Job offer in Greeneville, TN. Tell me about the area.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by misanthrope747, Feb 22, 2005.

1. misanthrope747

misanthrope747 Member

Hi, I'm quite new here but like the board a lot. Thanks for all the great info.

I have a company that is putting together a formal job offer for me in Greeneville, TN. Can anybody tell me about the area? I was in the area on Sunday but couldn't get a good feel for it. How are land prices, climate, soil conditions for gardening and livestock? Any other info? Thanks.

m747

2. tim1253

tim1253 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE
    I have a company that is putting together a formal job offer for me in Greeneville, TN. Can anybody tell me about the area?
    m747[/QUOTE]

There will be some in our group here that can provide you with more info. but I can generally say that, in my opinion, the Greeneville, TN area would be excellent for doing much of what is talked aboout here.

Tim
    Knoxville, TN

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i work in greeneville. i don't know about land prices, but it is still somewhat of a farmer friendly place. it is an odd mixture on rural and urban. there is a small liberal arts college, tusculum, so there are some cultural events and a fairly active downtown scene. in many ways it is a bedroom community of johnson city, and almost everyone of an alternative mind (gays, hippies, etc.) have migrated there. almost everyone goes there to shop too. it makes greeneville pretty darn white, and racist to boot. erwin is about 25 miles up the road, which is famous for not only being the place the city executed an elephant by hanging, but also the home of one of the largest white supremacy groups in TN. it has a lot of influence in the area. greeneville has a small private airport, and it's very own millionaire that donates heavily to civic causes. he is responsible for the fact that every child in greene county schools that wants to play an instrument, has one regardless of their ability to pay. as far as farming, the outlying farmland is still intact for the time being, and some very large areas, probably 2/3?? (wild guess) is under cultivation.

all in all, it seems to be a place in transition, and it's not quite clear what it will become. i'm not too crazy about it, as i do tend to be kind of "different", which is an insult in greene county. it is worth the drive for the job however.

4. misanthrope747

misanthrope747 Member

Thanks for the info. I wanted to make sure I was not making a huge mistake by picking my my roots and planting them that far away (I'm in MO).

m747

5. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Call up my old buddy Jeffery G. Wardeska. He is a big wheel in the area.

http://www.etsu.edu/CHEMISTS/wardeska.html

We were lab partners in high school. His daddy is a national icon. Longest serving Post Master in the USA with over 50 years in the same Post Office. Saw him on CNN, don't know if he retired yet or not.

You never know, if Jeff really explains the binuclear mixed-valence complexes of the transition metals at a base level what it could tell you about local soil conditions. Think he has a small pad in town, finally got to be the big boss at work. ;)

Wonder if he has mellowed, maybe when I get back to Ohio, take a trip down to the area and have a look see, try to get Jeff to give me the local skinny. :)