Jobs for Dogs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by buellkat, Nov 6, 2004.

1. buellkat

buellkat Active Member

Hello, I hope to have some suggestions on a "job" for my pet. He is a Border Collie/Aussie mix. He is 7 mos. old and full of energy. We have 10 acres so space is not a problem. I do not have any livestock, poultry etc. We have him for his abilities for being intelligent, active, and a great all around pet. I keep reading how his kind need a "job". Can someone please help out with what type of job we can give him?? I do not expect to get any sheep for him to herd so I would love to give him something to do. Thanks in Advance.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

BC's were born to fetch, so that job has to be an active one. Adding Aussie is hardly going to bring you any calm!! Anyhow I've often thought I needed a tennis ball launcher and I do have sheep!

3. coachlisacmt

coachlisacmt Member

We have two Border Collies (brother and sister). People thought we were crazy when I decided to leave them out at night. I heard all kinds of horror stories about wild animals eating them. They have an extra, extra large pen with a huge double dog house for the hours we are at work. Border Collies need alot of room to move. My dogs job is at night. I have a giant garden and hopefully, eventually an organic farm. My neighbors are amazed that I have never had to fence it. This is due to the Border Collies being out at night. They are also out during the day when we are home. The deer, rabbits, coyotes, mountain lion once, racoons, are all over the rest of the property but never near the house or garden. The Border Collies spend the evening protecting the boundaries of our home and garden. They never chase the animals. It is kind of a mutual respect. The Border Collies have their space and the other animals have their space.

4. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

bk--my sympathies! I have the exact same dog, except a female, and she's a royal pain! Actually, she can be really sweet, but needs constant activity. Our granddaughter has been working with her, and together they took Reserve Grand Champion in intermediate class at the county fair last year--in obedience of all things. Did them both a world of good, but that dog needs something to chase every day! She will lie and just whine softly when inside the house. Really SMART dogs, tho! Good luck with yours, Jan in Co

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Enroll in an obedience class and go as far as you can in obedience. Try to run him through the lessons once or more every day. This keeps him sharp and makes him feel useful. Force yourself to walk around the property a few times per week. While out walking, work your pup through his paces so he will obey you regardless of where he is on the property, and to make him feel like he's working. Teach him to help around the house. There are numerous little jobs he can do around the house, which is why BCs are used as service dogs. He can pick up dropped objects, for instance.

Don't forget to let him ride in the car/truck with you. Bring him into town and walk him, having him heel, loose, then heel again. Teach him to always stop and sit at the curb.

6. coachlisacmt

coachlisacmt Member

I learned from one of the ranchers to only walk on the property with the dogs in the areas you want them to go to. Anywhere you walk a dog they feel they have permission to go to, even off a leash. We did this when our Border Collies were puppies. We only walk with them in about a 2 acre area (pad, pond). If we have to go to the rest of the property with them we put them in the truck
    and drive to that spot. We have 70 acres and the dogs never leave the 2 acre area unless they go in the truck. It has worked for us.

7. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Oh, oh I want a tennis ball shooter thingie! Everywhere I go that ball is dropped at my feet. Dh hides the balls when she drives him nuts. They love work. Our Aussie drove the cattle twelve miles and still wanted to play ball when she got home. She is determined that the cats are supposed to be in the barn and any cat with the nerve to leave is promply herded back.(and they had better move fast) Her latest job is killing the mice when I turn the compost. She loves that one. She and I go for long walks just to give her some exercise. If I sit down she barks at me to get up and get moving. If you think of a regular job that doesn't involve a ball let me know. :haha:

8. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

You can probably teach him to reload the TB thingie. I had An Aussie mix that would help me find beer cans. Even learned to put them in a bag. If I had her now , I'd teach her to collect kindling. She even liked to climb trees.
    You can probably teach him to drop a ball in a bucket after he fetches it. Then get a dozen or two and throw them all over the yard before you leave. See how many are in the bucket when ya get home. You can teach these dogs to do just about anything but talk. Come to think of it , I taught mine to "sing" on command. OK , it was more of whine , but she did it on cue.

9. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

They also make toys that you can put treats in, it takes them awhile to get them out . Maybe one of those big horse balls. Or another dog or cat for company.

10. buellkat

buellkat Active Member

It has been interesting reading everybodies thoughts and suggestions. I really like the idea of teaching him to get the ball in the bucket. I shall start with him on that right away, before the snow flies!! LOL

We have trained him to be obedient, and of course it continues. He is such a clown when he tries to "not" be obedient. He was just neutered last week, so I am sure another month or so of his hormones withering, perhaps his "wandering" a little further than he should will cease.

He is a very smart animal and our family has fun and lots of laughs with our "Willy". He does go for rides, has been on a leash, etc.

Thank you again fellow "Homesteaders"!! :D

11. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Where do I get this tennis ball shooter? Desperately need one. I have 2 border collies, but one is a mix, so she's not so bad, lol.

One day my dad walked out the front door, and I hear all this horrible commotion, along with one loud thud. The dog had piled up a bunch of sticks at the door for us to throw, and dad tripped and fell as he was trying to grab on to things to keep from it. :haha: Dad wasn't happy, so that's one of those situations where you have to bust a gasket to keep from laughing. :haha:

Whatever you do for him, it needs movement. My dogs never had any interest in those little balls with treats in them. They wanted a rabbit to sprint accross the field. I bet your dog would enjoy a frisbee. My dog "herds" (and looks just like the trained herding border collies on TV) anything that has ever been thrown before, while looking at me hoping I, in my endless stupidity of course, will figure out I need to chuck it for her. If I walk by, she'll pick it up, and drop it a few feet in front of me again, and lay back down in border collie herding style again.

You might look into agility if you have anyone near you that does it. I've wanted to for a long time, but there is no one around here that does it. :(