Jersey winter coats

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by heinola honey, Dec 7, 2005.

1. heinola honey

heinola honey Well-Known Member

Does anyone here have jerseys whos coats turn a almost comlpetely different color in the winter?
    I have one little calf that was really red when we got him but now he is almost a cocoa color...is that normal?
    Ruth

2. spinnDrSandy

spinnDrSandy Active Member

We have both a jersey cow and bull. The bull has definitely changed colors since he was tiny. This is his first winter and he is 13 months old. His color has changed from a red to a black mane, red body, and light fawn down his back. His face is dark with light fawn around his eyes and red on top of his head. He is really beautiful! Both the cow and the bull have longer hair now and I am guess that it is because it is winter. She has not changed color as much as the bull. She is still red with light fawn around the eyes and nose.

3. a1cowmilker

a1cowmilker Well-Known Member

Yes, as I look at her she has a longer coat and it is darker. It will fall off in the spring pretty quickly. I am glad she has it, we do not have a shelter for her other than pretty thick woods.

4. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

Where did you get your Jerseys? I'm in Dinwiddie County, VA and I'd like to have a Jersey cow, too. I don't know where to buy one.

A friend in Colorado sent me a picture of her Jersey in both winter and summer coats. It doesn't look like the same cow. She's a different color.

Genebo
    Paradise Farm

5. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

My Jersey's have darker hair in the winter. I have a Gurnsey heifer that has not changed but the hair is longer for winter. Sorry my black Dexter's are still black.
    Have a great day. Jim

6. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

We have new neighbors (10 miles) who moved down from western VA. They have a registered jersey and a holstein they purchased from a Canadian liquidation sale up in PA. The holstein was purchased as an adult, but the jersey was a calf born on the trip down.

I understand your problem. I drove 2 hours to get mine. The people I bought her from drove 8 hours to get her from a man who raised her on the TN/NC border. They had a neighbor who drove to PA for one. They're not to many in our area.

Good luck.