Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took your advice and left me dh sitting in the car (parked far, far away from the interview) to see what would happen.

Here is the deal. They loved my resume. They loved me. However at $8.50 the job does not pay enough to justify the expense of traveling the 24 miles (one way) *and* (the biggie), the shift is 7 am to 3:30 pm. There is no way I can work those hours. I was thinking that if the hours were going to be 8 - 5 I would have asked them for accommodation for my sleeping disorder and change the hours to 9 - 6, but they seemed very adamant about the 7 am start time. So, even though they were "very interested" and wanting me to start right away, I'm afraid I am going to have to look for something else.

I don't know if the results would have been any different if my dh had been there with me. I guess I will never know. But I do appreciate everyone's input.

The search continues.

donsgal

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tricky Grama said:
Oh, so sorry. I agree w/you, the hrs stink. But-it DOES seem like you would have had the offer?

Patty
Yes, I think so. The last thing she asked me was..."Do you need to think this over?" I said yes. I'll call her tomorrow and ask her if they might be willing to work with me on the start time. They might, you never know until you ask.

donsgal

·
USMC can't fix stupid(s)
2,736 Posts
donsgal said:
Well, I took your advice and left me dh sitting in the car (parked far, far away from the interview) to see what would happen.

Here is the deal. They loved my resume. They loved me. However at $8.50 the job does not pay enough to justify the expense of traveling the 24 miles (one way) *and* (the biggie), the shift is 7 am to 3:30 pm. There is no way I can work those hours. I was thinking that if the hours were going to be 8 - 5 I would have asked them for accommodation for my sleeping disorder and change the hours to 9 - 6, but they seemed very adamant about the 7 am start time. So, even though they were "very interested" and wanting me to start right away, I'm afraid I am going to have to look for something else.

I don't know if the results would have been any different if my dh had been there with me. I guess I will never know. But I do appreciate everyone's input.

The search continues.

donsgal
what difference does an hour make?
plus, you'd get off earlier!
is there a chance for a raise in 30-90 days?
is there a chance for advancement?
i think you should take it.
it'd do you good..... jmo :angel: :dance:

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
donsgal - when you call back about the job, see if you can use the tactic of being there later to clean the rooms for the late check outs. It would save time and half over time pay (if they do that). Someone needs to do it, and there are always a few that need to stay until 2 or whatever. Might be a good reason for your later hours.

Angie

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
I'm not sure how the $8.50 pay scale is negated by the commute. Granted, more would be great (and I agree with Gleanerl that you should ask about opportunities for raises and advancement commensurate with your performance), but the math works for me. Even if taxes essentially whittle down your pay to $6/hour, you've paid for two gallons of gas in just one hour of work (which ought to cover your travel costs even if you have a low-mileage car and gas is expensive in your area). That's still six-plus hours of net wages at the end of the day, isn't it?

I'd take the early hours any time, but that's me...and that's what I actually do. :)

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
$8.50 is more than most places on this side of the state pay for laundry workers. I suppose tourist areas pay more but I didn't think the pay was all that low for that kind of work. :shrug:

What type of wage did you expect or hope for when you applied for this kind of work? That's not a put down, I just wondered. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Donsgal, You know what is best for you. I have a sleep problem in the other direction; I'm asleep by 8:30 pm and usually up by 4:30 a.m. This has been a life-long situation. I was "freelancing" (underemployed/self-employed/UNemployed) for almost 4 yrs, until the end of April this year, when I got called for a job that is mostly 12-8pm, 2-8, 4-8 plus weekends til 6pm. I have no problem with the weekends, but here it is Aug. and I haven't been able to adjust at all. I'm trying to stick with this, cause I have to! but I had to let some of my p-t self-employment jobs go, due to the havoc this job is playing w my sleep schedule. The job I had previously for 16 yrs was 6:30am til 2:00 pm; this was great for me. For your situation, my only suggestion might be that until you know the people at this new job, you might want to cite a family scheduling problem - not a health one, when you speak with them again. I wish you the best! ldc

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I must have missed the post telling about what "disorder" you have as well as what job you were looking into and why your husband was in the car rather than in with you at the interview? :shrug:

At any rate, and don't take this the wrong way, it almost sounds to me like you are grabbing at any excuse for why you can't work. It doesn't make much sense to me that if you need the money you got the job, you just have to accept it, but the time you start and the wages are the "sticking" points.

$8.50 an hour sounds pretty good for a starting salary. Why don't you at least take the job, then if it doesn't work out, ask if your work hours can be changed. If not, keep working but put in applications elsewhere until something better comes along.

What exactly am I missing here?

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I think also that $8.50 is justification pay to commute 24 miles. That's the distance just about what I commute, or commuted into town from the 'sticks' here. Even with a less fuel efficient vehicle, the most you'll use is 2 gallons of gas or about $6 per day's worth. If as Tinknal estimates you even end up with about $50 per day take home pay, and subtract say $10 to take into account gas PLUS 'other' vehicle costs, that's $40 rather than $0 per day to have for income. Just one way of thinking about 'justifiying' if it's worth it, or not. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
During the years I had to work, I took whatever I could get when a paycheck was needed. I've started work at anywhere from 6:30 to 9:00 a.m. and my sleep habits had to adapt. When I've been tired from a demanding work day, I am asleep whenever my head hits the pillow. I know some people have sleep problems, but I'm a firm believer if the body gets tired enough, we fall asleep.

·
Unapologetically me
21,940 Posts
When i started working here, I started at 8 bucks and drove 46 miles one way. I also had to be here at 5:00 in the morning, so I was leaving home by 4:00 am.
Now I make more money because I stuck with it and moved up. I don't have to be here until 6:00 am, and I only live 20 miles away now. Also, don't forget any benefits.
Entry level pay is just that. it goes up with time and showing them you can do a good job and are dependable.

·
Administrator
21,162 Posts
When my kids were smaller and I needed a job to fill the gaps in the budget, I concluded that the best way to make good money out of a low paying job was to work as a server. I couldn't stomach drunks so bars and lounges were out of the question but most good to really good food/beverage facilities will leave you with a good cash income to supplement the poorer wages.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.