Jung's "misleading" ad

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by tallpines, Jan 16, 2007.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Jung's is celebrating their Centennial.
    The 2007 catalog is WONDERFUL with lots of specials including a Centennial Seed Special where they offer 31 full sized packet of seeds for $20.oo.

The ad pictures the 31 seed packets as they may have looked way back then.
    The old-time pictures on the packets are beautiful!

The packets, themselves would make a beautiful display, either framed, or just setting in a basket, on the table!

But, alas!
    The actual packets ARE NOT as pictured in the catalog.

I, for one, am VERY DISAPPOINTED!
    Apparently they have MANY unhappy customers!

They NEVER imagined that people would be buying the 'centenial seeds' just for the paper packets!

Apart from the "seed packets", they have gotten requests for "posters" with the image of the old catalogs. People want to frame them.

The people at Jung's are somewhat bewildered over the fact that people are wanting these items for "decorating puuposes" and not just for the seeds.

2. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

Oh no I ordered them to use the seed packets as a "walpaper" border in my laundry room. I guess I should call them and see if it is too late to change my order

3. tallpines

They said they will gladly cancel an order, or refund money for anyone who has already received their order.

BUT---Please!

Ask to speak with a Supervisor, and express your disappointment!

1(800) 247-5864

I'm hoping they may be inspired to actually PRINT some of those old time packets but, we need to let them know that there are lots of people who are interested in them!

4. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

Glad I read this. I was all set to order three sets, one for myself and one for two of my sisters. I'd have been very unhappy when I received the order.

5. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Someone else had indicated the packages weren't as expected but didn't elaborate much.

While I would love the seed packets as well (I planned to display them in a large poster frame) I'm still ordering the seeds.

And, I wouldn't hold this against the company. Jungs is one of the few seed companies that are 'true to their roots' so to speak. (pun totally intended!) :p

6. tallpines

No, I won't hold it against them, either.

But -------
    I hope enough people will let them know that they were EXPECTING the packets as pictured in the ad.

I'm hoping all those comments will lead them to produce the seed packets that we all had been expecting!

If not for this year, then, maybe NEXT year!

7. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Kinda like when you order a hamburger on the menu, and it looks all pretty and perfect, and you get this smashed thing with the cheese sliding off over here, a tower of pickles in just one spot and mayonaise dangling off one side? LOL, I sometimes want to take it up there, point to the picture of the item I ordered, and say "No, I'm sorry, I wanted that" :)

8. OK Yankee

OK Yankee Well-Known Member

OMG! Southerngurl! I laughed til I cried! You are so right! I have thought of that,too. Someone I knew went up to the counter and demanded one like the picture said it should look.
    Maybe calls or e-mails will spur Jung'a to develope neat seed packets from now on.

Yankee

9. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

LOL :rotfl:

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

WooHoo...got my order yesterday. I don't care what the seed packages look like as I think this was a GREAT deal for the amount of seeds I received.

11. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

31 full-sized packets for $20. That figures out to about .65 per packet. That's a complete huge garden there. There's at least 5 or 6 among them that I want to add this year. I'm hoping to have an extra plot available for the two sweet corns and another for the Rocky Ford melon. Oxheart Carrots and British Wonder Peas also on that list. 12 others, I've already been growing for years!

Martin

12. tallpines

I did not cancel my order, because, I sgree that it is still a great deal.

But, I do hope they will recognize the potential for added sales by, perhaps, offering the kind of packaging that is pictured in their ad.

The gal I spoke with at Jung's said, beside getting calls about the seed packets in that particular offer, they are also amazed at the number of people requesting full sized posters of several of their older catalogs.

I found the write up of their history to be very interesting.
    Overall, it's a very interesting catalog.

I'm looking forward to a visit to their Stevens Point store on my next road trip to visit my parents.

13. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I was really pleased to see the Rocky Ford cantaloupe seed. Last year the cantaloupe I planted just didn't have a good taste and my mom told me to get Rocky Ford this year because, in her opinion, they're the best.