Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Mine won't. The propane tank got filled when the prices were low and electricity prices don't change here that often.
What about when parts of the electric grid shut down... some are predicting it. What about when gasoline prices double (or more) and/or it becomes totally unavailable for days or weeks at a time... reliable industry watchdogs are warning of it.

One of the most popular "prepper" food companies shut down this week due to lack of supplies. National and State L.E.O.s are being told to prepare for "significant" civil unrest... etc... etc.

Bottling for food products is essentially unavailable. Food itself is getting more and more scarce (look at the shelves closely). There are shortages in many products... even diapers.

I had a post prepared of all the signs of SHTF, but I didn't post it because it got too long and sounded too conspiracy theorist. I believe I had over 35 indicators when I stopped listing them. I'm not a prepper or conspiracy theorist by any means but I'm seriously concerned.

·
I calls em like I sees em
14,033 Posts
A few years back, propane spiked and was going to cost $5 /gallon for a late winter fill. Our house is small, we ran 3 electric space heaters and got thru fine until the price went back to normal.

And if people don't try to keep their house 80 degrees in the winter! That is one of my pet peeves, it is so wasteful.

Sigh. We will probably be buying some propane for relatives. They are drowning in medical bills from cancer treatments and been buying the minimum qty of propane when it gets down to fumes. Sounds like it would be cheaper to just fill them up now.

Reactions: doc-

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Glad I prepaid for propane this year!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Mine won't. The propane tank got filled when the prices were low and electricity prices don't change here that often.
Had my tank filled up March. 1,000 gal tank. It will last me 3 years. I don't use much gas in my Log cabin. Cooking stove etc. is electric. I Bbq a lot outside using wood. Love wild meat and most of it i cook outside using wood.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Ya I'm worried. Have a finished dog room that I need to add extra heat. Its at the end of the furnace line. Last winter spring with litters of pups my heat bill doubled to 400 a month. No breeding this winter. If costs are 50 % higher no way to justify it.
Have add on wood furnace the steps will be a problem since surgery. So not sure. Didnt use it last year same reason.
Guess dogs will be kitchen critters. They wont like it but hay we all have to do are part.
Ya the mess the US is in really has me bothered.. alot.

·
Saltine American
7,014 Posts
I paid 1.69 per gallon last December, and if I can get a delivery, it will be $2,29. My tank is only 250 gallons and I have been trying to get a larger tank, but the propane company has no one to install it. Most of my heating is from a fireplace with propane logs.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Notice how All the power companies got HUGE covid money to help us all out! I noticed in m y electric bill it said we have re started cut offs.

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
At least you folks below the 49 don’t have a carbon tax yet. Doubled our natural gas costs, added to gas and diesel costs, and the cost to dry grain is astronomical. And going up every year. Because Canada contributes 1.6 % of glow bull warming emissions.

Yup, sitting on the worlds second or third largest oil field, and they can’t build a pipeline anymore, and our fuel costs are obscene. And they add a carbon tax.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Notice how All the power companies got HUGE covid money to help us all out! I noticed in m y electric bill it said we have re started cut offs.
I actually had rebates on my bill from the covid money, and one month was entirely free. Mid-size town with its own electric utility actually did its customers right.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts