Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all might as well join my "is she preggers" guessing game, and we'll all have some fun. Took some shots last evening, so sorry about the shady quality.

Post your guesses, and why! Then we'll see what happens.

First, here's a reference shot of the non-preggers reluctant doe, taken last fall...

OK, now here are the ones I took last night. Doe, rear view (I know, not good quality, she kept trying to turn to face me)...

Doe and buck side by side, to show what each could give the other and show more of doe...

Another doe shot, note the teats...

Couple of the buck, just for fun. See the nice, brown front legs? Whew...

What he looked like this spring...

OK, GUESS AWAY! Is she preggers, or is she not? Your guess is as good as mine! Cuz mine changes every day. I don't want to skew results by offering my reasons pro/con. What do you think? Let's have some fun with this.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Oh I'm going to guess no - based on the fuzzy back end pic... I'm having a few of my own issues here with 'preggo or no' so I'm probably wrong ;-p

Andrea

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh man, only one vote? And it's no? It's looking bad for ya as a cull, darlin'.

·
Enabler!
3,865 Posts
Well I have been staring at goat vaginas daily for weeks... ewww and I am quite tired of it.
I will vote yes pregnant just for luck since I have so little experience. :)
Her bag though looks like it could be but since she would not behave I can't see it that well.
Plus I read your other thread and you don't want much do you, " I want it to be twins and I want a buck and a doe and etc".
LOL I hope she at least gives you one after all this guessing and waiting.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL...thanx!!! This thread now sounds like me every other time I look at her. Her teats do seem more prominent and slightly bagged, she seems to be fuller in girth...lower in the stomach near the back legs...but she seemed to be like that last winter, too, and I got nothing for it. If you look at my first pic, that is how she looked when I bid on her, and I thought SURE she was preggers. She is so springy, it's hard to tell just by looking, like you can with a dairy goat or percentage.

I just don't get the deal, if she is not this time. The buck nailed every other doe for spring while she missed, this doe is obviously in good nutrition and good health, and while she's no spring chicken she is not geriatric. I am not seeing any overt evidence of her being a freemartin. I just don't get it. She's got a ride here til December, in case she's not bred but the buck breeds her while they are together in the barnyard. After that, she's a cull. I'm only giving her that shot because I'd like a buck out of her, since she is obviously easy-fleshing.

More opinions, please...just for fun...

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,826 Posts
My guess is No. :cool:

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have one here that we swore in five directions was preggo - turns out she's just very, well, fleshy/healthy - ok ok, FAT. She never took - until I put her on a hay only diet, she didn't get to go out on pasture with the rest...she got a bit baggy and everything - just it wasn't preggo - it was fat ;-p

I sure hope I'm wrong for you Jim!

·
Registered
246 Posts
My guess would be no. She looks quite "healthy" as in fluffy, not fat. I just don't see anything that looks like a kid in there. Of course, I could be wrong and all that fluff is hiding the signs of a kid.

Sorry Jim, I'm no help.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I'm not getting any pregnancy vibrations, so I am voting no....

·
Registered
407 Posts
No. Back end just doesn't have the pregnant shape. Or maybe she is under six weeks bred.

·
Enabler!
3,865 Posts
Well as she or not? Don't keep us in suspense :p

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
By her back end I say NO =+( Sorry
Her teats are a little prominant, so if she is a first freshener, I say maybe. If she has kidded before, I stick with NO.

·
SarahJoy [loves her farm]
264 Posts
She looks bred to me. Maybe just with a single. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Kidded before? who knows....first freshener? Then yessireebob...

·
Registered
129 Posts
She looks about as heavy in the fall picture, as she does now. By looking at her body and the weight she is carrying, she looks like she could be pregnant. But, by looking at her bag, I would guess she is not kidding anytime soon. With her past history, and the fact the buck keeps breeding her, I'm guessing no.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
NO!?!?!?!!? All Our Boer have little udders like that and they have never kidded! I should send a pic of Taffy she looks 6 months pregnent! Way over 5 months and shes never been near a buck!!!!!!!!!! just very very very BOER (or maybe the baby fat still on her from when she was a kid!)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts