Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a Jinmar 254 tractor for sale down the road. It is 4WD, has a front end loader and a snowblower. Looks like a 3 cylinder diesel. They are asking $1400/BO. Assuming it runs well is this a good deal? What are the downsides of these little tractors?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Check on some of the tractor boards. There have been many complaints on those boards about poor quality materials and workmanship, unavailability of parts, unavailability of service and an unreliable dealer network. However, if you're mechanically handy, you might make out good with it expecially for that price.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Yanmar has been around for many a year. They are small and won't do much work but for the price it will get a tractor for you to drive and do most things. It will probily use most 4 ft implements but at a slow speed. Some of them are prety good but some of them are lemons. If I had one I would stock parts instead of trying to find them. They are not like a John Deer or Kubota that have a delar that works on them. Some of the parts are of such quality that I would make my own instead of buying them. But for the price you won't be hurt if you buy it.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,709 Posts
Old Vet said:
Yanmar has been around for many a year. They are small and won't do much work but for the price it will get a tractor for you to drive and do most things. It will probily use most 4 ft implements but at a slow speed. Some of them are prety good but some of them are lemons. If I had one I would stock parts instead of trying to find them. They are not like a John Deer or Kubota that have a delar that works on them. Some of the parts are of such quality that I would make my own instead of buying them. But for the price you won't be hurt if you buy it.
Yanmar is a Japanese tractor.

Jinma is a Chinese tractor

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
I got news for ya . . .Yanmar makes a good share of the smaller John Deere "yard" size tractors.

Its got to be pretty good quality stuff for John to put their green on it.
Those three cylinder diesel engines are great.

On The Other Hand . . . . . . . . .

If it is a Jinma or one of those china clones . . . .buyer beware.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Jinma is one that I have not sen around here. I was under the impresion that they spelled the name wrong. If if that is the case then beware of it. Chinia is bad to put things out that is junk. I would probily pay about $700 t0 $800 for it but I doubt that you can get parts for it unless you wait for a long time for it. You heard about the slow boat from china?

·
Registered
940 Posts
are you sure the 1400 is correct for a small tractor, 4wd with a loader?
I would buy it.. Heck if you use it twice you got your moneys worth.
I am in the process of rebuilding my 2 cylinder 31 horse diesel tractor. and I have over that in the engine alone..
So if it runs and operates I would be on that like a duck on a June bug.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That would be tempting to buy, but an older American iron would last a lot longer for a little more money, and in most instances you wouldn't need 4wd.

·
Registered
185 Posts
There is a Jinma tractor dealership near us, and a parts wharehouse in Eau Claire, WI, the guy near us is selling them on a regular basis, and has great follow-up on the the units sold, many times selling 5/week.

I've talked to a few of the people who've purchased from him and all are quite satisfied and would buy the product from him again.

We also have Kubota, NewHolland, John Deere dealers around and the Jinma dealer has been in business for over 10 years with no sign of slowing down.

The 254 is a good unit, and with those attachments I would expect a price of closer to $8-10K , are you sure the sale price isn't $14,000.?

One more thing, Jinma's are easy to work on if need be, and will handle any Class 1 three point attachment. If it has a Koyker loader, you can pick up round bales with a good counter weight on the back.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
wdchuck said:
There is a Jinma tractor dealership near us, and a parts warehouse in Eau Claire, WI, the guy near us is selling them on a regular basis, and has great follow-up on the the units sold, many times selling 5/week..
The guy that has the warehouse in Eau Claire,, Is he working the warehouse out of Banbary Place in Eau Claire??

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ericjeeper said:
are you sure the 1400 is correct for a small tractor, 4wd with a loader?
I would buy it.. Heck if you use it twice you got your moneys worth.
I am in the process of rebuilding my 2 cylinder 31 horse diesel tractor. and I have over that in the engine alone..
So if it runs and operates I would be on that like a duck on a June bug.
You nailed it! LOL
The entire unit was by the road with a plywood sign that said $1400.
This morning I stop by and a paper note hat been attached to the sign saying "Blower Only" :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts