Joint Ill

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by mblouse0813, Mar 14, 2004.

1. mblouse0813

mblouse0813 Member

I have a lamb about 3 months old. He has a big swelling in his upper back leg. He has had it for couple months now. It had been hot and that went away but the swelling has not. We have been giving him LA200 & sulfa pills. His other leg is weak but no swelling. While he's on the antibiotics his leg with out the swelling is OK. But when off the antibiotics it too gets weak and turns in when he walks. The leg with the swelling he just drags along. Does any one know what I can do for this?? He has gotten to be a pet now. & also I raise Nubian dairy goats& I am exspecting kids in about a month and don't want them to contract any thing! Any information would be helpful. He is our only sheep. Thanks in advance!!! Mary Lou

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

It doesn't sound like joint ill more like a wound and whatever (a splinter? broken needle?) is still in there. The other leg being weak is curious maybe the sulfa drugs were too much for his rumen or it may be totlaly unrelated. I'd ask a vet about this one.

3. BetsyK in Mich

BetsyK in Mich Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a lamb last spring with something that sounds similiar, I'll share my experience, not that this may be what is wrong with your little guy. I noticed this lamb stepping gingerly on one hind leg and when I investigated found that the joint was swollen. The "knee" joint on the other hind leg, because he was hopping to avoid pressure on the sore one, began to swing to the outside with every step until I became concerned about the hip joint. I gave him a shot of LA 200 and tried to wrap/support the other leg joint which I found out is pretty much impossible. The swelling went down a bit only to return in a few days more than ever. Finally decided I would try drawing the infection out of the joint and began putting hot epson salts compresses on it three times a day. After several days a "head" appeared about the size of a dime. In another couple days it was as large as a half dollar. I decided I would lance it so that I could clean up the puss to prevent infection getting on the ground of the pen and so I could treat it while it was clean. I had gone to the house for something to lance it with and when I got back it had a small hole started by itself. I squeezed the puss out, being careful to catch it in a paper towel, hole got larger. about the size of a dime and slathered on a good dose of honey kind of pushing it down into the hole, wrapped it good with clean bandage. The next day the lamb was much harder to catch, he could run around the pen again and was putting weight on the leg. Within a week it was impossible to pick him out of the flock. The other back leg eventually righted itself and he weighed 120# when he went to the auction. I don't know if this is the problem with your lamb but it worked for me. Never did see a sliver or anything in the sore spot and didn't have any other lambs have a problem. Good luck.

4. mblouse0813

mblouse0813 Member

Hi Betsy, It does sound similar. We were thinking of trying to draw the infection out with a needle too. Is that what you did? Mary Lou

5. BetsyK in Mich

Mary Lou, I used hot epson salt compresses applied to the swollen area on the inside of his knee joint. I didn't want to break the skin and allow it to drain until it was completely drawn because I was afraid of contamination the barn and other lambs or creating an avenue for other infection to get into his leg. It took a few days but finally came to a head. Does the joint or some area on the leg appear to be swollen? Epsom Salts are really good for bringing out infections or hives for that matter and honey draws infection too, after the puss is gone. It only took a couple days of redoing the bandage with fresh honey before the opening began to heal. Have to keep wrap good to keep it clean, lambs seem to be able to find the wettest/dirties place to lay when they don't feel good. Keep your pen bedded up and clean too.

6. mblouse0813

mblouse0813 Member

Hi Betsy, His swelling is the whole top of the rear leg. like this thigh. I have started the epsom salt soaks. I don't have to worry about bedding he is a insde lamb right now. :D I do make sure his crate is clean and lots of blankets. (This lamb is really spoiled) :haha: He is our only lamb, one of 2 my boys were given but the other one died the day after we got them. I have nursed this little guy since he was 2 weeks old. But I just can't seem to get this leg healed. My biggest worry is my goat kids will be born in about 4 weeks. I have just gotten into raising show goats and I don't need them getting any thing from my lamb. I will keep doing the epsom salt soaks & see if it acomplishes any thing. I will let you know. Thanks again for the advice. :) Mary Lou

7. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

I once had a lamb that had a bum leg. X-rays showed that it was a greenstick fracture - casted it and she healed up fine. She has since survived an attack by a dog and has also successfully lambed 3 times. Just a thought. Ask your vet.

8. BetsyK in Mich

Wondering today how your lamb is doing. If the whole leg is swollen could he have injured it, stepped on or stepped in a hole and twisted it, etc.? Hope he is better today.

9. Thank you so much for the advice about using honey. I have a lamb 3 weeks old now, been to the vet twice, said swelled knee was joint ill. On the second visit the swelling was lanced, unbelievable pus came out, but still no improvement even with antibiotic jabs. Third day of honey treatment now, swelling has almost disappeared. This lamb was so weak and sick , couldn't take more than a couple of steps before collapsing. Today she got across the garden before the legs gave way. Can't stand up long enough for feeding from the mother, so being bottle-reared. I am now adding a spoon of honey to the bottle feed, perhaps it will further help to heal from the inside. Three days ago I thought it might be kinder just to let her die - looked like she would anyway, but now I am hoping for a full recovery. Thanks again !!

10. georgi

georgi New Member

how did you administer the honey? We have a very joint ill lamb (posted in the Sheep forum recently). We were adding honey to his bottle but any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Also what exact type of honey is best, Cheers

11. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I have a question also...

What property of the honey is causing the healing? Also, in what specific cases can the honey be used?

Thanks!