Jersey Heifer

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by TSYORK, Mar 25, 2006.

1. TSYORK

TSYORK Jhn Boy ina D Trump world

I'm in NC, and was wanting to look into getting a Jersey heifer calf. How much should I anticipate paying for this... I want to breed for calves.

2. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

Our last heifer had a great bloodline...and was registered...we got $1800 for her at 10 months...MissKitty

3. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

Jersey heifer calves are $500 at 30 days from the dairies around here, typically I see them for 900-1000 at breeding age. We're in SE Texas.

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

The price will depend heavily on their bloodline. For instance, where we bought ours had them from 500-2000 for 2 month old heifers. The $500-$600 heifers we bought didn't have the bloodlines that one 2000 heifer had that they had. We didn't buy her, but in a round about way, kinda sorta wish we did. Was a "spunkyline" family.

Jeff

5. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

At the current market prices, I wonder if a person might be better off buying a bred heifer or springing heifer. There is mortality risk starting out with a calf, and then the expense of feeding for 2 years, and possibly expense or difficulty of getting her bred, depending on your situation. A larger initial cash outlay, of course, but I wonder which you come out better? Any thoughts on the two options Jeff? Or anyone?

6. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

I have eight Jersey heifers from one year to two years old. Open year old heifers sell for $900.00 each and bred heifers sell fron $1200.00 to $1600.00 each. That should give you idea of what their selling for. Yes you can find a good deal now and then for less.

Hope this helps. Jim

7. Donna from Mo

Donna from Mo Well-Known Member

Would you have a yearling heifer in October that you would sell for that price? I'm in Missouri.

8. Rickydink

Rickydink Retired Navy Homesteader

I paid $250 for a 3 day old Guernsey/Jersey a year ago from a local dairy farm here in western NC.

9. TSYORK

TSYORK Jhn Boy ina D Trump world

Where in Western NC are you, I'm in Western NC.... I would love to find a deal like that, do you know if they are still making those kinds of deals?

10. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Personally a bred heifer would make life easier, cost less, because your not raising it from a calf. The advantage to getting a calf is it would know you from a youngen, however most heifers will adapt, and become a "pet" after some work, mostly gaining its trust. Then there are the ones from a farm where they are all friendly, that makes things go easier. So lets weigh what you gain from a bred heifer, to a calf.

Pros for both <>
    Calf: The pride to raise it up to breeding age
    Bred Heifer: Don't have to worry about its first breeding.
    Calf: It knows you, and usually calves adapt faster
    Bred Heifer: Less money spent
    Calf: You select what to breed it to at time of breeding.
    Bred Heifer: You can see what the animal looks like, more or less can see its strength and weaknesses

Cons for both <>
    Calf: Risk for it getting sick, from either transporting, or otherwise
    Calf: Cost, milk replacer, grain, and more time out of your day.
    Bred Heifer: Can't choose who to breed to, if already bred
    Bred Heifer: Will cost you more at the time of buying it ($500 for a calf, $1500 or so for a bred heifer).
    Calf:Can't see how it turns out when it gets older

Can't think of anything else. But what I mean by what it looks like. As a calf, most calves do look the same. As the animal gets older, its body changes. Its rump changes, its topline, its feet and legs, etc. As a bred heifer, you can see these changes as is, there won't be speculation, perhaps a calf has some weak loins, or perhaps will end up with bad feet. As a bred heifer, or alteast a heifer older (year or so), You can get a good idea. If I were to buy heifers, I would tend to stick with yearlings, for the reason I mentioned, also cost. The Jerseys we bought were young, I had no idea what they would look like now, as they all looked similar. They all look fine, but if I was being fussy, and after super strength, a couple would stand out more than others. My holstein heifers I bought were around 6 months old, I wish I bought some at 1 yr. Because the heifers I bought at a year, did change some, but were farther along, and they didn't adjust as slowly as the younger stock. The 4 I bought came in, took a little bit to adjust, but not as long as the 6 month olds.

Either way, its your choice, personally I would go after something a year old, or bred (freshly bred, not 1 month from calving).

Jeff

11. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear you're in western NC, because there are NO cows in this side of the state, except beef :(

12. Rickydink

Rickydink Retired Navy Homesteader

I am near Valdese, west of Hickory in Burke County. I began my search online by looking for Guernsey breeders and made contact with a few. I kept pestering a dairy farmer nearby and he was willing to part with her. I have seen some Jersey s listed in the IWANNA classifieds recently. From what I have since learned, I must agree with JeffNY that an older heifer/cow that is bred back would be better for most folks. We have enjoyed raising Elsie from a bottle but we will have 2 years invested in her before we get a drop of milk.

Rick