Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never sent pics of my milking does udder to get judged.
Let me tell you that she freshened 4 months before this photo, and has never been milked. She now for a weeks time of this pic gets milked 2 xs a day.
I know her full pic isn't good, I don't have her very straight. But was wondering if you could tell what kind of confirmation she has, and what kind of buck I should breed her too!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I never sent pics of my milking does udder to get judged.
Let me tell you that she freshened 4 months before this photo, and has never been milked. She now for a weeks time of this pic gets milked 2 xs a day.
I know her full pic isn't good, I don't have her very straight. But was wondering if you could tell what kind of confirmation she has, and what kind of buck I should breed her too!

Is her rump really that steep, or did you take the pic right after touching her udder and she adjusted herself for you? That rump... Needs work.

As for a buck, use one with supurb conformation, and it's dam should have a very tight fore, and be high and wide. She looks very narrow and looks to be loosely attached in the front. A slight pocket isn't bad (and in fact often means a good producer) but a loose attachment will 'break down' with time, not being able to support the weight of 12 hour milk and becoming pendulous with time.

Looking at both pics, her rump is very, very steep. This is bad because it causes a lot of kidding problems - be sure to be present for all kiddings, and don't expect any keeper bucklings out of her. Of course, some of it could be her not being set up... Have someone hold her as if they were showing her - head up, front legs firmly and straight below her. Line up her hocks with her pin bones as seen from the side, and spread them slightly to show off the udder and her topline. Always crouch down and take pics directly to the side. For the rear shot, crouch behind the doe to take the pic while the person poses her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts