John Deere lawnmowers ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ana Bluebird, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

I mow a lot of yard and have had trouble over the years of wearing out my riding lawnmower in about 3 years---I've had lots of brands. So I decided to buy a John Deere hoping to get it to last a little longer. Well, this is year 3 and I've had the plastic hinge break, the bolts that hold the motor on just fell off, tearing up the muffler ($200plus), and the deck is having vibration problems. Also I think it's getting weaker. My son bought a Deere last year (bigger and better than mine) and it's bolts are falling out. His is still under warranty, luckily. Am I just expecting too much or what?

2. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

actually , i don't think they're made by jd anymore. i think they might be made by mtd or similar. so now they are pretty much the same as lowes or murray and the like. also thats why they are not much higher now.

3. Greenthumber

Greenthumber New Member

Ana-

I've had the same problems (and more) with my John Deere lawn equipment. My father warned me that there smaller equipment is crap, and I should've listened.

I've been thinking about sending them a letter (public relations) about how they are shooting themselves in the foot. Since then, I've bought two farm tractors (both New Holland), two balers (New Holland and IH), a backhoe (Case), and two bulldozers (Cat). I avoided John Deere because of the problems I had on their lawn equipment, and it really hurt them when I went bigger! I talked with my wallet, which will eventually make them take notice.

I bought one of their SST lawnmowers, and had two gas tanks fail at the seam. I had an electronic problem that took forever to find, and problems with flimsy cowling being in places that is sure to get cracked or broken off when mowing close to trees, etc.

Some "customer satisfaction" rep. was unlucky enough to call me during the middle of all my problems, and I gave them about 30 minutes worth of my story. I offered to sell them back the mower for 70% of what I had paid for it 4 months prior, and they acted like I was insane. They sure didn't want it back though! And, of course, nothing ever came of my complaints....

For heavy mowing, I've heard the Toro Commercial stuff is good. For heavy duty weedeating, Shindawa is awesome!

Sorry we had to learn the hard way!

4. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

We are on our second JD mower. We get the kind with the engine in back and because we have lots of trees to mow around. It has a lot of hours on it and teh only problems have been mower blades :rolleyes: (Gee I wonder who keeps hitting rocks ...) and steering seems a little vulnerable on these. It has broken down twice in that area ... But I think this mower is about 8 years old and between MIL and I, with two big irregular yards, it does take a lot of abuse.

We also have four JD tractors -- a 2510, a 3020, a 4020 and a 4430 -- and DH prefers them because he thinks they keep their resale value better. Although he and his dad have owned the three older ones since the 1960s.

Our local JD dealer just got word that they will have to close out their farm equipment sales and service. Statistics "show" we now live in an urban county :confused: so the multi-generation JD dealership is reduced to selling lawn mowers, equipment and toys. Now that we would like to replace our corn planter, I don't know if we will get a green one or not.

Ann

PS -- Our mower has lots of busted up places and missing pieces -- ends of knobs and cracks and dents -- but still runs. We don't care what it looks like as long as it keeps going. Of course it didn't help to run into the RV but that's another story.

5. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

John Deere used to mean a great piece of equipment...it doesn't any longer. We've had problems with our JD garden tractor since the second it hit the driveway. We're on the second engine already and it's only 5 years old. This wasn't the low end of the line tractor either...the tractor, 52" mowing deck, and snowthrower were over $6000.

I've had problems with many products/services over the years and usually a letter to the company would resolve the problem. Not so with John Deere, they are the only company that I've ever dealt with that would not respond to a letter. Nada, nothing, zip. They don't care about the consumer, they are simply resting on the laurels of the old, well made John Deere equipment.

There will never be another piece of green and yellow crap on our farm.

Stacy in NY

6. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Definately not americam made any more. yesterday they cut 10 designers whereI'm working. One guy whining about the jobs going over seas to India and we ought to make it illegal when someone reminded him he drives a Sabaru!!!!

mikell

7. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

What john deere did you buy. There is a big differance between series. The Saber is the low end, The LX, LT midrange and the GT and X series. If your buying a saber and using it commerically instead of an X series then yes I would think it would wear out in 3 years.

8. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

I think ours is a ...? Well, now ... maybe I'll just go out and look at the dumb thing before I finish this thought ... ;)

OK ... we have a JD SRX75 ... it is (we're trying to figure out) about 7 to 8 years old. It looks tough but still works.

9. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

We have quite a bit of lawn and seem to go through riding lawn mowers like socks!! I will admit that we usually buy one of the MDT or Murry ones, and they last aboue 2 or 3 years. We thought this time we would buy a better one. But there is my question. Which one would last the best?? We have quite a few rocks, trees, fence line. So any suggestions??
    I hate paying more for a riding lawn mower than I paid for my car!!! And we do not need a tractor, we have a Ford Diesel tractor. We can use the bush hog to mow the hay field, but we still need something for the "lawn" type areas.
    Alice in Virginia

10. Irish Pixie

Ours is a GT 235. It's a 54" mowing deck, not 52" as I stated in another post.

I loathe John Deere. I wish we would have went with Cub Cadet.

Stacy in NY

11. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

BINGO!...American-made Cub Cadet!....that's the way to go if you have a dealer close to you (IMHO)

12. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

John Deere's lower end riding mower/lawn tractors are made in Greeneville,TN which is still part of the U.S.. They are extremely production made low end lawn mowers. They can turn out a tractor every 45 seconds and run 3 shifts a day when production is high. They are the major supplier for Home Depot. Cub Cadet is owned by MTD which also owns Troy Bilt, Bolens, and makes many other named mowers. In comparison the Cub has a much better rear end/driveline than JD's. If you want a real quality JD be prepared to spend $4-7k and buy it at a JD dealer and not a discount retailer.

13. charles

charles Well-Known Member

For mowing an acre or more I'd prefer a small 60's to 70's tractor (ca. $3k) and a 60" or more finishing mower (less than $2k). Each should last decades.

14. We just invested in a NewHolland TZ24DA with an under carrage mower (extra)(since at present we have just under an acre, but will have more in another couple of years so can get attatchments if we like). This is one awsome little mower/tractor. We've heard very good things about NH's and hope this little baby will get us 15 years min. It sure does beat spending 1000 or more every couple or so years. We decided that we would rather spend a little extra at once for quality one time than a still good chunk of change several times over the years for less quality. As it is, we've gone through 300$ push mowers 2 in 4 years, and it's just not worth it to go cheep anymore. Luck in your choice. Reese

15. Irish Pixie

We bought ours at an authorized JD dealer...paid over $6000.00 and it still sucks.

Stacy in NY

16. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

What can I say? I was on my way to buy a Cub to go along with my $900 10 yr. old Murray. I stopped at a store and thru a conversation heard a customer say he was selling his used Murray 17 hp. I mentioned I was looking for a mower, I looked at his garage kept well maintained Murray and bought it for $350. We have mowed well over an acre of hilly lawn with our 12.5 HP Murray for 10 yrs. All I've ever had to do was routine maintenance and some blade replacement due to rocks. It has survived my wife that mows as fast as possible and my 2 teens that have done everything to this mower including hauling manure and dirt with the cart attached to it. I have had to pull it out of the woods with my tractor when they got it stuck. This new used Murray mows beautifully and I am happy as I have kept my thousands in the bank.

17. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

They don't build machines like they used too.

That goes for Troy Built, John Deere, and cub cadet

My grandma has a old cub cadet with a 17 hp motor on it, loved the one lever tranny, I could spinn the tires in reverse.[​IMG]

The John Deere Sabers around are very poor quality. I wouldn't buy one.[​IMG]

the Mowers built in the 70' and 80's were tough STEEL mowers.

BTW John Deere 4020's do keep their value, they're one of the most useful tractors ever built.

18. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

IT'S SUBARU.

BTW the Outback IS made in USA laffyettte Indiana.
    (and I am employed by a supplier)

DON'T DISS SUBARU.[​IMG]

19. R.

R. Well-Known Member

and have had the same riding mower for about 11 years. Each spring I send it to shop for annual maintenance: blades sharpened, oil changed, etc. It has had a problem now and then, but still has lots of life left.

20. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

We have a 1978 JD 210 which we bought used in 1990. We use and abuse it. Our neighbor can fix anything on it--we bought the manual to make it easier. It runs like a top with good maintenance.

Our other neighbor has been through 2 JDs in the last 6 years. The new ones are junk. They have hydrolic this and that and computers and are expensive or impossible for the shade tree mechanic to fix. Who needs 'em? I wouldn't buy a new one for anything. Ours wil have to explode into tiny pieces for it not to be worth repairing/maintaining.

Just my 2 cents.