Johnsongrass, What kills it?????

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FarmboyBill, Apr 22, 2006.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought a bottle of Roundup from WM. I coulkdnt mget the directions to seperate and so called them. They said take a cap full of concentrate for gallon. Im not sure that is right. Whats your thoughts? Also, Im wondering, since he had to look through more than the listing on the back ob bottles there as they didnt have it listed on their grasses that it kills, would it hurt anything to mix gas or Diesel in with the water when I spray it on?? Its in a garden thats being taken 1/2 over so far. Its a drouth yr here and so im not expecting much out of the garden anyhow, which makesa it a good year to kill this stuff. Also, do goats like poison ivy?

2. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Hi,Bill.Depending on how the roundup is packaged,it comes in different concentrations.The concentrate of glyphosate I get is 41%.For general spraying(including johnson grass)I go three ounces to a gallon,which makes a pretty hot solution.I wouldn't spray diesel in the garden,but glyphosate is just fine.Also,if you mix with diesel,the diesel will knock down the tops before the glyphosate has a chance to do its work.Another tip-Dont buy roundup.Their patent is expired,and you can get the same chemical waaaaaay cheaper from other companies.For example,a 2 and a half gallon jug of 41% glyphosate from roundup costs $185-$200 here.If I buy it labeled as "eraser"or hi-yield brand"killzall",it's $60,for the same amount, of the same concentration, of the same chemical-a $140 savings.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Your first mistake was buying the Roundup at WM. Look on the label and tell me the rate of concentrate. I will wager it is less than 41% glyphosphate. You need the 41% strength and you also paid too much. At a farm supply that sells to farmers that raise crops you whould be able to buy a quart of 41% glyphospate much cheaper. A 10 quart container of glyphospate 41 % strength should not be more than $50 to $60. You need to also buy a surfactant to create what is now sold as enhanced roundup. At an acre rate of 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of glyphosphate per ACRE with the label recommendation for the surfactant plus 20 gallons of water you should be prepared to spray the johnson grass. Measure you garden area and determine the percentage of it to an acre, 43,560 sq. ft. Mix enough solution to meet your space requirements and spray in the morning when you do no expect rain for the balance of the day. If the johnson grass attempts to recover when it dies down from the initial spray repeat the process. Johnson grass is difficult to control as it spreads via seed and rhyzomes.
    Goats do like poison ivy and if you pet the goats it will transfer the poison ivy to you.

4. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Yep.Agmantoo brings up a good point about surfactant.The glyphosate I buy has surfactants included,but I usuallygive the mix a shot of liquid dish soap for good measure.If you use the dish soap,add the soap after the water,so it doesn't foam up.

5. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Bill, I am having the same problem. I tried the "Ruth Stout Deep Mulch" gardening method about 3 years ago and have regretted it. Mrs. Stout never had to deal with Johnson grass or Bermuda grass ( I call it garden cancer). It all got a BIG head start under the deep mulch and sprang up and ambushed me when I was too busy to do hand to hand combat. Last year, I had to use a weed eater to find my garden produce...... I got alot stuff canned and put up but every time I looked at the garden, I felt like a dismal failure.
    I broke down and sprayed the garden on Thursday morning and the Johnsongrass is wilting today. The Bermuda is still quite perky. I am going to wait until Monday to till it up. Then I am going to wait a few days and spray anything that sprouts before starting the garden. I know I will be a little late with planting but I don't care if my neighbors get tomatoes before I do.
    I did 3 oz to the gallon per the directions that took me forever to get peeled back enough to read.
    I have quite a few raised beds that are just hopeless. I am going to remove the walls and use them for a strawberry bed somewhere else. I used concrete blocks and the johnsongrass and bermuda can hide in the cracks and just wait until I am not looking to sprout up again.
    It is dry up here,too.
    Goats love poison ivy. I usually get it on my right shoulder every year. That is the shoulder that brushes up against the goats as I milk them.....

Tana Mc

6. JackDeePeyton

JackDeePeyton Well-Known Member

Had some major problems with johnson grass for years, tried everything that I could get my hands on. Finally tried something else that may or may not work for you. I used a brush burner, its a propane tank with a 8 ft hose on it. Usually set on the bed of the truck and the wife drives slowly while I turn it up full blast. Need to be careful if you use this method and have a garden hose handy. I just got tired of it and now as soon as I see the stuff growing, I hit it had. Best of luck.

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

If you are willing to fence the area and get a couple of pigs they will rid you of the johnson grass. The pigs will dig the roots and eat them thus eliminating the unwanted plant. I used to think johnson grass was difficult to eliminate until I got sicklepod!