junebearer strawberries

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by HermitJohn, Jan 12, 2005.

1. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Ok, got it in my head to plant new stawberry bed this spring. I unfortunately let my old bed die out few years ago.

Ok, Sunrise did wonderful for me last time. Got them from Mellingers which is now going out of buisiness and they dont have strawberries left in their close out inventory. Havent found any other places selling Sunrise cheap. Did find place called Bloomingbulb.com with google search. They have a Junebearer called Allstar. They are volume seller and want about as much for 100 plants as they do for 10. Anyway 100 plants are $13 plus $6 shipping. Any better deal out there? I really dont need over 50 plants, but for same money I'll take 100 and hope half grow.... I sure dont get but one or two garden catalogs anymore, since I buy few seeds and so just buy locally to avoid the crazy handling fees many catalogs charge.

Also does anybody have experience with Allstar in NW AR region? Thanks.

2. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

No strawberry people here? Or just nobody having experience with these varieties? Other recommendations for junebearing varieties for the Ozarks? I still havent run across any better deal than the Allstar plants from Bloomingbulb.com. From garden site that rates catalogs/nurseries, Bloomingbulb seems to be quite reputable with decent quality stuff. Only one place selling Sunrise that I can find and they arent cheap. Really too bad as it did ever so well here.

At this point I am considering possibly some Earliglo (early season) from small ozark nursery off ebay and the Allstar(mid-late season) from Bloomingbulb. Really needs to be junebearing here as July/August drought/heat would kill production of any everbearer during those weeks. Think one would need more even precip to get much from everbearers.

3. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

HermitJohn,
    I tried the Tristars (day neutral) when they came out. They bore well, as long as you kept them watered and fertilized. However, I discovered that a little black bug would ruin the crop come August.
    My sister has a fantastic strawberry bed of the old standby, Ozark Everbearer. They do so well in IN, I think my next bed will be those. (PLUS, I can get starts for FREE) :D

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I lioke honeyhoes, I think that is how you spell it. I order from gurneys, they have their own giants too, that are really big, and sweet. I prefer all jun bearers, to the all summer bearing, I think my june bearing, have bigger berries, and they are sweeter. course, i always water, in the spring with sugar water. probablyt doesn't do a thing, but it maks me feel better. smae with soaking my water melon seeds in sugar water. oh well, what can i say>