Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get Johnny's Selected Seeds newsletter, and here's an excerpt for what they think you can plant for a fall garden. I know there was a thread on it not that long ago. It talks about salads, flowers, herbs and then veggies at the end.

Jennifer

"You might not need a reminder of this, but August is a time to sow seeds for fall salads. I'm talking about all of the leaf and root crops, not the fruiting crops: lettuce, endive, escarole, radicchio and other chicories, spinach, chard, arugula, cress, mustard, kale, radishes, and turnips.
August sowings are less tricky than July, because the weather is usually milder.

Flowers (annuals for August sowing in North Temperate - places like Iowa, Washington, New York, Poland, Northern Japan, Southern Quebec.)

Agrostemma, asters, bupleurum, calendula, celosia, centaurea, coreopsis, cosmos, gypsophila, kale (ornamental), marigold, morning glory, nasturtium, nigella, phlox, reseda.

Herbs (annuals for August sowing in North Temperate)

Basil, calendula, cilantro (coriander), dill, fennel, parsley.

Vegetables (for August sowing in North Temperate)

Beets, broccoli, cabbage, Chinese cabbage, carrots, endive, escarole, fennel, greens, kale (and collards), kohlrabi, lettuce, onion (bunching and mini), peas, radicchio, radishes, spinach, squash (summer), turnips. "

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
This will be my first stab at a fall garden, but I'm going with carrots, spinach, winter squash, and cabbage. I've got potato and onion coming out of the ground now and when I've finished off the last of those rows I'll till everything under and it'll be time for the fall stuff. Hopefully by the middle of next week.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
I'll look that list over for Sept- SOuth temperate

1 - 3 of 3 Posts