Jersey or ? in SW Oregon?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Happyfarmwife, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Happyfarmwife

Happyfarmwife Well-Known Member

Just thought I would check and see if any one has a Jersey or other smaller milk breed for sale in my area. We would even buy a heifer calf if there aren't any older ones available.

Where I live in Coquille Oregon right now, I look right out my window and watch 3 Jersey heifers in the field next to me. My neighbor won't sell any of them. He has a big dairy with Holsteins and Jerseys and other mixed breeds. He doesn't take good care of them either, as they are kept in a pen all winter with manure up to their bellies, then turns them lose on the pastures in the Spring, which just gives them the runs. These little heifers are all so skinny thier ribs are showing. (Sorry about the vent!)

Anyway, I would love to get that family milk cow one of these days.

2. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Hey there;
    I am in in SW Washington, I'm looking too. I would love a nice Jersey family milk cow. So far, no luck.
    I'm willing to travel a bit for one. The problem is, I don't have $2000 to spend on a cow. I'd be willing to set up a trade with someone for part of the money.
    We have goats, pork fresh from the butchers, free range organic eggs & chickens, and rabbits.

Anyone????

3. Crystal H

Crystal H Well-Known Member

There were afew advertised here in Tillamook. Lot's of dairies, maybe call around ?

Crystal

4. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

I found a couple in the Tillamook area. They started at around $1600, way out of my price range.

5. Happyfarmwife

Were those calves or bred cows? Because that is pretty spendy!

6. Happyfarmwife

Thanks for the suggestion Crystal. I think I will buy a copy of Capitol Press and see what I can find in there.

7. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

A gal I work with has 3 Dexters for sale. A cow/heifer calf and a heifer. I believe she's asking 800 apiece . They all have horns, they are small ,homeowner type. If you'd like her contact info Pm me.
    She's near Kent, WA, north of Tacoma WA, but southeast of Seattle.

Susie
    edit: Ha ha I see Tina posted already-- see tina98051's post below :)

8. Happyfarmwife

Thanks for the information Susie. The price is better but the breed isn't what my husband wants. Thanks alot though.