Jersey's Tongue Having Spasm?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JElfering, Apr 30, 2006.

1. JElfering

JElfering Dairy Dreamer

I posted with the milk fever and pneumonia earlier. Today, Sunday my 2yr old heifer who just calved a month ago and is being treated for pneumonia had an episode with her tongue going spastic. Her eyes looked glazed. The calf was nursing. The calf (1 month old) does not stay with her heifer mom fulltime. We let her nurse every 2-3 hours. We are down on room and had to give the larger pens to the newer mommys.

There are no fluids from her nose or eyes. She did this one other time, the night before she was diagnosed with pneumonia. We have had her on antibiotic. Her last dose was delayed three hours because DH bent the needle and had to run to a farm after church to get some.

I don't know her temp, DH is out getting a new thermometer, 4H child broke the other one. Her last dose of anitobiotic is tomorrow morning. She is eating and drinking and standing up. It looked like she couldn't control the tongue movement. We are checking the ladies and their babies every hour.

Is this related to the pneumonia or is something else going on?
    Thanks for you help, yet again!

2. JSIA

JSIA Active Member

If we're thinking of the same thing she's probably just playing with her tongue. Our brown swiss do it from time to time (they're kind of goofy). We had a cow that used to click her tongue during milking and after milking. However, she hasn't done it since we dried her up and freshened. I've seen one of my holsteins do it but not often. Hopefully she's just bored and playing. I don't think it wouldbe seizures but not sure.

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Think I'd do a follow up PHONE CALL to attending vet and ask his/her opinion.
    They may know if reaction to medicine or related, or if you should be concerned.

4. JElfering

JElfering Dairy Dreamer

I called the vet right after I posted. She thought it might just be a piece of hay she got stuck. However, she did point out that it could be keotosis and recommended a fortified drink, I forgot the name. After further discussion, she said to watch her and make sure she is passing manure and still eating and drinking and to hold off on this drink for now.

She also said it would be unlikely it was a twisted stomach at this point. The antibiotics shouldn't cause this tongue thing. For the most part she felt it was nothing to worry about.

I need to take her temp when DH gets back and watch her milk production tonight. She only gave 2# last night but it was crazy and her calf was with her just two hours prior to milking. The calf was on her now (2:00 p.m.)and we plan to milk at 7:00 pm.

Thanks for the input, I'll keep you posted.

5. JElfering

JElfering Dairy Dreamer

She gave 12# of milk this evening! She is doing so much better!
    Thanks for the replies.

6. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Sounds like she was bored. Our red holstein did it, and another heifer. Ketosis is funny, and they tend to not be aware enough to be moving their tongue around like that. They tend to smack their lips as if they are chewing gum, and it is a sucking smack. They also do not respond to ANYTHING. Production drops off quick, and they start to do things that cant be explained. They loose their bearings, and you could literally wack them, and they would not be fazed, or remember. They act rabbid actually. The drench is called Propylene Glycol, and it works really well.

When that Jersey of ours freshened, she peaked at 52lbs day, and then she dropped from 20-25lbs milking (20lbs morning, 20lbs night etc) to 5 one day, actually less. Thats when the ketosis really showed up. There are also niacin boluses you can give them.

Jeff