Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Expect the unexpected
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Half way through the year.....

Well my little garden is doing well. Raised beds but not the normal way.
Some is just piles of poo, and mushroom mulch. Close to my water source.
The first plants in are really jumping now. I was late this year. But we had
a frost June 12, and I am glad it missed us. Others were not so lucky.

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Yes, a combination of good luck and good planning. We aren't having much in the way of the usual fruits down here- the alternating heat/cold spells damaged most trees ability to set additional bloom. Most trees can do it once, if there's a spell of bad weather during usual bloom time. But those second blooms...very few trees can set a third set of blooms. About the only fruit we have thriving is 32 pineapples on 45 plants. And they are not maturing at the usual rate. Traditionally, you give the spray of blossom-end-rot (ethylene gas) or the slice of green apple in the crown on Jan1 and every two weeks till midmarch. This starts your pineapple harvest July 1st. I am thinking my earliest set pineapples have at least another month to go to mature, and we had a bloom set late May for our last pineapple-IF it's able to mature.

·
Premium Member
5,982 Posts
We're in a major heat wave/drought so my garden isn't looking good. Due to water issues town says no watering of lawns and gardens. Tomorrow I need to pull the onions as the tops have fallen over. I have a feeling the bulbs are going to be very small. Two rows of potato vines have died so they need to be dug. The other two rows are still green although the bottom of the plants look to be browning so they probably are not going to be alive for long. We have a chance for rain tomorrow night and I'm debating with myself as to whether or not to plant carrots and replant beets. The last beets came up nicely and then dehydrated in hot windy weather. If I could find seed potatoes, I'd plant another couple of rows for late fall harvest. If, if, if, if it would just rain otherwise I'd be wasting my time, energy and seed.

I hope new gardeners this year will not be so discouraged and disappointed that they give up gardening. I've had one year that it rained an inch nearly every day and often more than that. Once that summer we had 16" in 3 days and the potatoes rotted in the ground. Another year zero green beans with no discernable reason. This year its drought. Some years its bug infestations. Occasionally we get a nearly perfect year -- just wish that happened more often!!

Reactions: TEXKAT

·
Chief cook & weed puller
5,679 Posts
I was gifted with 56+ canning jars of various sizes. My aunt is trying to down size and brought boxes to a family gathering. Another sister got lots of pints and half pints. She makes jam & jelly for their church sale each year. My aunt was very pleased that she was able to share with the family.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I was also gifted with many canning jars this year. Several of my friends and neighbours moved this year and no one wanted to move empty jars that they knew they wouldn't use again. One of those families gave me two cases of pints (16oz) jars, still in sealed boxes - the price tag was $20.99/case. (Canada), so effectively $42 worth of unused jars for me, along with 3 dozen or so used ones. I'm set for a very long time!

I was also gifted this weekend with rhubarb, a shopping bag full. I live in the city and rhubarb sells at farmers markets for ~ $7/4 stalks. In grocery stores it's around $6/lb. I grew up where practically everyone had a rhubarb patch, some decades old. The idea of paying for it is something I've never been able to get my head around. Fortunately I still know people who grow too much and give me some.

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
I had leftover rice but didn't want to do chinese fried rice or spanish rice, so I made rice pudding. Had to convert some recipes as I am very allergic to eggs. The conversion I came up with was 3 tablespoons tapioca to each egg called for. I have learnt there's a difference between pearl tapioca and tapioca flour. I got a little nervous about putting in so much tapioca so stopped at 4 instead of going to 6. I learnt that was too much tapioca and that you don't need additional cornstarch. So I'm eating solid food intead of semisolid, but with additional milk not too bad.

·
Chief cook & weed puller
5,679 Posts
Last week I finally got my garlic scape pesto made & frozen. Ran out of olive oil, so I will just add some when I use it. I also made a rhubarb pineapple juice and froze it too. I had saved 20 oz pop bottles and smaller beverage bottles to freeze it in. I was happy to find enough rhubarb to make a batch. Our patch usually goes dormant when the hot weather hits.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just don't understand the big blue and white stars to the left and once I get signed in ,
I see gray circles overlapping on the right of the screen. Makes it hard to read this forum.

