John Deere 830 tractor....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oz in SC, Mar 1, 2005.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Found a 1974 model JD 830 tractor for sale in town and was wondering what y'all though of this tractor?

It has less than 3700 hours,power steering and has been repainted(not that well.... :) )

He wants $4950 for it.

Thanks oz.

2. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

John Deere made an 830 from 1958-1961, but that was a bigger 2-cylinder tractor. It had about 85 hp. and weighed about 8000 lbs.

The one your talking about sounds like the "New Generation" 830 they built from 1973-75. It had a 3-cyl diesel with about 35 hp, so it was more a compact utility tractor. Most of these new 830s I've seen had loaders on them, and I've seen dealers want anywhere from $6500-$12000 (w JD loader) for them, but that's usually not a firm price. For a utility tractor, that's not really low hours for that age, but that all depends on what they were using the tractor for. (I've seen some set-up with lawn tires on the rear and belly mowers.) In general, these are good tractors, but you could get comparables that were less expensive.

I'd say comparable tractors would be a later 3000 Ford and a 444 or 454 International.

You don't say what you want to use the tractor for, so it's hard to know whether this tractor will suit your needs. I guess you are looking for a utility tractor, but I don't know what you want in terms of HP, whether you just doing light utility work or need to move/handle 1500 lb.+ round bales.

Before buying any tractor, I'd enlist a guy who knows tractors well and take him with you. Drive it and test out the hydraulics under load.

3. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Well around here there are few people who own any tractors....not much use for them in suburbia I guess.

We really don't NEED a tractor right now as there is not a lot we can do apart from attempting to clear the brush off the land...

A bonus of a JD is the area our land is in is John Deere country and has a dealership in the nearest town.

A loader would be nice but pricewise it is too much right now.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

There are two jd 830, one a large farm tractor, another one is compact tractor. Part of the 30 series, JD 730,830,930. These are 25hp tractors. What kind of work has been done on them? 3700 is getting high enough I would like to know what if any work has been done tot he engine.

A quick check of http://equipmenttraderonline.com/ show 3 830 compacts for approx $6500 each, Both the old and new series are the same price.