June 2017 Tightwad Tips and Thrifty Hacks

Discussion in 'Tightwad Tips and Frugal Living Archive' started by wr, Jun 7, 2017.

1. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Apparently, the whole world falls apart when grandmotherbear goes on holidays.

2. coffeecassie

coffeecassie Member

HaHa! I was wondering when the June thread would pop up! My tip... I was looking for a copy of the Tightwad Gazette on Amazon. I just assumed that a used paperback would be the cheapest.... Searched a little further and found that hardback cover copies (used) were several $ cheaper than the used paperbacks... including shipping! Who'd of thought? So I guess my tip is, check all formats when shopping for used books! I'd put off this purchase for a while because I'd never found the paperback version in my budget!

3. pixiedoodle

pixiedoodle Well-Known Member

DETERMINED TO USE ALL OF THE FROZEN ZUC. IN THE BIG FRZR FROM 2 OR MORE YRS AGO TO MAKE SPICY ZUC RELISH, COOK DOWN, BAG UP & BACK INTO THE FRZR. WILL DO THE SAME WITH TOMS I STUCK IN THE FRZR LAST YR. WILL SIMMER LONG ENOUGH FOR THE PEELS TO COME OFF & THEN I WILL PERHAPS SEASON &/OR MAKE INTO STEWED TOMS & BACK INTO THE FRZR. HAS ANYONE EVER TRIED MAKING HOME MADE SOUP USING THIER STEWED TOMS? IT IS REALLY PRETTY GOOD. I FOUNND A REALLY REALLY OLD YANKEE MAGAZINE FROM BACK IN THE LATE 50'S/ EARLY 60'S WITH A RECIPE FOR TOM SOUP THAT SOUNDS SIMILAR TO USING STEWED TOMS. SUPER GOOD.

MoBookworm1957, TEXKAT and kinnb like this.
  4. jehoshaphat

jehoshaphat Well-Known Member

I've not posted in a very long time. Dh & I have been talking more about retirement as we are getting ever so close to it. Therefore I am checking our thriftiness , spending habits & routines closer to fine tune them. Lately our leftovers have been going to waste more than ever. I have started thinking about portions before creating menus and cooking meals. Cooking & preparing less is helping to cut down on the waste. Also, because our kids all live out of state now, I am buying less of everything! Due to the miles between us, they don't visit as often, which we miss. We use video chat to visit with them. Cutting back on utilities isn't easy as we have just the 2 of us, economical appliances, and do just about everything we can. We can't use clothesline without getting into it with HOA. It would take us a legal battle to be able to install one so I just hang what I can and use a drying rack.

5. jehoshaphat

jehoshaphat Well-Known Member

Here I am again! LOL! Starting on holiday gift giving and going thru all my crafting misc. It sure saves $$ not only in not spending for a gift but also in not buying things I forgot I had. Digging thru things, found lots I forgot I had. Helps to make the gift giving with more variety. Have been splitting things lately. Like bananas, 1/2 for dh & 1/2 for me. Also, by splitting, can freeze stuff for later like croissants bought on sale or large pkgs meat. Using less of ingredients when cooking helps. Less meat in most recipes and using more veggies when appropriate. Save pickle juice for drinking on HOT days. It really helps. I had heat exhaustion few yrs ago. the juice helped.

MoBookworm1957, amymcc, ldc and 3 others like this.
  6. TEXKAT

TEXKAT Well-Known Member

Taking my lunch to work atleast 4 days and leftovers are used most of the time.

Using the sun to dry my clothes and to make sun tea.

We're in full-time summer mode down here. Today's heat index forecast is over 100. I close the blinds during the day and use insulated curtains to help hold in the a/c. When we're at home, I use fans in every room. Some ice-cold tea helps too. ;)

I know what you mean about holiday gifts and going thru my craft supplies, jehoshaphat. I've been getting rid of some items by donating and yard sales, but other items will be used for gifts at Christmas and also birthdays.

