Jerusalem artichokes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Charleen, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We have these planted in our garden for the first time. We plan on using them to supplement the feed for the pigs & goats.
    Do we hill them up like we do potatoes?
    Do we harvest them after the plant dies back like we do potatoes also?
    Will they store well in a root cellar so we can plant them again next spring? Or should we buy new tubers again?

Thanks

2. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

Plant them & watch them grow...! Don't hill up or dig them in the fall...If you want some for consumption they can be stored in the frig for a week or so,but are best dug when needed right out of the planting area...or in the case of pigs have the pigs harvest by penning the area..they spread in their patch if they are happy so you will have them year after year...Will be hard to get rid of if that becomes necessary..smallest tuber will grow..they are so tall you need to watch where they may shade other planting, but otherwize are very trouble free & taste very good..! GrannieD

3. You just about said it all, GrannieD! I bought 4 little pieces at Wal Mart 2 years ago & planted them & now about 1/8 th of my garden is covered with them !! I might get a pig & put it there for the winter.....

4. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh Charleen,
    DO NOT plant them in your garden as you'll be grubbing them out for years. :no: I planted them outside my henyard where they provide great shade for the girls and I never have to replant them because as someone else said, you can't ever get all the little tubers that stay in the ground when you dig them in the fall. You can keep them contained if you plant them in an area where you can mow around them all summer and they have pretty sunflower-like flowers in late summer. At least that's how they behave here and I'm in zone4/5.
    Mickey

5. Mickey,

Jerusalem artichokes are in the same family as sunflowers (hence the sunflower-like flowers). They are a sunflower that is used for the root.

6. dla

dla Well-Known Member

I'm in Maryland. Ours have been blooming, and are ready to dig up now (in fact we will eat some for dinner tonite).
    Planting them around the chicken house is a great idea,Mickey!

7. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

We don't eat them dla, but they provide lots of shade for the hens and they add lots of color late in the season. We just keep the area mowed alongside them so they don't "take over" the yard ;)
    Mickey

8. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

This is our first year planting them. They are about 10 feet tall, wow.

Question I have is, can pigs eat the tops? I assume they should be alright since I have read about planting them in a lot for pigs and turning them in to root them up. Reason for asking is I threw some to my feeders and the next day one of them was sick, she got over it but I was wondering if it was the Jerusalem artichokes, she has never been sick before/after. Thanks.

9. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Well I don't know about pigs firsthand, but our horses ate every last bit of the flowers, stems, leaves and all and don't seem any worse for the wear.
    BTW, dear hubby liked the chokes, but it was rather a lot of digging for one meal.....