Job hunting problems

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I have to get a real job. I don't want a "real-real" job like I have had in the past. I don't want to earn what I was before, I don't want the responsibilities I had before and I don't want the hours I had before. I guess I want a basic sort of flunky part-time job.

So how do I handle applying when my resume is full of high-paying, major responsibility types of jobs? It is real humiliating to get rejected for a flunky job, even if their reasons are being over-qualified or whatever.

This is harder than going out in search of a "career"...at least for me. I know how to play the corporate game, but not how to get a job at Lowe's or whatever.

Thanks
    Jena

2. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Umm I lied on mine, rewrote it completely when i went from programmer/analyst to truck driver. I had a couple friends I asked to lie when called to verify it. Didnt seem to have a choice I got so tired of being overqualified it wasnt funny! Now I keep 2 different resumes depending on what I am doing.

3. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

I was in your position about 10 years ago. It is a bit tough to get people to take you seriously when you want a lesser job. Just keep trying. It worked out very well for me. So much less stress, longer vacations and just more fun. I spent years working two or three weeks a year here, a month there and maybe a half a day every week for someone else. A bunch of part time jobs can be fun. It never got boring for me. Plus, the extra money was fun!

You might want to check into Temp agencies. I still ocassionally work for one to this day. If they have something short term that may be interesting I grab it. They have many more openings than I want. I can work when and where I want, the hours that I want.

Even today, if something happened and we needed regular paychecks, I'd take a bunch of part time jobs and have fun.

For me, life is much nicer without the headaches and just knowing if I want to take off and see a movie I can.

4. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

Smile a lot!!!

Really.

Think back to your very first job interview. Honestly, getting a low paying job is sometimes even more difficult than getting a high paying one. Learn from each rejection.

Be careful, don't think that just because a job is low paying that it doesn't come with tons of stress.

Apply for the part-time jobs. Most places know when they are getting a bargin.

Good luck.

(Rose with an MA who is currently working as an LVN :D )

5. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

I agree with Patarini, you rewrite your resume, taking out any words like "management", and most of the verbs that say you were the lead in something. No action verbs. Use "cooperated", and "worked with" instead. Makes you sound like a team player instead of a leader. If you find a job you like, you will have plenty of time to show off your leadership skills. Downplay everything and take out any degrees higher than a B.S. Write it the opposite of what all the resume writers tell you. Don't sound like a slacker, but at the same time, you don't want to sound overqualified either. I wouldn't outright lie because companies are doing more extensive background checks these days, but if you sound overqualified, they think you want a lot more money or that you will get bored, and you won't get hired.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Jena, predetermine what you want to earn prior to seeking a job. Concentrate only in the areas that meet the salary scale. Search potential employment in places where there is no room for advancement but where you can get the pay you need. With no room for advancement the employer is less likely to expect an aggressive move up the ladder person but will have to have a competent and reliable new hire capable of the tasks and justifying the income. I have concluded the less that one goes into their background and the more distant you keep your personal life the better it will work. Sometimes the person doing the hiring is either envious or threatened. you will do fine :)

7. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Rewrite the resume. And, if you get caught in the rewrite (or you sound too managerial in the interview!) be prepared to answer forthrightly the question "why the heck are you applying for this job?"

I just hired a guy who is grossly overqualified for the position he took, but he was very upfront in the interview... he's made enough to retire, he retired, and now he's bored silly and looking for something to do part time that will get him out of the house and keep him active. I feel like I just got the bargain of the year.. a guy who is perfectly willing to take a low paying job because it fits with his ambitions (or lack thereof) but brings to the table this huge load of experience.

But you do need to make a plausable case for why you're 'downsizing' your job. Otherwise the assumption is that you'll either get bored and make trouble, or you'll take another job just about the time we've got you settled into this one.

8. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

You know, on your resume, there's no need to go all the way back to your first job at Burger King. Go back ten years. Dwell on the family farm business. If you were looking for a big shot position, you wouldn't be applying for a low level position. it's fine that you don't want big responsibilities anymore. In fact, many companies want someone who is reliable, trustworthy, and in a pinch can handle things, and are willing to put such a person into an entry level job rather than someone with no experience.

9. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Hi Jena,

No pithy advice. Did want to wish you luck.

Mike

10. D

D Well-Known Member

Just my two cents:
    Suck it up about the humilation. Half of the interview is the interviewer's preconception about over-qualified people. The other half is your own attitude about it. Be positive. Be honest. Don't overdress. Do your homework about what the job is really like. Have authentic questions. Don't fill every little silence with chatter. Don't act desperate. I have a Master's Degree to teach, but have also worked in shoe factory, McDonald's, chicken plant, hotel clerk, panty hose factory, convenience store, lumberyard, ... you name it (all in a tri-county area somehow). Lowe's sounds like a killer job for a homesteader type. If you get a job, earn it. Be the best chicken-plucker (or whatever) they've got. And keep your mouth shut about what you've done before to your co-workers until you've made some good friends. Who cares if you get rejected. You darn sure won't get a job if you don't try. It's an adventure, a challenge. Good luck.

11. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

A lot of the part-time staff at Lowe's and Wal-mart are folks who retired from a career and just want a little something to do to keep busy. They see it all the time. You should never lie. If they ask why you want to work there, just tell them the truth. That you have a small business of your own that you're starting and you need a little extra income.