I don't color my hair. I don't go to a salon for manicures or pedicures, that's done at home. I mix up my own facials from recipes found at Pinterest, etc.

I leave a little earlier in the mornings to avoid traffic and that saves me gas money plus wear-and-tear on my car.

Started regrowing celery and green onions from the 'ends' left from store bought produce.

I try to plan meals from what I have in the pantry and freezer. I've been doing this for awhile and can see this really has saved me some money on groceries.

I bought a grapevine wreath about two years ago that has been on our gate. It's looking pretty worn and faded. So I got some 97 cent flowers from Walmart (red, white, & blue) and checked my craft stash for whatever I could find. I removed the old flowers and hot glued the new ones one then covered the whole thing with silver glitter. It turned out better than I expected and it only cost me $3.

7. amymcc

amymcc Well-Known Member

I am halfway through my 12 week leave from work to take care of family since husband has heart surgery on May 5. He just got home today from another 9 days in the hospital - he was admitted because of fever ever since the original surgery and he had blood clots in neck so is now on coumadin. So the frugality-relevant side of this is that only 3 of my 12 weeks off are in paid status. The rest is all unpaid. I am not sure when my 3 weeks of paid vacation time kicks in, but the past 6 weeks have all been unpaid - we have his disability payment and I have used about $2500 from savings so far, which sounds/feels like way too much, though we have been doing nothing extravagant (except buying too much fresh fruit) or interesting, other than the occasional drive into Philly to the hospital.
    Our extra-frugal measure this summer is to do without air conditioning since we need to keep the power bill down. Last week we had 3 days in the 90s, but I think we are getting used to just having fans. I can't really tell how hot I am since I am just hot all the time.
    We are refinancing the mortgage, if all works out, switching from 30 year (almost 6 years in) at 4.75 to 20 year at 3.9. If we pay it off on schedule, we will save around $50000, but I really want/need to pay it off sooner than 2037.
    I found a little baggie in the deep freezer of something orange. I assumed it was pumpkin puree so made pumpkin bread with it. Came out totally delish.
    My vegetable garden, which has sucked up a lot of money, time, and physical labor, isn't doing all that well due to the happy family of groundhogs who are living off of it. We put a fence up, but it doesn't go down into the ground so isn't really working. They have mostly left the tomatoes alone but of course have eaten all the lettuce, spinach, squash leaves, and strawberries. It's most discouraging.
    By the way, being home has been fantastic. I don't have the words to adequately express how much I don't ever ever ever want to go back to my job. I wish I could get work in a school so that I could have summers off.

Sandi, bugstabber, TEXKAT and 4 others like this.
  8. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member Supporter

Still eating from small chest freezer. Took the last of the chicken from the chest freezer to the refrig. freezer.
    eating fresh from garden everyday.
    cook on grill mostly, to hot to turn on oven.
    reseeded the garden when things finished off. So new vegetables are growing.
    lettuce,kale,just about done, so reseeded them again.have seeded several types of lettuce,kale didn't do well this year.
    will have to get beef,pork,from meat locker soon, then chest freezer will be full again.
    I buy enough to feed myself,my 2 sons for the year. Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary!Merry Christmas! then I don't give them much for Christmas. Usually a quilt that I work on all year. This does a couple of things, I use fabric stash, yarn for shawls this year.My year to use it, recycle it,fix it, finish it or get rid of it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  9. vickinell

vickinell Well-Known Member

I charge my gas, groceries, electric, house insurance, trash pick up. I pay off the balance each month. It makes balancing my checkbook so much easier. Then in December I cash in all my points and get 25.00 gift cards to give to my daughter and older grandkids and their spouses. I still buy for the two youngest twin granddaughters and five greats. My twins were born on Christmas Day. So that is a double whammy. But they are very easy to please.
    This will be my third year to do this. It makes it a lot easier on me. They can get what they want.

I have told them to not buy for me cause I have too much stuff, to just put their money together and I will buy me a pot for my garden. They do not listen.

Sandi, bugstabber, TEXKAT and 4 others like this.
  10. TEXKAT

TEXKAT Well-Known Member

We are trying to do more "no-spend" days. For us, it's easier to do if we don't leave the ranch and if we stay off the computer.

Use cloth napkins and towels instead of paper.

When making a recipe, I consider using only half of an ingredient. Especially if it's the most expensive ingredient. Such as, meat or cheese.

Mail a postcard instead of a letter.

Look for places that will buy your broken electronics. $$

pixiedoodle and kinnb like this.
  11. kinnb

kinnb Well-Known Member

cut over 4 inches off my hair myself, been getting what little bits I have been able to salvage from my garden (giant rain busted the daylights out of most of my plants) and adding to my menu (and the dogs!), using Walmart's grocery pickup service almost exclusively right now along with Amazon Prime Pantry--depending on price--and saving my little bits of energy and money while doing so! also have worked at switching out paper towels for rags over the last six months, now that I bought a portable washer (laundry dries outside)...so money saved from laundromat and from buying paper towels. starting to notice all the little bits adding up to a couple bucks here and there, which I'm now saving monthly towards things like the home insurance payment and the dogs' vet visits.

12. TEXKAT

TEXKAT Well-Known Member

I wear my jeans twice (sometimes three times) before I wash them depending on how dirty they get. I'm lucky that we can wear jeans at the office so the jeans don't get dirty at all.

When buying new blouses (new or new-to-me), I make sure they don't require dry cleaning. I usually buy tops made of lightweight polyester because they can be put on a hanger right out of the washer and dry quickly. Plus, they are much cooler to wear here in south Texas....in the summer. :cool:

13. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I raved about Washeze before but they are now having a "seconds" sale. One of their batches of laundry detergent+fabric softener sheets came back feeling "sticky". I got 40 sheets for half price!
    Oops, Gfb is using computer, I'll have to post the code later.

MoBookworm1957, pixiedoodle and kinnb like this.
  14. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Expect the unexpected Supporter

I been holding tight to a budget so we can pay off our mortgage early. It should be done next month unless I get my hands on some extra money sooner. If I stayed on schedule, it would have been Spring of 2018.
    The other day, I bought some bar soap. I only got one small package because I need to look for a sale before I purchase in quantity. So the package I got had 3 bars, and was 9.5 ounces and it cost $ 1.24 at Walmart. Then I went to a dollar store and found bar soap for 25 cents for a 4 ounce bar. So 1 pound would be $ 1.00. So what I got at Walmart is going back when I go that direction again. But I will go to the dollar store first and make sure I can get more of what I just bought. I made sure we both liked this brand, before I stock up on it.

My garden was very frugal this year. I use pots next to our shed. The water is rain water in a tub that I collect off the wood shed a short distance away. The pots are all used ones, I keep year to year. The soil is composted rabbit and chicken manure from the pile out back. I got started plants given to me free this year. Some seeds I got free. Some seeds are from years past I saved.

15. Ellendra

Ellendra Well-Known Member

The grocery store I go to very seldom puts out discounted produce, their prices are lower than the average to begin with. But today they had bags of key limes marked way down, I got 8 pounds for $2. I had been thinking of trying my hand at key lime pie, and this just looked like an invitation.

I won't be able to make the pie right away, though, so I sorted through the limes and am canning any that looked damaged. The ripest undamaged ones will be preserved next, although I haven't decided for sure which method I'll go with. I'm tempted to candy a few :)

Also at the store, they had a coupon for $1 off if you buy 2 boxes of pasta. I grabbed the box that's 69 cents, which means I paid 19 cents for a pound of noodles :) I'm not good at keeping track of coupons, but this one was worth it.

The last time I was at the thrift store I picked up a bunch of pillowcases to use as potato sacks, and also found a book on at-home winemaking for a quarter. I thought for years that I just didn't like wine, it always tasted moldy to me. But, twice this spring I tasted wines that were actually really good. I'm hoping to replicate those using the fruit from my land.

Speaking of, every wild fruit tree on my land is going gangbusters this year. As much as I love that, I've learned that it usually means a hard winter is coming.

MoBookworm1957, pixiedoodle and kinnb like this.
  16. City Bound

City Bound Male Supporter

slow around here. One page for the whole month.

MoBookworm1957 and pixiedoodle like this.
  17. pixiedoodle

pixiedoodle Well-Known Member

workinghard to eat what we have here & only fill in with what we are out of & have to hae. determined to get all the meats used up that's in the big frzer. looks like more than i thot. tons of zuc & & toms from last yr so it's gotta get used up before i have more toms as it looks like the tom plants are loaded this year. digging half of the potatoes so going to share those. too many for us 2 old people. we just don't use that many potatoes any longer.
    use it up is our motto till the frzr is pretty much cleared out!

MoBookworm1957 and kinnb like this.
  18. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member Supporter

Made bread and pizza dough last week.
    Pulled up the last of the peas this morning.
    Planting green beans and peppers in that spot.
    Just got fruit mainly in chest freezer.
    Not paying $6.00 for a pound of hot house tomatoes.
    That's the going rate for tomatoes around here.
    Going to rethink garden in fall.
    didn't produce much so far.
    Not buying much, trying to pay off loan from dad.
    Making double payments on car. Trying to get it paid off in 36 months instead of 66 months.
    Make regular car payment, then make principle car payment about the 15 of the month.
    Get that interest down. Any money I been using to pay off dad will go straight into savings not to be touched.
    Son's truck is finally running again.
    Still making clothes for myself, fall and winter.
    Making Christmas this year as in years passed.
    Making Christmas this year for new grandchildren.
    Got 2 girls for the price of one.
    My new granddaughter has big sister so making her a quilt too.
    Matching Princesses night shirts.
    One is any girl can be a princess, but a special princess is a big sister too.
    Littler nightgown just says Princess in training.
    Big sister is flip flop kinda girl; so flip flop quilt is what she's getting.
    This is my year to clean out yarn, fabric, recycle,reuse,repurpose get rid of, something comes in house something goes out of house.
    This is the year I donate 10 baby afghans(getting rid of yarn) to Project Linus.
    This is the year I donate 10 baby quilts and coverlets(getting rid fabric stash) for Project Linus. I pick a charity a year this is my way to give back. Now that I am retired from the Army and Wal-Mart. Make the afghans while I watch tv.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  19. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Expect the unexpected Supporter

Did get 40 bars of the soap, I posted above about. So $ 10 worth. Pretty pleased about that purchase.
    I may even go back and buy more. Not sure. It's a good stock up price.

Mortgage is going to be gone by end of month. I have to come up with about $ 200 more than the
    payment to finish it. Our anniversity is later this month, sounds like a good present to us. Free and clear :)

Got some items at TSC this morning for my birds. Some were on sale and I had a 10 % off coupon for the
    entire purchase.

Was on craigslist yesterday and found some cheap young pullets. $ 2 each :)

Ellendra, MoBookworm1957 and kinnb like this.
  20. emdeengee

emdeengee Well-Known Member

Live and learn even if it takes 4 decades. We have always used a simple can opener (the swing-away model now) and been frustrated by the fact that sometimes the teeth don't bite into the lid and you have to pry part of it off to get the can open.

A friend just told us to open the can backwards - don't turn the handle away from you but towards you - and the lid will always open. Something to do with the way the lid is attached in the factory.

And he was right. We have not had a lid malfunction in over 4 months including the dog food can of the only food our dog will eat that was the worst for getting stuck. So 40 needless years of frustration and cut fingers.

kinnb and vickinell like this.