So today I was in a grocery store, that had packages of meat that runs a special of 5 packages
for $20. Not my usually way to buy meat. But when a package is 5.99 and marked with additional
$ 1 off coupon on each of the four packages, I decided to buy the 5 deal. So I saved almost $ 10
by getting the buy 5 pkgs , and then $ 4 more, so a savings of $ 14 total.

I decided to start a daily activity log / dairy, not sure what to call it. I just make notes if I went to
town and what stores I go into. When I read the other day that a Dollar Tree locally had a
cocid case fir a employee, It made my hair stand on end. The dates were on a Tuesday and
a Wednesday. After I figured it out, it was a Friday I went into that store. So
a wake up call and now I will just log into my notebook. Truly sad when you have to
wrote things down.

My garden is doing well. Have had to water it a lot due to not much rain here.
Had a few friends look at it and they let me know my summer squash, green and yellow
were getting way to big and I should be picking them. So I had to let them know, I
was using some of the harvest for my ducks and chickens to eat. They don't care how big
they get :) I also might take some to the food pantry locally.

This heat lately has been severe. Been getting up early to do chores, and
then weeding in the garden after the sun goes down.

Been thinking about getting ready for winter earlier this year.
I like being ahead of any problems.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried to edit a typo I made and it won't let me.
I was afraid to hit enter and the whole post get posted 2x. NOT happening.

cocid = covid

·
Registered
614 Posts
I didn't plant anything this spring/summer and I'm glad I didn't. It's been very hot and dry here in South Texas. And the wind just dries everything out even more. I may try container gardening for fall. Tomatoes usually do well here.

I stretch meat in recipes by adding more veggies or beans. So far I haven't heard any complaints. ;)

Hoping our town will have a citywide yard sale this fall so I can get rid of some stuff. If not, I'll just give it away. I'm tired of looking at it and I know if I don't get it out of the house I'll end up rethinking about getting rid it. :) It's a struggle for me.

I've slowly stocked up the pantry and freezer. As well as cleaning items. I watched for sales and clipped a ton of coupons. It's comforting to know that if we can't leave the house for a couple of weeks, we'll be okay.

My DH is getting closer to retirement and we've been discussing it more lately. He wants to work part-time somewhere to stay busy and to bring in a little money. (I want him to work part-time so he doesn't spend money online. :) ) But the idea of retirement is a bit scary. Especially with the way the world is now. I just don't know how to prepare for that. We're frugal with most things and I don't see those habits changing. Being more self sufficient is a goal of ours, but as we age will we be able to keep it up? It's just the two of us so I know we'll need help down the line. How are you planning for retirement? If you're already retired, what have you learned from your experience?

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
Thinking about retirement and planning for it can be stressful. We knew approximately how much all of our pensions would add up to (including government worker's and old age pensions and private pensions) so we decided to practice a couple of years ago. We made up a budget based on pensions and savings and lived on it. This showed us exactly where our finances were strong and what and how we could live on our pensions. During that time we saved whatever the difference was between our actual income and the pension budget. We used savings for major house and car repairs etc as we will be doing when on our pensions.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Thinking about retirement and planning for it can be stressful. We knew approximately how much all of our pensions would add up to (including government worker's and old age pensions and private pensions) so we decided to practice a couple of years ago. We made up a budget based on pensions and savings and lived on it. This showed us exactly where our finances were strong and what and how we could live on our pensions. During that time we saved whatever the difference was between our actual income and the pension budget. We used savings for major house and car repairs etc as we will be doing when on our pensions.
I've been doing exactly the same @emdeengee . I think we've talked about this on another thread. It has been a highly useful experiment and one I continue with today. My initial plan was to retire at about 60, the end of this year, but I won't now. There were surprise expenses I hadn't anticipated, and should have, so now I'm waiting for another two years. As it happens I enjoy my work about 90% of the time so I'm okay waiting longer. That gives me a chance to build my CP contributions up a little more, and add more to the RRSP and TFSA. My goal is that my anticipated company pension must cover my day to day living expenses, and the surprises come out of savings and the govt pensions and savings.

I highly recommend that people considering retirement try something similar and see if your plans are realistic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.