John Deere

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Aug 25, 2004.

1. What do you think of the J.D. 12 hp lawn tractors with a Kawasockie engine I am thinking of buying a used one This one has an oil pump and oil filter on it

2. Try a ride and a drive on the john deere mower before purchasing. I know a person that has one and he states the forward speed and the blade/cutting speed are not compatible. He is not happy with his purchase.

3. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Do a search on here for another thread that discussed JD and other brands. I have a 25 yo JD 10 HP mower that we keep tuned up and happy. We LOVE it. My neighbor who works on mowers cannot stand the new ones. One of the other neighbors has been through 2 new JD fancy mowers in the last 6 years. It is built so the shade-tree mechanic cannot servise them with computers that need serviced and hydraulic this and that. I would not buy a new one of any kind from JD.

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

The engines are great, but so are almost all of the small engines found on lawn mowers. Only ones I've seen break are the totally abused ones. Problem is the motor is usually never the reason a mower quits or the thing that makes a mower a good mower.