Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short- I have a job interview and I have to give a 3-5 minute presentation that is on something I enjoy-
and it a hobby-

here is what I typed up- not going to read it from the paper - but I wanted to have it written down so I could read thru it a few times and know what I was gonna say-

One of my favorite hobbies is attaining to be more self-sufficient and leave a smaller “footprint”. To become more self-sufficient, is to utilize the habits of “old” things that were done only decades ago.
I have learned to crochet; I have learned to sew with a sewing machine as well as by hand. By learning these 2 skills I can make my own dishcloths, hats, scarves and washcloths. I can also mend clothes, make clothes and quilt, not to mention make gifts for friends and family.
I have learned to can and follow the safe practices of when to use hot water bath canning and pressure canning. By having a garden and canning, I cannot remember the last time I had to purchase green beans, tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard, jam or salsa.
I have learned to dehydrate food as well, that way when we grow more potatoes, celery, green peppers or herbs that we can use and don’t want to take up freezer space… we can dehydrate and save it for use later.
I have also learned to ferment foods; I make fermented pickles, sauerkraut and other veggies. Fermenting is especially fun because it makes the food even more nutritious… it creates good bacteria that promotes good health. If you have ever seen the meds in the store over the counter touting “probiotic” that is what fermented foods have… one of the reasons I also learned to make my own yogurt.
Last winter I learned how to make my own sourdough starter so that I can make bread without yeast- just using water and flour- that is by far one of my most favorite things I have learned to make!
A lot of people I know call me a prepper or frugal, I prefer to call myself self-sufficient. I like knowing that if I am going to a baby shower in a month, I can create a one of a kind hat /blanket/bib… I like knowing that I send my husband to work every day with probiotic yogurt sweetened with our raspberry jam and homemade granola- all ingredients we can pronounce! Is it a lot of work? Yes- but I find it relaxing to prepare dinner and know that at least 75% of what we are having is something we made or grew. 2 years ago my son had a friend over and when he came in; he said “So I hear you grow your own jelly?” I thought that was hysterical… but it was then that it dawned on me that my youngest son isn’t in a grocery store enough to tell someone what brand of jelly he eats because as far as he knows – it comes from our shelves.
So- if any of you would ever want to learn how to “grow jelly” you know my contact information… my next project is to learn how to make cheese and water keifer

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ehhh- no just that I hope I don't screw this up- not that I want the job all that bad- but if I don't talk about my hobbies in the presentation- I don't know what to talk about- most of my life outside of work is consumed with learning skills- so I figure that is what I should talk about-

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
ehhh- no just that I hope I don't screw this up- not that I want the job all that bad- but if I don't talk about my hobbies in the presentation- I don't know what to talk about- most of my life outside of work is consumed with learning skills- so I figure that is what I should talk about-
Pick one hobby and elaborate on it. Don't give reasons for why you do it.

When I tell people that I garden, I talk about the love of seeing green plants poke up through the soil and the taste of a freshly picked vegetable and the beauty of the process ... I don't tell them that I do it because I suspect that any minute the false veneer of society is going to come crashing down and people will be starving in the streets.

Sometimes you got to learn to fly that freak flag a little lower. Ya know?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I've hired 1000s of people over the years and never required or wanted such a speech, but it is not a bad idea, pretty clever actually. It gets people talking about themselves and offers the opportunity for the candidate to reveal things the employer can not legally ask.

My advice, drop cliche's like "not to mention."

In my experience, people are far more likely to associate prepping with the nut jobs portrayed on TV. You don't want to be one of those. Employers generally are not going to want to hire someone deemed a gun totting, militia loving, hyper religious, nut job who is going to want to proselytize the other employees on the only proper way everyone else should lead their lives. I'm not saying you are that person, I'm just afraid that is the sort of bias you are likely to run up against.

There is a lot of research in human resources that shows that people tend to hire people like themselves. I used to have friends that ran a high tech company that had a dozen employees and most of them played racquetball very well. It is hard to believe they were hiring the best and brightest engineers they could find when they almost limited new hires to racquetball players. But Tuesday and Thursday afternoons were a lot of fun because I would meet them for 2 hours of good exercise and competition.

My recommendation is to get away from the prepper angle and get towards more of a joy of lifetime learning and taking care of your family. You can even, gently work the angle that you do these things to save money because you are careful with a dollar.

OTOH, maybe all they want is to make sure you can speak clearly and with conviction and your current speech is just fine; interviews are always a crapshoot. what sort of job is this?

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pick one hobby and elaborate on it. Don't give reasons for why you do it.

When I tell people that I garden, I talk about the love of seeing green plants poke up through the soil and the taste of a freshly picked vegetable and the beauty of the process ... I don't tell them that I do it because I suspect that any minute the false veneer of society is going to come crashing down and people will be starving in the streets.

