Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a rough few weeks. My grandfather (more like my dad) died over labor day weekend. It was the first time we could visit for the past three months and so we saw him on Friday and Sat., but on Sunday when I went to the senior center to take him some new jeans he was gone. He was sitting in his bed and layed his head over as though he just went to sleep. It hurts beyond belief. He was my foundation. The one who was always there. He had commented everyday (yes I called daily) that he was so excited for us to get there. Now I think I know why. He was ready and would not leave this earth until I was there. Selfishly I thought he would live forever.

He was a horseman. He owned several race horses over the years and just loved being around them. He was also a businessman and ran his business for many many years until retirement. He was in the 45th and fought in WWII and Korea and retired from the national guard after 25 years. He loved his family and his friends. He understood my love of the country life and supported our choices. Sat. my DH went out to the senior center to put a topper on his bed since his back had been hurting and my grandfather told him that he didn't worry about me because I had DH. When DH came and told me that I should have known he was letting go. I just wish I would have hugged him a little tighter and a little longer.

·
Premium Member
25,163 Posts
Prayers and hugs sent. You sound like me and my grandpa. He was the only "dad" I had for 30+ years. He passed in '97 and I still miss him. You'll find yourself wanting to call him and starting to pack the car to go visiting and it will hurt all over again. You have my deepest sympathy.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Oh that's so sad. He sounds like my dad. He's been gone 8 years but I still miss him and get sad when I think about it. I hate old age. I hate seeing what it does to people. I hate losing those I love. I just have to believe we will all end up together on the other side and we'll never see death or seperation again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts