Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw on the news that a college in Ft Wayne, is having a hiring fair, with 2,000 available openings, not sure in what.

Seeing more now hiring signs in Louisville and Indianapolis.

Is anybody else seeing an uptick in hiring?

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,914 Posts
What I have observed in our area, there has been companies doing some hiring all along, however the pay scale seems to have dropped. Before 2008, if you were forklift certified, you could make $14 an hour or so. Now, you see it advertised for $10. DH had to change jobs and he is making less than before, but has much more responsibility and specialized training than his old job. One of the jobs he had inquired about was driving an explosives truck...for $14/hour, um, no thanks. I know a couple of "assistant managers", who are responsible for a lot of company money and inventory, and honestly it's almost an insult what they pay them. Companies wonder why so many people steal, well when your wage offering leaves them hard up but you put them in charge of your money and goods - hello! My friends are both honest, but the no. 1 reason they have to let people go is for stealing. One of them hasn't had a raise in almost 10 years (due to increased cost of health insurance doncha know), and the newer asst mgrs still hire in at a lot less. So, my every observation says, still hiring...but for less money.

Reactions: Wanda

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
What I have observed in our area, there has been companies doing some hiring all along, however the pay scale seems to have dropped. Before 2008, if you were forklift certified, you could make $14 an hour or so. Now, you see it advertised for $10. DH had to change jobs and he is making less than before, but has much more responsibility and specialized training than his old job. One of the jobs he had inquired about was driving an explosives truck...for $14/hour, um, no thanks. I know a couple of "assistant managers", who are responsible for a lot of company money and inventory, and honestly it's almost an insult what they pay them. Companies wonder why so many people steal, well when your wage offering leaves them hard up but you put them in charge of your money and goods - hello! My friends are both honest, but the no. 1 reason they have to let people go is for stealing. One of them hasn't had a raise in almost 10 years (due to increased cost of health insurance doncha know), and the newer asst mgrs still hire in at a lot less. So, my every observation says, still hiring...but for less money.
Supply and demand. There are a lot more people out there than there are jobs for them therefore you can get someone to take the job for less money than you could when there were more jobs than people looking.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWIW in the "good old days" nearly every factory job around here, even some of the lower payers, were, full time Union jobs, with pay/skill structures and at least some health insurance.

Now, much of it comes from temp agencies, no protections or benefits.

Supply and demand for sure.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,914 Posts
Well, well, the KC media is gleefully reporting that Claycomo Ford plant is hiring 1,200 workers for another shift to build their Transit van. The starting pay is reduced from what it once was (one of many concessions UAW gave Ford, which helped them avoid needing the bailout), but these are still good jobs. That's probably the best news about the economy in this area since the crash.

Reactions: plowjockey
1 - 6 of 6 Posts