Sometimes you got to learn to fly that freak flag a little lower. Ya know?

freak flag- LOL- I just laughed that was a good line-

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've hired 1000s of people over the years and never required or wanted such a speech, but it is not a bad idea, pretty clever actually. It gets people talking about themselves and offers the opportunity for the candidate to reveal things the employer can not legally ask.

My advice, drop cliche's like "not to mention."

In my experience, people are far more likely to associate prepping with the nut jobs portrayed on TV. You don't want to be one of those. Employers generally are not going to want to hire someone deemed a gun totting, militia loving, hyper religious, nut job who is going to want to proselytize the other employees on the only proper way everyone else should lead their lives. I'm not saying you are that person, I'm just afraid that is the sort of bias you are likely to run up against.

There is a lot of research in human resources that shows that people tend to hire people like themselves. I used to have friends that ran a high tech company that had a dozen employees and most of them played racquetball very well. It is hard to believe they were hiring the best and brightest engineers they could find when they almost limited new hires to racquetball players. But Tuesday and Thursday afternoons were a lot of fun because I would meet them for 2 hours of good exercise and competition.

My recommendation is to get away from the prepper angle and get towards more of a joy of lifetime learning and taking care of your family. You can even, gently work the angle that you do these things to save money because you are careful with a dollar.

OTOH, maybe all they want is to make sure you can speak clearly and with conviction and your current speech is just fine; interviews are always a crapshoot. what sort of job is this?
The job is in my current area- it is a same pay as I have now~ shipping software out - right now- I bill people for services- My boss asked me to bid on it- so I did-
they all know I do all these hobbies- so none of it will be a shocker to them- as most of them do some of these hobbies too-
I think that I will wing this- I might even just take a skein of yarn and a crochet hook in and give a presentation on how to make a washcloth-that might be easier-- I don't wanna burn bridges but at the same time I don't want the job that bad- I like the one I have better- and if they offer it to me- I will probably say I don't want it- but- that being said- I have to play the game and do what the boss- says- cause I am not at a point in my life where I can stay home -yet-

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
Formal presentation often falls flat because it doesn't engage the audience and seems ego-centric. A conversational approach can be more comfortable if you can establish rapport. Another tip is that scripted and pre-written work can often run long when spoken. Comedians have the short form of presentation down pretty well. Look for a few skits on YT and incorporate some of that.

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
Its kinda like a commercial....

Have you ever had homemade (homegrown) strawberry jam? Like the kind your grandmother made....with love....
Does anyone know how long it takes to establish a strawberry bed?
(talk about this topic briefly)

Next when I have a bunch of fresh berries to pick I make sure I have clean jars, lids etc...
Who knew how quick and easy jam is to make with boxed pectin? explain the first rolling boil then adding sugar and rolling boil for one more minute...jar and hot water bath...great eating yourself or giving as gifts .....and offer a sample. (hook line and sinker!)

just a quick idea....HTH and goodluck!

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all!
I had my interview- and at the last minute- decide talking about myself and what I do- might seem arrogant- so I picked my son's rare genetic eye condition Achromatopsia- since I know allllll about it- and described his condition and what it means;)

My friend is on the interview committee- I texted her after and said how bad did I suck?
she said- "I am so proud of you - you did really really great - I sat thru that thinking there is my BFF just a rockin this interview"

that made my day!

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Ernie! The sticking point will be the job I have now- during the school yr-said son with eye condition- I am permitted to take him to school and get him off the bus and then work from home because of his genetic eye condition- and being legally blind- so I start at 8:40- take a 30 min lunch and work from home until 530 pm...
summer is a different story- he stays with my oldest or my inlaws- so I work 8 to 430 in the office
if I am offered the job- I would lose money since I would need to pay for a private sitter who understands his eye condition about 400 a month- so I would need a big pay raise- to make it worth my changing jobs-
I flat out asked if this was a possibility=since the job is in my dept- they said - it isn't off the table- it might take some maneuvering but not out of the realm of possibilities...
I would take this job if I could keep my work schedule- in a heart beat-
raises are pretty unheard of- but I can not take a pay cut- not if I wanna be a housewife in 5 yrs- which is my plan

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Congratulations on a great interview speech Becka03. I'm late with this but still posting it as a possible reference for future speaking requests:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rffLyHrLqMs[/ame]

Maybe public speaking is your "something".

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
"if I am offered the job- I would lose money since I would need to pay for a private sitter who understands his eye condition about 400 a month- so I would need a big pay raise- to make it worth my changing jobs-
I flat out asked if this was a possibility"

You so have your skirt on straight! That was exactly the right time to bring it up and looks like you did it in a way that not only wouldn't tick them off but enhances your position. Nicely done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts