Jerseys for sale

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Judy in IN, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

I saw this ad while surfing today. It seemed like a great deal!

JERSEY COWS
    (2), young, currently in milk, $300 each Warrensburg, NY (518) 623-3372

2. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

WHY WHY OH WHY arent they in Texas???? I have NEVER seen such a great deal!!! I'm thinking this would HAVE to be a typo!!! (or someone is going through a divorce!!!) Either way WOW!!!!

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Hmm, close to me, but no use for me! The cost of getting them to Texas would tend to lean you back towards looking closer and paying $$$.

I would wonder why $300, and how old are they. No real dairys that I know of in Warrensburg, must be someones pets or similar.

Jeff

4. Petsguy

Petsguy Well-Known Member

I wish they were closer to me too. I am in IL and am looking for a nice jersey to add to our hobby farm/petting zoo. Maybe I'll find one some day. :)

Take Care,
    Jeff Port
    Smallville Miniatures and Exotics
    Peoria, IL

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

It is a terrific price and that would tend to make me wary. Not that it couldn't be a real deal, but one has to be extremely careful when the deal is "to good to be true". A couple years back there was an ad in the paper for a Jersey milker, 3 years old, with two 4 month old Angus/Jersey calves that she was fostering, one hiefer, one bull. The package deal was $500.00. I jumped at the chance to go look at her. I got there and found the owner. She told me that the cow was a great milker and healthy, but that she had gotten out in a patch of blackberries and scratched her udder up that morning. So I went into the stall to look at her and the calves. The cow was a wreck. Every bone was jutting through the skin, she had white snot running out her nose, pus globs matting her eyes, udder almost literally dragging the ground, scours all over her and the stall. The "scratches" on her udder were freely bleeding, large cuts, not scratches. I live in blackberry country and have never seen a blackberry that could do that, but I did see a pile of scrap metal out in the cow's pasture.......
    The calves were the height of newborn calves and were so stunted and wormy that they were wider than they were tall with scruffy hair.
    I felt so sorry for her. If I hadn't had my herd at home to think of I *might* have considered bringing the poor girl home and seeing if I could do something with her, but no way. I'm betting she was in the latter stages of Johnes disease, and who knows what else. Poor cow........ :(
    So anyway, make sure you don't ever tell the person you'll buy over the phone before you see them. And that is just one of the reasons that really low prices make alarm bells sound off. Then again, it may just be a really good deal. :clap:
    Then there was the time I spoke for the "clean, bright, no dust wheat straw" over the phone and lived to regret it.....Can we say MOLD, DIRT, AND WEEDS??? Some people are just amazing.....Did he really think his claims would stand up to inspection?? :eek:

6. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Funny how some people try to sell the brooklyn bridge! What sucks with the hay buisness is what ozark said. People get the same impression when you tell them "it is good hay", they get wary because there are people who say "its good hay", and it is far from good hay. It sucks that people out there do tarnish peoples trust, but thats life.

Jeff

7. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Sadly, the reason some people "keep trying to sell the Brooklyn bridge" is because every once in a while some damn fool comes along and "buys"it. The old saying about one being born every minute is still true.