Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted pics of my garden here before - but here is some updated images. Spent the whole day whacking weeds around the property with the weedeater and taking shift turns with DH to move and stack our winter wood that was piled in the front drive. Got both tasks completed and we are both worn out - but I did take a moment to snap a few pictures this evening. The sun was getting low on the horizon - so some of it is in shade.

This is standing at the front gate looking down the main sections of garden.

This is the back most bed which has leeks (in the very front), parsnips (towards the back) and climbing on the trellis in the back is the pole beans. There SHOULD be some cucumbers growing on the front portion of trellis - but they just fizzled out this year.

Here is the onion patch. These are Walla Walla sweets and are bulbing up nicely now.

This is my corn patch. The recent hot weather has sent them shooting up.

These couple of sections are planted in kidney beans - to be dried and shelled. Behind them is the sections of potatoes.

This is the recently planted bed of fall brocolli and brussel sprouts. Kind of hard to see in the shade - but they are doing well.

Swiss chard (bright lights which is quite colorful!) and behind it is celery. Next to the chard is the baby fall cabbages that I recently planted out.

Here is part of the potato patch. There are several varieties planted.

This is the tomato patch. Behind the tomatoes on the trellis is the snap peas - which are going strong at the moment. The front tomatoes are Oregon Beaver Lodge Slicers (determinate variety) and they are getting loaded with fruit. The tall tomatoes are the brandywines - which are just not going to produce for me on this property. Not a hot enough summer here.

Last shot is a closeup of a cluster of tomatoes on my Fantastics that are in the greenhouse. All three plants are just LOADED with big clusters of tomatoes. Very productive.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
great looking garden....you have done well.keep us posted as you harvest.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beltane - yes, among other things! As you can see in the pics - the hoops have bird netting over them right now which keeps our dogs, cat, and the wild birds out of the gardens. In the late fall and early spring, beds that have overwintered items or early spring starts are covered with plastic sheeting. If you are in a very hot climate and/or get too much direct sun - you can also use shade netting over them as well. In my case, I am gardening among tall trees - so shade netting is the LAST thing I want to put on my hoops! LOL!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Wow! Impressive!

DD, you may have said this in the past but how big is your veggie area? Does it provide all your needs during the summer as well as some for preservation?

I'm realizing that my small garden doesn't even come close to meeting our needs. Maybe I just have to plan better. Next year...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fretti - There is currently a total of six beds that are in the rotation of crops - totalling 480 square feet combined. I have two permanent beds for the asparagus patch and the strawberry patch - totaling 48 square feet. I also have an 8 foot by 8 foot greenhouse that I start all my seedlings in and also grow some tomatoes and all of my peppers in. Finally, we have a wild black raspberry patch and a blackberry patch on another section of our property that we harvest from.

All of the beds are 4 foot wide - with the exception of my permanent strawberry bed which is 2 feet wide by 8 feet long. The largest bed is 4' wide X 40' long. The smallest bed is the one that the corn patch is in which is 4'X8'.

The primary intent with this garden is to feed us year round - fresh if possible We live in a fairly moderate (zone 8) maritime climate which means we get down to about 20 degrees during a few weeks during the winter - but normally it is at or slightly above freezing level during the winter. I do preserve items - such as pickles, tomatoes (lots of them), beans, frozen chopped onions for cooking, dried shelling beans, and we store onions, garlic, and potatoes through the winter months. However, we also plant fall/overwintered crops that stay right in the ground - and for those that need it - it is protected with the grow tunnels - such that we can harvest items straight through the winter. Leeks, parsnips, carrots all stay in the ground through the entire winter only protected by a thick layer of mulch and are harvested as needed. Spinach, beets, kale, and swiss chard with the protection of the grow tunnel - can be harvested all winter as well. They essentially stop growing during the short days of winter - but if they were far enough along in the fall and are protected - you can harvest them all winter.

Soil maintenance and care is critical when you intensively plant and do multiple succession plantings. I do alot of alternating of green manures, use ALOT of compost (have many many bins cooking), and I rotate plant families among beds to fight disease build up.

Bottom line is that this family of 3 eats entirely from the garden for all our vegetable and soft fruit needs (berries). What I cannot grow on the limited space is our grain and protein needs. I actually have enough property (as far as size goes) but the vast majority is in a tall woodlot and not suitable for cropping and we choose not to try and raise small animals on this limited acreage. It is possible - but not something we want to mess with at this time.

Hope that answers the question.

·
Registered
264 Posts
DoubleD, Thank you for posting the picture of the Wall Walla onion. I am growing a row myself and right now it looks like little more than grass blades.

Oh, and I can't forget to add kudo's to your impressive garden pics, as well!

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
nice variety and good garden pictures. thanks for sharing those.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts