John Deere or New Holland?????

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Hawkfamily, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Hawkfamily

Hawkfamily Well-Known Member

Please help with a difficult decision! I am comparing the TC30 New Holland and the John Deere 790. Also, kicking around the idea of the 3203 with the hydrostatic transmission.
    I can see the benefits of all three of these tractors, but am having trouble deciding on which one is best for me.
    Please offer up your knowledge, opinions, preferences and advice on my tractor purchase! I am driving myself (and mostly my wife) crazy at this point....

Thanks in advance
    Ben

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've never looked at these models but can guess they're all close on quality. If dealer support is equal see if any of these tractors will do these things. Free spin on the PTO when the tractor is turned off (you shouldn't hook up a PTO with the tractor running) Has either remote hitch controls on the rear fender or releasable ends so you can fit on 3pth equip more easily. Fold down ROPS, you shouldn't fold it down but you may have to. Which has the better visability all round? Easiest access to jump start, fuel or service? Heaviest axel material, least plastic and electronics. What's the most comfortable?

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

If it ain't green, don't buy the machine :p ....John Deere gets my vote, stronger resale value, easier on the eyes :)

4. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

My first reaction is (with all these chinese tractors floating around) where is the nearest dealer for parts and service. And/or is there a better dealer. I've got a new holland dealer 9 miles away. They'll come pick up my tractor for a $1 a mile to have it serviced. $18 is pretty darn cheap (easier than driving it the 18 miles...'specially if it won't start.)

Both tractors are fine, but dealership service and parts availability are probably more important.

5. TheBlueOne

TheBlueOne Well-Known Member

What are you doing with it? Knowing what your plans are makes it easier to offer insight. If you're using it in a building (clean out a barn for example) New Holland's "SuperSteer" option will give you increased mobility. Re-sale value New Holland is good but John Deere is better. Sit on all of them and compare ergonomics; how easy are they to use, are the controls where they "should" be. When I got mine (John Deere 4310 eHydro) the ergo's of the JD outshown the others, not that they were bad, but I felt more comfortable on the Deere than the others.

6. Hawkfamily

Hawkfamily Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses so far.
    In answer to what I am doing with the tractor - initially... our new property is completely overgrown with brush and pasture and blackberries, etc....so there will be a great deal of clearing and preparation. In the long run, maintaining the property and pastures (smaller pockets of pasture). In the future, we hope to have a large enough barn that we would be using a tractor inside, but currently our barn and henhouse is not accessible anyway. Due to a small bridge at the front of our property, a dump truck or large vehicle is not able to get in. We would like the tractor to transport stuff to the house/back of the acreage.
    thanks again
    ben

7. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

John Deere

Why?

Excellent hydraulics, parts availability, engine reliability, "tuffness", fuel economy, The BEST tractors ever built in my opinion. I have used a 790 off and on for a while, I LOVE it! Wish it was mine. Outperformed Kubotas and Mahindras that were slightly larger in size everytime.......You WONT make a mistake with the "Green Machine".................

8. BD

BD Active Member

hi, depending on how much you are spending, did you think about a earlier JOHN DEERE ???? you might look at a JD 2040 . That was 1979 up. Diesel fuel efficient and a USA real tractor .
    this is about 40 horse. I got a 2440 JD and it is great. A loader is a must great for snow and fill bucket with anything. one rear hydraulic outlet would be really helpful. That could be used for a 3 point hitch log splitter and on pull type equipment with hydraulic cylinder. As far as horse power goes you never have enough . PLUS, it will give you more options later. BOB

9. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Hawk Ya got a new tractor in the yard yet??????

10. chuckhole

chuckhole Born city, love country

I would listen to what Ross has to say. I saw his list of equipment in a post about a month ago. There was a few of everything.

My choice ended up being the Kubota and I love it. I have the L2800 4WD. Between NH and JD, it would be the JD. After Orange, Greene was my second color and Blue was third. The Front End Loader is a must have item.

One of the largest Kubota dealers in the USA is in Normangee, TX, not too far from us. That was real important to us. We get along well with them and their service department is excellent.

11. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

wich one has a dealer nearby with on duty mechanics? Both brands are pretty good tractors. Good service, and parts availability are what would make the decision for me

12. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

If you consider all the available information and you are still undecided, look in your clothes closet.

If you see mostly green, buy the John Deere.

If you see mostly blue, buy the New Holland.