Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why not?

Pick a number and go for it.

I'm going big and going for 17 lbs. I'm going to try intermittent fasting and walking, pus a lot of fiber. I noticed a couple of days ago how out of shape I have gotten, so I am going to walk at least 5 days a week.

I watched a Jason Fung (Fasting and type 2 diabetes expert) video yesterday and he made the point that if insulin is too high you won't lose weight, your metabolism will just slow down to match calories in. I think that might be at least partially my problem, so I need to make sure my blood glucose levels stay in a good range.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,248 Posts
Ok. I am in. I would like to lose eight to ten pounds in June. That will be most of it.

I need to get MUCH more active.

Alcohol consumption is already reduced. Doing intermittent fasting.

Going to walk at 8:00 am most days.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Count my in too. Six pounds is my target, which will get rid of the four I've gained over the last couple months, plus a bit more. I've been slacking off a bit too much, and not exercising enough, especially since I'm still working from home at a desk job. Last year working from home actually helped me lose weight,a little each month, along with a thread here on HT. Now, not so much. I need to go back to climbing the stairs in my condo, 12 flights, plus simply more physical activity. Yep, six pounds should be manageable.

·
Super Moderator
16,788 Posts
2 pounds is my goal.

This does not sound like much, but if I do not eat enough then my blood sugar drops too far and I feel sick. For me slow and steady does the best

Over the last 6 months I have lost eight pounds: I intend to lose 17 more before I am done.

·
STILL not Alice
20,223 Posts
Hm. Sounds like a good idea.

I lost 40 pounds a couple of years ago, by eating lazy keto. Gradually, the carbs crept back in, and I gained 15 pounds.

I'll shoot for 5 pounds. When it comes off too quickly, it seems to find its way home.

Would love to fit back into the clothes I got when I lost the 40 pounds, as well as my wedding ring. Wearing one of those silicone rings now, but want to wear the one DH put on my finger 21 years ago next month.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I'm going back to what worked, more vegetables, lean protein,fruit and some carbs - I need my slice of multi grain toast in the morning and pasta now and then.. plus a little ice cream and medicinal chocolate too! The key is "little". I also weigh myself every morning and note the number in a little notebook. I don't get fussed if the number is higher one day and lower the next, what matters is the result at the end of the month.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had to replace the batteries in my scale this morning. I stepped on the scales and it said I had gained 4 lbs since yesterday afternoon. I thought maybe, since the batteries were low, the readings from the last few days were incorrect. I stepped on the scales again and all is right in the world again, weight right where I expected it to be.

·
Registered
10,331 Posts
We just bought a FitBit watch for my husband. It was purchased for the sleep option to monitor his sleeping - which works very well. We never thought we would spend the money on something like this but it has turned out to be more than just a watch and way to monitor his sleep. All the exercise functions - steps, stairs, cardio, weight goal etc - have had an amazing effect on his desire to exercise. During the day when he sees that he has not reached his goal for steps or anything else he ups his exercise and is now in competition with himself. We can offset the cost by cutting down on groceries - sticking only to the healthy foods.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We just bought a FitBit watch for my husband. It was purchased for the sleep option to monitor his sleeping - which works very well. We never thought we would spend the money on something like this but it has turned out to be more than just a watch and way to monitor his sleep. All the exercise functions - steps, stairs, cardio, weight goal etc - have had an amazing effect on his desire to exercise. During the day when he sees that he has not reached his goal for steps or anything else he ups his exercise and is now in competition with himself. We can offset the cost by cutting down on groceries - sticking only to the healthy foods.
I should do that. I have a Garmin but I really bought it just to track heart rate.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I've already realized this week that my "just a bite" has been ....at least triple that. Flip side, is that I can already tell that my body appreciates going back to smaller meals with more vegetables and fruit, and snacks, and much longer walks. The scale hasn't budged, no matter how many times I try to sneak up on it in hopes the number will change, but I can feel the difference.

·
STILL not Alice
20,223 Posts
Down 2 pounds. Just saying "no!" to chocolates (even though we have a BIG honkin' box of the fancy flavored Lindt truffles). Also, not eating after 6 pm.

Reactions: MAWL and alida

·
STILL not Alice
20,223 Posts
Down 2 pounds. If only I could just give away those lovely Lindt chocolates hiding in the freezer....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts