Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How very sad but not surprising, not a single word was mentioned about Flag Day at the large, public, alt left university that I work at. But I am sure there will be some fanfare for Juneteenth.
Yea sickening.
We stood at the beginning of class in grade school with our hand over our heart and it was over the speaker in the classroom from the principal's office.

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
How very sad but not surprising, not a single word was mentioned about Flag Day at the large, public, alt left university that I work at. But I am sure there will be some fanfare for Juneteenth.
That does suck, but it shouldn’t have to be one or the other. Juneteenth deserves its remembrance as well. It’s a unique mix of July 4th and Easter.

Sad that they can’t recognize the observance of the flag that has saved the world from communism for the last 100 years, though.

·
Registered
34,371 Posts
Anti-Americanism

·
Registered
34,371 Posts
It's my birthday!!

I was born on Flag Day, in the bicentennial year and baptized on the fourth of July! (really, true story)

It is also Mr. Trump's birthday as well.
Tom Petty wrote a song about you

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,048 Posts
That does suck, but it shouldn’t have to be one or the other. Juneteenth deserves its remembrance as well. It’s a unique mix of July 4th and Easter.

Sad that they can’t recognize the observance of the flag that has saved the world from communism for the last 100 years, though.
Juneteenth is meaningless. I just sent a message to my Congressman and to Ted Cruz explaining to them using little words just how stupid they were.

Did you know the average federal government worker already gets 1 1/2 months paid (not counting sick leave) leave a year and Congress just approved giving them an additional day for Juneteenth? I think it is likely to become a day of protests and riots, rather than celebration.

A better solution would be to celebrate Constitution Day and everyone would be free to celebrate any part of it they wished to. For those wishing to, they could celebrate the 13th Amendment, the true end of slavery. By celebrating Constitution Day, all Americans could share in the celebration, rather than simply attempting to appease one group.

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
Juneteenth is meaningless. I just sent a message to my Congressman and to Ted Cruz explaining to them using little words just how stupid they were.

Did you know the average federal government worker already gets 1 1/2 months paid (not counting sick leave) leave a year and Congress just approved giving them an additional day for Juneteenth? I think it is likely to become a day of protests and riots, rather than celebration.

A better solution would be to celebrate Constitution Day and everyone would be free to celebrate any part of it they wished to. For those wishing to, they could celebrate the 13th Amendment, the true end of slavery. By celebrating Constitution Day, all Americans could share in the celebration, rather than simply attempting to appease one group.
I’m not sure how Juneteenth is “meaningless”. Sure, there are other days that we could mark to celebrate the end of slavery, but that’s arbitrary. We no longer believe that Jesus was born on December 25th. Is Christmas “meaningless”?

Whether it should be a paid holiday is a separate debate, and not one that I have any feelings on. Whether it’s more appropriate that it be celebrated on some other day is another issue I’m agnostic on. I do think that Constitution Day is a poor choice because it is already about so many other things, and the date doesn’t have any specific relevance to the end of slavery.

A day, any day, to commemorate the end of slavery in the United States is, in my opinion, of equal importance to the Fourth of July. Our nation, the greatest in the history of the earth, was living a lie from 7/4/1776 through 12/18/1865. We didn’t believe the words of our own Declaration of Independence, and we couldn’t truly be free until we reconciled that. God charged us with bringing Liberty to the earth, and we squandered those first 90 years.

Let those who choose to protest on that day protest. It’s their right to do so. Whether we celebrate it on 6/19, 9/22, or 12/18 doesn’t matter, but there should be a day. It’s when we observe our making right with God, and affirming that we actually meant what we said on 7/4/1776.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,048 Posts
I’m not sure how Juneteenth is “meaningless”. Sure, there are other days that we could mark to celebrate the end of slavery, but that’s arbitrary. We no longer believe that Jesus was born on December 25th. Is Christmas “meaningless”?
It's not arbitrary in the least. The date all the slaves in US were officially freed was the day the 13th Amendment was passed. We could debate whether Lincoln could by decree free any slaves, much less only those in the South.

Whether it should be a paid holiday is a separate debate, and not one that I have any feelings on.
Congress made it the same by declaring it a federal holiday.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Do the math.

3//4 days per pay period. 26 pay periods a year. Plus 10 paid holidays.
We may be able to agree that average employees have between 3 and 15 years in Federal service. 6 hours a pay period is 6x26=156 hours a year. Divided by 8 is 19.5 days. Plus 10 days is 29.5 days. Maybe you can help me with my math, and turn 29.5 days into 45 days (unless you're also debating whether a month and a half is 45 days)?

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,048 Posts
We may be able to agree that average employees have between 3 and 15 years in Federal service. 6 hours a pay period is 6x26=156 hours a year. Divided by 8 is 19.5 days. Plus 10 days is 29.5 days. Maybe you can help me with my math, and turn 29.5 days into 45 days (unless you're also debating whether a month and a half is 45 days)?

View attachment 97652
They don't work Saturdays and Sundays, so there are approximately 20 working days in a month, 30 in 1 1/2 months..

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,048 Posts
So you're counting the weekends in as part of paid leave? You're right, and I'm an idiot.
It's been a long time since I worked for the government, but I still remember how to calculate leave. Back when I worked there, the pay was low but the benefits were great. Now both pay and benefits are great. Plus the government now has to give comp time in just about every case of overtime. When I worked for the government, we worked as many hours as it took to get the job done and rarely got or took comp time. I'm amazed the government gets anything done with the amount of time they get off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts