Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
friday i submitted a decent number of applications. yesterday i got a call for an interview YAY . it was for today at 10:15am a front desk person for a small hotel.

so i go in . i think im doing a pretty good job, she then brings up my past work. and says "well we have the front desk position open, but i think id like you in housekeeping since you have experience." UGH .. i tell her i applied for second shift front desk because im looking for an afternoon job, and housekeeping is mornings. but i play along, i ask what the pay is for housekeeping.. ya know just to know my options. MIND YOU front desk is 11 an hour .. and she tells me housekeeping is 10 an hour ..

so i got called in for an interview, wanted for a different position, that pays less... for like double the work .... pretty much just wasted my gas for this trip to town... i just cant justify taking a job with that low of pay... am i being too picky !? .. i currently have a job , it pays ALMOST 12 an hour , they are just stingy with hours, and dont value their workers much...
if i wanted to be a housekeeper again, i would go back to the lodge i was working for...at least there i got a view while cleaning. nice state park, lakeside.. so pretty and peaceful.

if you read one of my previous posts , you know i have a hard time sleeping at night, staying asleep,and so on .. im not a morning person. so i need a 2nd or 3rd shift .. i got up entirely too early for this flop of a job interview... BUT we shall see if i get a call from one of the other many applications ive submitted. kinda weird how hard it is to find a decent-paying job when all the store have "help NEEDED" signs in their windows.... debating on how hard it would be to work at my local gas station... they make food , and have semi pumps... BUT they pay 14 an hour.... but ugh i hate working with food it makes me so nauseous ... ok , now that its the middle of the afternoon. its time for a nap.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
If you haven't got one, get a degree. Do the work and go to school at the same time. Many people do it.

And many people reap the rewards afterwards. Employers lurv people that take that kind of load to get

ahead.
You’re assuming the $50k piece of paper will solve her struggle. There are lots (LOTS) of people who even have the $100k version, and don’t earn as much as she does at her $12/hr part time gig.

Maybe it’s not the degree after all.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
are you in a very economically depressed area ?
my 17 year old makes more than that as the front desk person at a camp ground for the summer.

you want their job but you don't need their job , you are in a better position to say , yes I could clean but lets face it cleaning 2 shifts a say is harder physical work so I can clean but I clean for 16 an hour and I will front desk for 12. they can say no but if you don't lay it out they will never offer it.

I have cousins who cleaned at hotels and resorts for decades it really does take a toll on the body the one who did it the longest suffers very bad rheumatoid arthritis now at 61 she now works the front desk at the resort when she can work at all.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are you in a very economically depressed area ?
my 17 year old makes more than that as the front desk person at a camp ground for the summer.

you want their job but you don't need their job , you are in a better position to say , yes I could clean but lets face it cleaning 2 shifts a say is harder physical work so I can clean but I clean for 16 an hour and I will front desk for 12. they can say no but if you don't lay it out they will never offer it.

I have cousins who cleaned at hotels and resorts for decades it really does take a toll on the body the one who did it the longest suffers very bad rheumatoid arthritis now at 61 she now works the front desk at the resort when she can work at all.
i dont know if i can call it economically depressed. im in guernsey county ohio and probably about 45 minutes away from West Virginia, 2 hours from Cleveland and 2 hours from Columbus. so feels like the middle of nowhere, but could be worse. prices everywhere are going up. there are quite a few people in my area who dont seem to care at all , while a lot of us who are financially challenged savor every penny saved.
i been trying to get my current job to give me more hours since they have put me on 11 hours a week . so my paycheck (every other week) is less than $250, after tax . they keep hiring new people when they could easily just give more hours to the people who are already working there. plus i believe i know a bit more about this feild of work, then a few of the managers. but they have me stuck on the register rather than running helping customers find stuff their looking for .. instead they send a 18 y/o to guess where the items are.

i could do a cleaning job , but i could find a housekeeping job with far better pay. and if i do a cleaning job , i want the night attendant job. or laundry. i worked housekeeping before and it wrecked my knees and back so trying to avoid that if i can. even asked this hotel if they had a laundry position, or night runner for housekeeping, they told me yes. but didn't seem to interested in wanting to offer it to me.... hmm .. i mean again .. not really worth it for 10 an hour.. but gotta ask at least.

im 27 , so im not so young that i feel the need to take any job that comes my way , but im not old enough to demand the best-paying job out there.i own my home. i just want a job that will pay my yearly bills, food on the table and food in the bowls for the animals, and a little fun money. i honestly would be very comfortable living on 12k-15k a year. im currently living on less than 7k a year. im also one of the few people my age in this area who can legit pass a drug test..... we been having issue with drug users in the past few years since people have nothing better to do with their time...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you haven't got one, get a degree. Do the work and go to school at the same time. Many people do it.

And many people reap the rewards afterwards. Employers lurv people that take that kind of load to get

ahead.
i dont have one, and if i got one , finding a job would still be a struggle, and then id have debt to pay off as well.. not a good idea for my situation. maybe for people in bigger areas. but even when people have that fancy degree , they still end up with minimum wage jobs because they cant get hired, because the employer dont want to pay for that the person is worth. again in my area that is.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You’re assuming the $50k piece of paper will solve her struggle. There are lots (LOTS) of people who even have the $100k version, and don’t earn as much as she does at her $12/hr part time gig.

Maybe it’s not the degree after all.
Something that must pass right over your head. Job satisfaction Talked to many a contract engineering hr types.

And they say emphatically that employers key in on degrees. Some are required by the government . Especially

aerospace. Other degrees, accounting, i.t. nobbys...sparkys, well maybe not sparkys. Electrical eng is another

degree companies covet. And it doesn't have to be a bachelor of science...two year degrees used to be pretty

lucrative too. :cool:

·
Registered
40,934 Posts
Consider the fact you work part time. That gives you time to start a business. What if you cleaned houses for pay? So many folks today want someone to come in and work four or five hours vacuuming, etc. Look around and see what others charge.

• Love
Reactions: Digitalis

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Consider the fact you work part time. That gives you time to start a business. What if you cleaned houses for pay? So many folks today want someone to come in and work four or five hours vacuuming, etc. Look around and see what others charge.

i did house sitting and in home cleaning for a while when i was 18, house sitting was fun , since normally they had animals that needed cared for. and i use to go over to a lady's house once a week to clean it top to bottom for her since she had very limited mobility. shes no longer here. but id always leave with some kinda sweet when i left her place.

i been trying to work on my art a bit so i can sell that . but hasn't really gone anywhere, since art is a luxury item and not a necessity. i still enjoy doing it. also been wanting to learn to knit or crochet or make quilts.. but haven't had the spare time to pick up a new "hobby" to learn to be able to make money on it.

ive even tossed around the idea of a pet sitter for when people go on vacation and such. but i have a yard full of animals myself, and i dont entirely trust other animals not to hurt mine... id be limited for 3 to 5 dogs depending on their size and such.

got a bunch of Amish around, so i could do Amish taxi, but i been told not to do that, because they will mess my car up with muddy boots and such, and they dont really pay well ...

landscaping and yard work is another ive took interest in , but my pasty white Irish butt fries in the sun if im out there for longer than 10 minutes at a time.. too bad nighttime mowing is frowned upon...

ill find something eventually. i just got to keep my thinking cap on.

·
Registered
14,883 Posts
There may be money for PooperTrooper in writing a book.

In all seriousness, my wife used to work the farmer's market on Saturdays a few years ago. There was a woman there who claimed she made $480 a month in SSI, and another similar amount for her disabled son. Now, she of course lived like it, but she didn't complain and she didn't have her hand out.
She made her $50 selling tomatoes and turnips every weekend and she went home.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I don't know how rural you are, but I know around here there are a lot of openings for grocery store/big box store night shift stockers. Chain grocery stores tend to pay pretty well in general. Big box stores are usually not terrible (minimum wage is different here, just talking generally).

Throwing out another idea.

·
Registered
40,934 Posts
I do not know the licenses requirements for your state for elder care. Many folks need someone to come in do light cleaning, cook a couple of meals and provide conversation.

Reactions: link30240

·
Registered
14,883 Posts
Senior assist jobs are plentiful.
The problem is that entry level pay is very low. The health care providers that hire in our area are trigger happy to fire anyone that has a complaint against them. In other words, you may be a fine care giver, but if crazy Lou says you went thru his junk drawer or you were innappropriate, you are fired no ifs ands or buts.
A woman I know has worked in the field for a long time, but has only one individual she cares for, and they get along well.

·
Registered
40,934 Posts
Senior assist jobs are plentiful.
The problem is that entry level pay is very low. The health care providers that hire in our area are trigger happy to fire anyone that has a complaint against them. In other words, you may be a fine care giver, but if crazy Lou says you went thru his junk drawer or you were innappropriate, you are fired no ifs ands or buts.
A woman I know has worked in the field for a long time, but has only one individual she cares for, and they get along well.
I was talking about working for one's self. I would never suggest working for leaching things

1 - 20 of 76 Posts