John Deere riding mower

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by PezzoNovante, Jul 21, 2004.

1. PezzoNovante

PezzoNovante Well-Known Member

We bought a 130 in December to replace an MTD rider that wore out. Figured paying more would get us a better built machine.

Better built is is, but it is slower than the MTD and seems to have less power.

Blasphemous, I know, but can someone steer me towards a resource that will show how to strip out the California emissions stuff and maybe also gain some speed on the thing? I mean, even the cruise control won't run at top speed when set.

With the MTD it took 2.5 hours to mow the yard and gas needed to be added. The deck is wider on the 130 but it still takes over two hours and it runs out of gas before finishing.

Looks spiffy, though.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

When were the blades sharpened last? If it's been a while you might find you can gear up once they are sharp.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    A 1/2 inch larger diameter drive pully may solve your problem quickly, but it will take some of the power away while adding speed.

4. PezzoNovante

PezzoNovante Well-Known Member

Not the blades, it ran that way "out of the box".

It would appear that this mower was designed by liability attorneys <g> not rural inhabitants.

It's one of those variable speed drive tupes, mach down the pedal and it goes faster, independent of the throttle. Push on the cruise control at top speed and it slows down to a brisk walk.

In its favor the deck is sturdy and the three sets of blades do a nice job mowing the tall grass. The seat is comfortable, too.