gardening gloves on! Rita

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

How long will they survive in the freezer?

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

At -40, centuries.

Martin

6. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

really? Wow! How about at -20 (our freezers temp :D) and how about if it goes through a thaw cycle (cause blackouts happen)?

7. Paquebot

I suspect that -20F would also keep them viable for a long time. The -40F/C is what the seed banks maintain as the best all-around temperature. 0F is good for 50 years. 33F is good for 20 years.

Martin

8. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

what is the order# in the catalog? its not in the website that i can find

9. Paquebot

It's 04150 and in the middle of Centennial Heritage 2007. One spelling error but I'll forgive them! www.jungseed.com/jungsite/jungsiteviewproduct.aspx?ProductID=28833 Interesting that they selected a bean that I've grown for a number of years and still do, Pencil Pod Wax. The tomato is also one that I offered here last year, John Baer.

Martin

10. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

thank you for the link, gonna have to pass tho, already have most of those items already :D

11. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

I am ordering that selection as well. :p

12. Christine in OK

Christine in OK Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't had a chance to look at my catalog yet - it came a few days ago and we've been really busy. But, I've been meaning to call a friend of mine and ask her if any of those pictures are of her Mom, Mr. Jung was her grandpa! Plus, we usually put our orders together to save on shipping.

13. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you so much for posting this! I just ordered it as it's exactly what I was wanting for my garden this year!

14. Paquebot

The word I got today is that it is indeed a popular item. However, there is disappointment in that the packaging was not according to what is depicted in the catalogs. Some of that was due to a major snafu by the company that now prints the Jung's catalogs. 1,200,000 catalogs were printed, stapled, and ready to be mailed when it was discovered that the 8 center pages and the order form were not in them. The printer offered to include them as a separate insert and mail the whole works in a plastic wrapper. Jung's said no and 1,200,000 catalogs were shredded and re-printed!

Martin

15. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Martin,
    Do you mean, perhaps, that in addition to the catalog errors --- that the packaging of the actual seeds is not as dipicted in the catlog?

I, and some of my friends, have ordered the centenial package, more so for the old time seed packets, rather then just for the seeds!

Yes, I know! Some people may be aghast at the very thought of it!
    But, those seed packets are going to look so good in a basket on a table come spring time.

Really cute for decor in a country home!

16. Paquebot

Tallpines, I'm reasonably certain that the packets are all the same. Those in the store are no different than the ordinary seeds. I was expecting to be able to rush right to those varieties because of the different colors. Wasn't to be!

Martin

17. tallpines

Forgive me for being a PEST.

When you say---they are the same......
    Do you mean the SAME as pictured in the catalog for the centenial special?

Or---the SAME as the usual--everyday Jung seed packets?

18. Paquebot

All packets are the same in the store. That is, white with black or purple print.

Martin

19. tallpines