Jet water pump

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Rob30, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a jet pump in the barn. Every time it looses prime, freezes, runs out of water, it is a son of a gun to get going again. The biggest problem is I don't have big enough cable going to the barn, or a big enough breaker. It ws wired when I bought the place.
    Anyway when running normally I have no problems. When priming the pump however the pump always gos through an extended time where it starts and stops quickly, and repeatedly. this usually trips the breaker in the house, which is a long enough distance from the barn. Especially in winter when I have heat tapes on some pipes, heat lamps on the pump, as well as baby goats, pigs etc.
    Is there a way of getting the air out of the system better?

2. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

It's losing its prime because the footer valve is leaking. Fix that and you don't need to reprime.

Otherwise, refilling with a water jug at the pump is the way to go. You can do it manually with a wrench and plug, or get semi-fancy and use a can and valve.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The reason for the rapid off/on is more typical of a water logged tank. If the foot valve was leaking the foot valve would have to leak a lot prior to the pressure switch cutting back in provided the storage tank was functioning properly. Is this a bladder designed storage tank or one of the old galvanized tanks with a schrader valve in the top?

4. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I think it is the tank. The foot valve does not leak. Because the pump can be off for days, then starts up no problem.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

A bladder tank is a major improvment for a jet pump. The tank will take care of lots of little problems in the system. In a non-bladder tank you want more air in the tank, not less!