Job advice for agoraphobic friend

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TEXKAT, Apr 12, 2006.

1. TEXKAT

TEXKAT Well-Known Member

I recently found out that one of my neighbors is dealing with some hard times. He works in town full-time, but his wife is an agoraphobic (can't leave the house or yard) and money is really tight. They have a garden and chickens so food is not a problem. Money for bills is. They don't have phone, so no internet service.

What kind of jobs would be suitable for her to do?

I suggested she start sewing or doing crafts and I could sell them for her at the local market days...but that's only once a month.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

2. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

She might qualify for the meds for that for free. I had a friend in ND been housebound for years. Social services decided to pay for the med and she was out and working in less than 3 months.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Maybe she would be interested in starter plants? This being spring and all.

4. greenbean

greenbean Well-Known Member

My Mother had Agoraphobia. Couldn't leave the house for 36 years, until she finally went to the Doctor. He prescribed Paxil, and she was cured in 2 weeks. Just has to take her meds daily. Her regret was she didn't go to the Doc long , long before.

5. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Besides the good advice you have already received (..get the conditon treated!)there is a Agoraphobia Forum and support group online.

http://humanbloom.11.forumer.com/

I am thinking that getting the friend a little basic computer might help tremendously and give her a link with others in the same boat. There is no lack of ideas and support on these forums. Is there a way to take a laptop to her and get her started or stay there for a couple of hours and get online for her? Then you can type in the questions and you both can read the answers. Just musing here.

Once a person is treated for this condition they can attend small meetings with others who have the same problem too if a computer is out of the question.

I wish her the best and I think you are a good friend to ask about help and ideas for her.

LQ

6. TEXKAT

TEXKAT Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for these kind-hearted ideas!

Yeah, I guess y'all are right...getting the phobia treated should be first on the list. I was concentrating on the money (lack of) part too much.

Getting her a simple computer setup might be hard though. But if she could get better enough to atleast come to my house (about 1 mile away), she could use the internet.

If she DOES start using the internet...what jobs (or income source) would be good for a beginner?

7. ttryin

ttryin Well-Known Member

Hello,

I just want to say that there are people who stay close to home and maybe don't need to be diagnosed with a "disease."

Our family had a farmer, who farmed with his brother, and left home once or twice after finishing secondary school--except for church and manicuring the cemetary there. He died in his 90s and remembering him still brings tears to my eyes. He was kind and gentle with clear eyes. He listened carefully and spoke seldom, when the family had visitors. He loved his animals and tending his crops. He was a devoted dairy farmer from a large family.

I write this because today medication would perhaps be recommended and our family's special person could have become someone else. He was a simple, good man with real intelligence. His brother loved going to town and shopped for the farm, so it all worked out.

Does the person you wrote about love the land and love staying home?

Thanks for reading another experience .... T

8. TEXKAT

TEXKAT Well-Known Member

ttryin ~ Yes, she loves being home...she's a very upbeat, happy person who enjoys her garden and of course those chickens. : ) Thanks for sharing a lovely story.

9. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that very important perspective. Life nowadays has become so complicated and fast-paced that reclusiveness may be a pretty reasonable response. When it stands in the way of a person's happiness, it makes sense to explore the possibility of medication, but otherwise I have no need to call it pathology.

10. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

In the back of Carla Emory's book, there is a list of homesteading magazines. She could write an article and mail it out. Countryside may not pay in cash for articles, but many magazines do.

11. Maggie

Maggie Well-Known Member Supporter

ttryin, AMEN!! What a wonderful post :clap: . Have a great day, Maggie

12. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

If you can get her a computer, she can get a job for a few companies working at home. The only problem, she'll need some start up money to get the equipment needed, besides the computer. There are a few members who do this type of work on this site.

The job is taking orders for companies over the computer, such as "Home Shopping Network", Sears, catalog online orders, etc. Do a search for "Live Op". Or you could post this in the Family forum, that's where most of the members who do this type of work frequent the most.

13. ozarkcat

ozarkcat Well-Known Member

As far as getting her into a basic computer, have you tried freecycle.org and hooking up with a group in your area? I've seen computers go across our local group on a fairly regular basis.

14. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Has this lady applied for and/or does she receive Social Security Disability?? She certainly sounds like she would be eligible -- part of the definition (last time I checked) for disability benefits read something like: " A condition which has disabled, or is expected to disable for at least one year . . . " I expect another $800 to $1,000 a month might help them out.

There might be a few drawbacks to this, however. One is that the working spouse's income may be limited, or the disabled spouse's benefits reduced if the working spouse makes too much. Also if she qualifies for Medicare or Medicaid of some sort, the spouse making "too much" can also either reduce or eliminate that qualification. Still, it might be worth looking into, depending on how much her DH makes, whether she is covered already under his health insurance, and how much she would get if he keeps working at the rate he is currently working at. Would take someone knowledgeable in the field -- doctor? lawyer? social worker? someone from Soc. Sec.? -- to figure it out for them.

Good luck!

MaryNY

15. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

With agoraphobia, you don't "just love to stay home". You CANNOT leave, usually because it brings on monster panic attacks. Big difference. HomeLOVERS don't need meds, but it is just silly to suffer panic attacks, fear, and a limited life when meds simply restore proper balance of brain chemicals. Nobody says "he's a diabetic but we don't want him to change."

16. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

This is a hard one, since many of the more obvious things are excluded..can't babysit, since if an emergency arose, she'd be unable to take the child for assiistance, etc.
    The only ideas I can come up with involve people coming to her..although I have no idea what skills she has..
    dog grooming, hairdressing, taking in laundry, ironing, seamstress work, hmmm, dog obedience training, painting or sewing classes..

I've lived in some very rural areas, and someone always had one of those classes going on..

Sure hope that she finds something..