John Deere 4020

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by cutinpony, Jun 19, 2005.

1. cutinpony

cutinpony Active Member

I hope someone out there can help me here . Pops is wanting to go after a JD 4020. I know it weighs a little under 9000 pounds no problem there. But how wide is the wheels front and back? My truck and trailer can take the weight no worries but I have not a clue if my trailer is wide enuff. If anyone has a idea od the width of a 4020 let me know please.

cutinpony's dh

2. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

depending how the tires are set it could be from 7' to 9' wide

I did not take a tape to my tractor but it's tires in threory are about , 78" wide set for 30' rows, and 18' wide tires,

call some one where the tractor is settign and have them take a tape and measure it,

IF I rember correctly there are three axel lengths, and some did run duels on the rear, (I have in special conditions),

and with out seeing the tractor I would have know way of knowing,

my guess is it is 8' wide, or less,

3. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

You shouldn't have a problem. The wheels can be moved as far in as they can if they are too wide for the trailer. If it has duals you can either remove them or haul it the way it is.

bobg

4. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

if you plan on trying to move the wheels which if they have not been moved for the last 35 years, then I would suggest you know what your doing,
    a 20 ton hydraulic jack, blocks, 3/4 drive socket set, or the factory wrench, the possibility of needing to move 100 pound cast wheel weights, it is not an impossible task but you will need to know how to pop the wedges loose, and if done wrong you will break off the back of the wedge and they you have fun, (I think the main rears use the wedges I know the Duals do, but it has been 20 years since I moved mine) yes they are movable and actually very easily movable, they made a good system but it is like anything that has not been used in 30 years, it seem to be harder than the manual says it is.

5. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

Had the pleasure of just buying last Wednesday a 1967 JD 4020, that we had to load and move 60 miles today. As mine is set, rear wheels are about as tight to the body as they could be give or take a few inches. Out to out on the rear wheels is 7' 4". 3-100 lb. wheel weights on each side move that out about 5" on each side, but don't really count if it's not an enclosed trailer. Front wheels are now set at approx. 6' 2", out to out. We jist measured. We have a loader, kinda on the large side that doesn't sit outside the tire line, but adds probably between 800-1000 lbs. to the weight. So we were probably somewhere in the range of 10,500 to 11,000 lbs. Hired a regular equipment hauler here in Colorado, Freightliner/drive on ramped low boy. Went just slicker than snot. From auction site to home in an hour and a half. Have fun!