Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 20 month old jersey heiffer that has milk, pinkish sticky milk like colostrum. I noticed she had been making a bag for the past 3 weeks, so i thought she was just maturing, but nope she has milk, no calf! she might have been exposed last year because i had a 9 month old jersey bull in with her but he died last november...so if she would have been bred november would have been the last time she was with a bull...until this june (27th) I haven't ever really noticed her bulling, but the bull we put in there bred her on the 26th of july, she had been making a bag before he bred her, and she had long thick stringy mucus off and on for the last 3 weeks(before he bred her) with bright red stringy mucus blood stuff, like she is gonna have a calf...i check her about every 5 hours or so during the day (still mucus) and every 2-3 hours at night (still mucus) she looks a bit like she's springing, but i see her so much i can't tell a difference, i dunno i hate to have the vet come out to preg her, it costs so much...but why does she have milk, mucus, (and she is wanting scratched way too much these last few weeks) I thought maybe she had slipped a calf but i looked all over and she is only on 10 acres, and i watch her constantly, she has never walked around with an arched tail like she is getting ready, or slipped a calf...i don't know i'm gonna start calling her crazy katie! and can you feel a calf moving around like you cana horse? or maybe i'm feeling guts! any suggestions would be really helpful!

·
Registered
112 Posts
So you know the color of the milk b/c you've milked her to check or is it streaming out? Check her udder to make sure it isn't mastitis, hot, hard ect... If her udder is fine then leave it so you don't introduce bacteria.

It does sound like she is due to calve soon.

The stringy mucous that is blood tinged has just started?

Is there an odor? If an odor, she could very well need a vet and quick.
The calf could have died and she can't expel it.

10 acres is alot of space for her to miscarry in or calve and you wouldn't necessarily know (you do sleep right?)

If you go to www.familycow.proboards32.com in the Tree of Knowledge section there is a good description of how to bump a calf and with pics.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the milk is pinkish, she isn't sick like she has a dead calf in her, she is fine very energetic, like usual (onry) , it's not mastitis, udder is firm not hot, the goo is clearish-to cloudy...then also i forgot to mention, for the past week or so, when she pees she turns around and laps it up like there is amnionic fluid in it...she isn't sick at all and definately no fowl odor...i am gonna check that link on bumping...i have tried but she doesn't like that at all i can do anything else to her but that...maybe she does have a calf in her i thought i felt something...and as far as sleeping for the past three weeks i have been checking her at night every 2-3 hours...yeah it's rough! did it last january for the angus heifers, it was horrible...i just want to make sure i don't miss anything if the does have a calf, the cut off date for her is last week in august...I wish i could take pics and show you all...anyother suggestions? thank you so much

·
Banned
12,448 Posts
Lots of places for a calf to be in ten acres. I once lost a 2000lb bull in ten acres. Stayed lost for 5 days. I walked it several times a day and never found him until he decided to come to the barn.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, good luck and keep us posted. Don't wear yourself out not getting sleep.
When the calf gets in position towards the end, momma will look skinnier. It'll make you do a double take and think hey you were fatter yesterday!

If you are planning on milking her it is a good time to introduce her and yourself to your future routine. Walking her to where you will milk, going through the motions, ect.... It can help both of you be ready for your future "job".

There is also on the family cow site some pics showing the relaxation of the ligaments before calving. Not always dependable but something to look for.

·
Udderly Happy!
2,866 Posts
Hey everybody, I'm having exactly the same thing going on right now with a sixteen month old heifer that has never been in the same pasture with a bull. I went as far as having the vet preg check her and she's open. I"ve noticed her bulling for a few months. The vet just shook his head and said, "I'm not sure on this one".

·
Seeking Type
2,102 Posts
We have a holstein that started to milk out of one quarter here back in June or so. It doesn't appear to be from sucking, etc. Just one quarter. It is milk, no other color, or even odor. The vet said to us, milk the quarter out, then dry treat it. I hope her udder isn't ruined, and no this one holstein isn't bred. Hopefully she is now, but she wasn't bagging because of being due. She didn't bag actually, just one strange quarter.

Jeff

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh i tell ya, it seems like she is and then it seems like she isn't! i tried the belly bumping she doesn't like it at all! only on the right side, i can do anything else to her, but she doesn't like the bumping, so i watched her this morning at the feed bunk, (and last night at 2am) it looks like the right side goes normal then a bump, then normal then a bump, can that be her guts or is it a baby squirming around? i have stood beside her and felt the bump come and go, heck i dunno! all i know is she is still sucking her pee up! and curling her nose, but goes right back to it like there is amnionic fluid in it...or maybe she's practicing!LOLthank you all so much, i just got in from rolling up some brome, on the roughest place i've ever been on! i think i'll check on crazy katie and go to sleep(hopefully)! i do appreciate you all for advice and i'll kepp up on it, she still has the goo also! g'nite for now!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Get ya a sleeve and just check her, that's the easiest way to know for sure. Or find someone around you who've checked cows before if you're not sure. Or just call the vet.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, i am going to check her tonight, i'm tired of wondering! i have preg checked heifers before, but they were angus...didn't hurt them, cause they were bigger, hope it doesn't hurt her and she takes it out on me cause i'll be the one milking her later on! my husband tells me not to worry, and fret about it, if she is bred it is to a jersey bull and they have small calves..but i tell him, they can still have problems too! what can happen....usually happens around here! thanks you all... i'll let ya know tonight if she is or isn't!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts