Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we've had two set backs on the leg, but as of lastnight as you can see it's not really affecting him. The ears are nearly 100% healed, scabs are starting to come off and the tissue is healed underneath, and all puncture wounds are closed..finally! The leg has been difficult after the subq blood clot. I had to go in and cut out all the dead tissue, alot, and we put hot compresses on every day, all the infection is gone, and we finally have healthy tissue coming back, but a LONG way from healed over. The tendon is severed, and he sustained substantial ligament damage from the bites, which we had seen before, but now that we - more tissue it is very visable. I had been managing it as an open wound to let it drain but now that we've had to clean the wound he gets a new color vet wrap every night*he he* Looking better every day! We strech the leg and keep movement in it, he has started doing it himself now which is great to see, and he actually took a few steps on it too. The leg will never be 100% but that is what makes him Juan. I had actually commented to my husband that this was a good thing because I suspected him to be a jumper as he is sooooooo curious. Well as soon as I had the vet wrap in place and told him his dreaded 15 minute routine was over, he leapt up on three old hale bales we were getting ready to compost in the next few days. I think I'll hold off as he seems to enjoy them, and the cats too! Just had to post his progress, he is the coolest goat :)

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I have a horse with a very bad cut infected to. I mix grapeseed oil as a carrier with lavander and tea tree oil. I cannot believe how well it is healing. Its amazing.

Patty

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chickenmom! Hopefuly we'll be getting him a girlfriend once he's all healed so he can flash her that little smile of his. Right now he thinks I'm his girlfriend, poor thing will not leave my side, and heaven forbid if I manage to get away and get out of sight*lol* He's got the nicest personality I have seen on a goat, and especially for a buck too! He's gotten me hooked on goats :)

Patty: I originally started using salves and poultices with teatree oil, peppermint, and grapeseed oil, the problem is he licks it off, even through the vet wrap he would tear at it to get to it. So far he leaving the bandage alone, I mix some grapseed oil in with the neosporin and apply that to a guaze pad and then wrap with vet wrap, not the full effect but close enough for the time being. It's coming along well, another three weeks I would say we should have nearly at 100%.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
He's such a pretty boy. I too, like the studly smile. But to reccomend something, If you plan on breeding make another pen to keep does separate from him. They don't need to be in there 24/7 with him. If he needs a buddy, get a wether (could be full size or also a pygmy) for cheap and keep them together. Keeping does with bucks can be tricky, because then the does get rebred too soon or too early in their life, in the 'off season', etc. You can hand breed and plan exactly when you want to have your kids born on your farm. For example, it's best for me to have all my kids born in summer.

Good luck, he looks great. I remember when you first got him. :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dona,

Thanks, he has put on weight about 7lbs, which he needed, and asides from missing an ear, and the leg he's a happy healthy normal goat. I'll probably keep them seperate from the most part. I only want once a year breedings, just to keep milk in fresh supply for a while, we'll have more then we can handle even with one doe. We'll probably throw a wether in the mix at some point, I'm rather hooked on goats now. I'm very interested in cart pulling and packing as well, a nice wether would suit that purpose well. We'll see where it lead. I'm going to let him heal up all the way, and by fair time here (Sept) I expect we'll be scouting the dairy goat barns for a doe= ) Can't wait!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts