Join National Arbor Day Foundation for $10, get 10 free trees

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sgl42, Jan 7, 2007.

1. sgl42

sgl42 Well-Known Member

saw this on dealnews

I have no affiliation with the National Arbor Day Foundation, and I know nothing about them other that what's on their web page. So, you'll have to do your own due diligence.

But, it seemed like a few people here might be interested in this.

I did not see any fruit trees available, but they have flowering trees, or oak trees. It varies by zip code.

--sgl

2. AlaOutlaw

AlaOutlaw Well-Known Member

I got this in the mail yesterday but it was $15 to join in the letter they sent me.

3. mwhit

mwhit Well-Known Member

I got the offer in the mail too-- $15 for 10 trees, a tree book and a flowering shrub.

4. RLStewart

RLStewart Well-Known Member

I deliver mail and I've seen the trees. They are in pretty sad shape by the time you get them and they were only tiny twiggs to begin with.

5. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

I've been on their website IIRC the trees are guaranteed, so if they die within a year they send you more. Seemed like a nice deal to me. Of course the state tree nursery is only a few miles from my place, and I have all the trees I can possibly fit anyway, including a jillion oak seedlings. Maybe I should sell some of them....

Oh, one fun fact I learned on vacation this year: Chattanooga has more trees in the city than any other except some place in China. But that's not the interesting bit: during the war, the armies cut down every tree for miles around, every tree in the whole valley, even the family oaks. The whole Chattanooga area was completely bare of trees in 1865, and it was a concerted effort that has made it the second most tree-y (?) city in the world.

6. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I've been a past member. Yes, the trees are terrible, and none survived. I didn't do the guarantee thing since I figured the replacements would be duplicates. You get what you pay for.

7. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

I've been a member too & I'm sure they are a good organization but the trees never live. They are, at best, sticks w/'hair' on one end. I have one Washington Hawthorn that is nearly 2' tall after 4 yrs. Everything else died & I tried a lot of 'sticks'.

Patty

8. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

I tried that last year, signed up in January, trees showed up mid June, rotting and white with mold.

Didn't up my estimation of the organization - they're suppose to KNOW about trees, after all.

I'll get mine from the County extension office.

Cathy

9. Yldrosie

Yldrosie Well-Known Member

I've gotten trees from them twice. The first bunch were flowering. From Red Buds to Hawthorns and Crabapples. They all did well, with the biggest over 20' now at 6 yrs. The 2nd bunch were Blue Spruce. Out of 10, 9 survived. I have given a lot of them away, but still have 3 in pots. The largest is about 3 1/2 '. They all looked like dead sticks when they came in the mail.

10. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Many Conservation Districts have tree/sapling sales in the spring...often for about the same price when bought in lots of 10 or 100...depends on the type of tree, shrub, location, etc.
    Buy local!
    Ann

11. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

Still waiting on them trees. They kill more tress in their mailing than they get started it sounds to me.Save you money

12. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Years back, before they started this whole flowering tree offer, I got some decent trees from them. Tiny, but healthy and most of them lived if I could protect them from the rabbits. I have tryed the flowering tree offer twice and nothing has survived. I don't know what they actually DO with the money they raise, but it's a pretty lousy way to encourage tree growing as far as I am concerned.

13. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

We got them, they almost all died. We also ordered from them, those were bigger trees, afterall. And most of them died. Send for replacements, you get the same sad trees. We gave up on them after that first year, but we still get their pleas for money every month or two.

14. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with buying local. Every Spring I go to Alabama and take my mom to the Forestry Commission tree sale. All trees/shrubs are $1 each and you can get as many as they have available. Every year they offer different stuff. I especially like getting Crepe Myrtles, Red Buds and wild crabapple trees. It's become an annual thing for us.

15. KCM

KCM Well-Known Member

I've tried their tree offer twice over the years. I ordered spruce pine and they arrived in the mail no bigger than a drinking straw. They were almost dead in the mail so they didn't really stand much of a chance and they all died after planting.

The foundation's tree mailings are a good idea in theory but if you're interested in joining just to get a supposed deal on some trees, you'd be better off going out in the woods and digging up a few saplings. Or as others have already pointed out, buy your trees locally.

If you want to join the organization because you believe in their cause, just donate the money to them. Suggest to them that they should just plant the ten trees on your behalf. I'd think they'd get a lot more people seriously helping them with their cause if they did it that way.

16. muzzelloader

muzzelloader Well-Known Member

Darn! I just sent in my $15.00 sure hope I have better luck . It seemed like a pretty good deal the way it was stated in the order form letter I got.

17. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

We've had pretty good luck with the trees....except for the Hawthorns - which they promptly sent me replacements the next year and those are doing great.

These are bareroot trees so you really have to baby them. I water them during dry periods in the winter and that helps.

I don't mind supporting the organization and if I get 10 trees out of the deal - even if half don't make it ...it has been worth. I share with my parents.

18. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

This is bare root stock. They always look like they will not survive. The only thing is to look at what is growing in your area and then plaint them. I used to work at the Arkansas Forestry Commision as a nursery tech. The bare root is the best to plaint. They will grow more rapidly than any other trees avalible.
    If you want a profectianal opinion you need to contact the Forestry people in your area and ask them whicht to plaint. This is to get the best ones that are sutible in your area and to your soil.
    In my area I can grow many of the trees but not in the same location on my property. In the low part I can grow Black Walnuts but in the high places I can only grow thinks that are from the mountians tops.

19. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I've joined twice. There is a flowering plum in my backyard that I got from them 13 years ago. We prune it like mad, and it's still 15 feet tall or so. I also have a smaller redbud, a flowering crab, and a hawthorn that have been around for 3 years or so. A large percentage of them die, but then so do the teeny tiny trees I get from the SWCD locally every year. I figure if I plant 20 trees a year, and only 4 live, that's still 4 more trees on the planet.

20. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I planted 21 Norway Spruce last year, but I got them at Rural King. $5 each in one gallon pots. They are all doing well, except for the one I ran over with the lawn mower! It is still alive, but I'll replace it in the spring.

I planted these as a windbreak and will do the other side of my property this year.

I think it was well worth the money to get older, potted stock. Seedlings are too fragile.

Jena