jointer planer use instruction please

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by treehugger, Jun 18, 2005.

1. treehugger

treehugger Active Member

I bought a jointer planer over a year ago and I became frustrated with it. I could not plane a surface on it. It would dish on the entrance and exit. I have heard some people say you have to know how to adjust it or how to hold it but I could not ever get anyone to my shop to show me how to use it. I just didnt try anymore since I ruined a project with it. It has been collecting dust for a year. I see people all the time using them on different woodworking sites so they must be usable and I am ready to give it another try. Will any of you give me some pointers on how to adjust and use it? It is an old rockwell on a stand with a new baldor motor. The blades are new and I think all the problem is with me because I have been told this is a top quality machine.

I appreciate any help

2. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

The problem may be that you don't have a feed table going in that is long enough to support the entire piece your trying to plane. Your always going to get some sniping at the start and end of a board. You need to make sure your piece is long enough to compensate for it.
    Another thing is how much you are taking off at a time. You can take off a lot at first, but when you start getting within 1/4 -1/8 inch from your desired thickness, you need to take off 1/32 at a time til you get to your desired thickenss.

3. treehugger

treehugger Active Member

The pieces I will be planing are around 40" max and some short 18". If I will always get the sniping then I wont be able to use this machine.

Would I be better off with a thickness planer?

4. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

5. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

first for clarification a jointer is not planer (to get a thickness).

it is designed to straighten a bowed ,warped or twisted, piece of lumber,

OK with that said,

the first question I will ask is are both tables adjustable?

(actually the procedure to adjust is similar on non adjustable rear table as with out)

you will need a straight edge and come off the rear table and check to see if the blades in the cutter head or parallel (side to side with the table),

if they are then adjust the rear table level with the blades, (under all most all operations you will have the rear table level with the cutter knives),

use the fence and use the guards, (hey I not much of a gard fan on many tools, but a jointer is one that a gard is necessary,
    and use push sticks, or a notched pressure board to push with),

(wood chippers are basically a large planer head, a small planer will eat you for lunch so fast that you would not even know it happened),
    when I would show a new employ or student I would take a 3/4" square stick and open up the gard and I could feed that stick in to the head 3' of it in 2 seconds, they never used that machine with out the guards,

by the way I have a few holes in the shop door where the table saw kicked backed,

they are not dangerous to use if the guards are in place and your watching your fingers and hands, and keep alert to the job at hand,

(if the rear table is not adjustable then you will have to reset the cutter head knives level and parallel to the table

knives must be sharp, especialy if your doing wide stock (over 3/4") or the vibration will not let you do a good job,

next set the in feed table about 1/16" to a 1/32" below the knives and try it out, if your still sniping the edge or making a bowed cut your cutters or out feed table is not set right ,

some basic information,
    http://www.woodworkingtools.com/Editorials/jointer.html
    "
    Basic Jointer Knives Adjustment
    The Jointer out-feed table should always be adjusted exactly the same height (within a few thousands of an inch) as the tip of the jointer knives. Once the out feed table height is established, lock it in and don't touch it till you resharpen your knives."