July 2017 Tightwad Tips and Thrifty Hacks

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by wr, Jul 5, 2017.

1. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'm late again.

MoBookworm1957 and bugstabber like this.
  2. wraith

wraith Member

That's ok, none of us seem very frugal lately anyway.... or maybe everyone is so busy being thrifty and frugal they have no time to post! I like that much better :) Speaking for myself, I have not been the least bit thrifty lately :(

MoBookworm1957 and pixiedoodle like this.

3. pixiedoodle

pixiedoodle Well-Known Member

using leftover all week from yesterdays cook out. also making a trip to the basement where i haven't been since i had the heart problem in jan. to retriive a big box of fabric to make little girls dresses for charity...now if i can only find the websight for that organization! also have curtaain fabric that is cotton poly that can be used for the same dresses. anxious to get started & also to finally use up the fabric for a good cause & clear out a few boxes of "extra stuff".

MoBookworm1957, ldc, kinnb and 2 others like this.
  4. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

Freezing tons of wild blackberries so I don't have to buy frozen fruit throughout the year. I would like to make preserves but, yeah. Not single mom friendly, maybe when my son is older.

Squash and zucchini are here in full force, have been eating a lot of that and it helps the grocery bill.

miggyb, MoBookworm1957, ldc and 4 others like this.
  5. kinnb

kinnb Well-Known Member

been using the Walmart grocery pickup service and Amazon Prime pantry almost exclusively. cuts gas and the physical stress for me, and is providing what I need with what I can afford. added more beans into things to stretch and add protein. been able to begin saving now for the next payment for house insurance in Dec--already managed to put away the money for the pups' yearly heartworm medication bill in Sept. Finally feel like I am getting a bit ahead with every little change or adjustment. Not that I was ever not frugal, just the last couple years with moving and then paying off the mortgage etc plus renovation expenses and full lot fence ate what I might have had left over.

6. jehoshaphat

jehoshaphat Well-Known Member

Hello & Good by to frugality this past week. sigh. Our daughter & family are here. The 4 kids will be staying til 1st wk of Aug. I know kids can eat but my kids are 38 & 39 so I kinda forgot just how much. They've been here not quite a wk and they've eaten out but I still am trying to cook when I can. I am happy to invest in my family buy feeding them. Will be working on projects w kids while they are here.Again using things I have here at home. Will be walking to park nearby when we can. Helping kids be more thrifty around house by reminding about shutting doors, especially frig door! Turning off lights, using one drinking glass for day, taking less food & eating what they take rather than throwing out food. It is good having them here!

7. pixiedoodle

pixiedoodle Well-Known Member

USING UP ALL LETOVERS ALL WEEK. NOT GROCERY SHOPPING UNLESS WE RUN OUT OF SOMETHING WE CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT. THAT IS OUR BIGGEST $$ SAVER FOR THIS WEEK.

8. jehoshaphat

jehoshaphat Well-Known Member

Need to do a no spend week soon. Frugality is being attacked! I'm fighting back!

9. light rain

light rain Well-Known Member

Last yr. a person on this site advised me on how to prune a blackcap raspberry. Following their instructions really increased the harvest! I've got almost a gallon bag frozen from one plant with more to pick in the future. That is tasty nutritious food for this winter and is free!

Picking and am continuing to freeze black currants. Every couple of weeks I buy a lb. of poopaki mushrooms and dehydrate and grind for winter. Besides paying bills on time and saving a little for the future my biggest goal is for us to have access to healthy, low salt, unprocessed food.

Got a coupon in the mail from Walgreens for an incontinence product. I was really irritated that the product was visible on the outside or the folded correspondence. Then I opened the coupon and saw the dollar amt. Hope they make a mistake, send a duplicate and irritate me some more... :D

10. light rain

That would be " Popular mushrooms that grow on oak logs..." mushrooms... I have no clue how "that word" got there...:eek:. Good grief...

11. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

Bought some blueberry plants recently. $ 4 each. Got 5 and they all have berries on them.
    Think the birds will want a share also.. The rhubarb is doing well even after being hit by a
    rain storm with hail a few weeks ago. Hostas had the same problem, but now in flower and
    look so much better. The horseradish is getting huge this year. So with all my ramblings
    here, the point I am trying to make is that permanent plants are so much better than
    flowers that only have the one season. And my potted veggie garden is doing great this
    year. Plants that give food always make me smile :)

12. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member

Didn't grocery shop yet this month.
    Only thing need in near future is Strawberry's food(she's been sick).
    And tea bags.
    Using everything in chest freezer,refrig. freezer.
    Found place I can order meat bundle from will get approx 95 meals give or take 1 or 2 for $69.99.
    I'll have to divide meat bundle into meal portions, which is fine with me.
    I do that anyway.
    getting green beans pretty regular, not enough to can yet.
    zuchinni just getting started good.
    Hope to get enough tomatoes to make spaghetti sauce,salsa,chili sauce.
    Already chased next door neighbors away from green tomatoes.
    Told them to plant their own. Leave mine alone.
    Herb garden is doing pretty good.
    Won't have enough ciltrano for salsa but that's okay I guess.
    dried a lot of fresh last year.
    All other herbs going to seed, well part of them.
    Some I'm still using fresh.
    Got 15 more volunteer tomato plants up 6 to 15 inches.
    Some were hidden by overgrown mint bushes.
    They got trimmed,dehydrated,jarred for this winter.

miggyb, ShannonR, kinnb and 2 others like this.
  13. MO_cows

MO_cows I calls em like I sees em

We got blessed recently with a delivery from Big Garden Friend. Beets, potatoes (beautiful Yukon Gold type), green beans, onion and zucchini. Shared some and still was able to coast an extra week without grocery shopping.

miggyb, ShannonR, snowlady and 4 others like this.
  14. light rain

Sounds like good eating to me! Good friend you have!

15. Declan

Declan Well-Known Member

Walmart is starting to selectively put things in the garden department on clearance. Ours had the superduper sized pots around half off

kinnb and pixiedoodle like this.
  16. light rain

Thanks Declan! This is when I stock up on Miracle Grow for the next year or two, though that may not be on sale yet.

I also start checking the thrift stores for big pots at this time. They don't want to hold on to them through the off season here up north.

kinnb and pixiedoodle like this.
  17. MO_cows

MO_cows I calls em like I sees em

The weekly 3-day Hy Vee sale had some really good buys. Split chicken breast, 88 cents per pound. I bought the limit, there is so much you can do with those. It is one of my favorites for Tex-Mex, cook them in a braise with chiles, garlic, onion, etc. until the meat will shred with a fork. And you end up with a nice broth, too. And they had their good ground chuck in the full service meat case on sale for $1.99 so loaded up there, too. And some OK peaches and nectarines for 99 cents per pound. Sale is good through Saturday if you are a Hy Vee shopper.

kinnb, light rain and pixiedoodle like this.
  18. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

Being stingy with the laundry lately: washing mine and my baby's clothing together in one load. Using less soap in load, and half the fabric softener sheet in dryer. Cuts down on chemicals and laundry expense.

pixiedoodle and kinnb like this.
  19. Declan

Declan Well-Known Member

I didn't see any of that stuff on sale yet, but will keep an eye out. I bought so much organic fertilizer on close out from them last fall for like 30 cents on the dollar that I may be good for another year. That is usually late in the season when they are hauling in the Christmas stuff

kinnb, light rain and pixiedoodle like this.
  20. light rain

Yesterday, after coming home and consulting DH I went back to a garage sale and bought the iron base for a treadle sewing machine.

When DH gets feeling better he is going to make a wooden top for it and he'll use it instead of the wooden TV tray he has now. That set of trays are still doing great after almost 20 yrs. They were a graduation or "got your own apt. gift" from family members for one of our kids.

I bought it for a few reasons. The beauty of the iron work, the heaviness of it and after we raise the electric recliner (safely) my DH can work the treadle to increase circulation in his legs. When he makes the top it will be width-sized to accommodate the old meat grinder and other such kitchen items. He'll seal it with a sealer and I feel like this is a real blessing from God.

I have been picking currants of different hues and found the deer ticks really thrive under the red currant. ???

It hit me sometime this morning, before the sun came up, about the wisdom of the book of Ecclesiasties. The mulberries are done, the blackcaps are almost done and if I don't get the rest of the currants picked and frozen they too will be past. Got giant ragweed looking DOWN on me. Don't have the energy that I had a decade ago so got to get better with time management and organization. Guess I better pray for Divine intervention while I'm at it... :rolleyes: